Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Postulations: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 10866 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Postulations: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #30
Poetic justice really, they missed 3-4 sitters from infront, probably fitting they kick the impossible one after the siren. They were just smarter than us in the last 2-3 minutes.

Yes, I think that's fair enough. Still plenty of learning and growth left in this group. I think I even spotted a green shoot or two............

Reply #31
Just heartbreaking. Utterly draining. Felt like we were going to steal it for a fleeting moment when SPS got that dinky kick to Gibbo, but then bad decision to kick down the line and then lack of effort cost us. Still we took it up to them. Would be nice to steal one once in a while. God knows plenty of sides do it to us. Everyone looked out on their feet.
I'd give blokes like Murphy a miss next week and write it off as "managed". Plenty of kids to choose from. Time to experiment.
Can't say I was bitterly disappointed. Didn't think we'd win and Port had a few chances at the end to ice the game. Sort of thing we'd do and unlike Port we'd ultimately lose it. For the main part our blokes showed a bit but couldn't make the most of our opportunities in forward 50.
One thing I will say though,  after that effort if we come out next week and played like a pack of girls against North I'll do a Terry Wallace.

I'm bitterly disappointed but not for the same reason I've been previously disappointed. Taking it up to the best side will make me pleased, just not right now. It would've been such a vital win for our chances as it's obvious we are good enough now. That's where I'm bitterly disappointed. This and crap losses to the like of Melbourne might bite us on the arse at the business end of the year.

Reply #32
Poetic justice really, they missed 3-4 sitters from infront, probably fitting they kick the impossible one after the siren. They were just smarter than us in the last 2-3 minutes.

Not interested in poetic justice. What they miss isn't our problem. We just control what we can. In the last minute we should've held on.

Like I said during the week, it's part of the journey of maturity but it still stings.

Reply #33
We actually played decently two weeks in a row against top opposition , I'll take that small mercy.

Cripps is really struggling with the attention,  must be carrying a knee or something, seems to be running on half rat power.  Mind willing,  body not right?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
Plowman is a serious worry that should have spoiled... also 2 big guys in the pack for us on that Gibbons kick... surely punch it out... not let McKenzie take that mark which set up the goal.... did the Gov play today? He was invisible and back to his insipid worst

Reply #35
Fact is we were in front and didn't show the composure in the last 45 sec. We missed a few too earlier on. We're a bonfide finals type side now so this loss was a stinger even if it did show we can again match it with the best. In such a close season a couple of poor starts early in the year might cost us (can't believe i just said that about Carlton...lol).

Cuningham had a chance late on his left to ice the game and I guess folk will blame Plowman but I thought the Plow had a decent game on Gray and took the points but will unfairly be blamed.
Didnt think we did that well in the ruck as we should have either with Lycett out...Billy Idol the Port ruckman seemed to be everywhere and was a nuisance all game.
Cripps was well held again but we rotated the workload and most players gave us something, we should beat Nth easily...

Reply #36
Bitterly disappointing and in the end the difference was Dixon and bigger bodies in the middle. We really needed to get Weitering to the Dixon contests more often, but it didn’t work out that way.

Plowman was excellent- I’ve been a critic but he played very well and it’s not fair that his man kicks the match winner.

Walsh was fantastic, this guy wants success

Cripps and Ed weren’t dominant but did a lot do work in the guts against Wines, Powell P

Harry McKay has some real X factor and can play. Very effective.

Samo was good late and I still feel is largely wasted down back

Murphy wasn’t great in the first half but willed himself into the contest and in the end was good

Defence battled hard and there weren’t too many howlers that I noticed

Kennedy, Newnes worked hard but too many mistakes and I have to be critical of Setterfield and Cunners who weren’t involved enough.

Reply #37
I see it different, Ports poor goalkicking late kept us in the game, Dixon went off and they only had two on the bench. We had a lot going for us and still couldn't win it.
If Dixon had kicked straight it would have been a comfortable Port win imo.

Thats one way to look at it, sure.

But how did Port get those chances?
50-50 umpiring calls went their way......especially in the last.

Harry in a holding match in the goalsquare = free kick port. Turn that the other way and they don't get close. Better yet, don't call anything but play on....and we win that game.

Eddies tackle, dropping the ball....nah, play on.

I think we got a kicking in danger called against us in the last....at least i think it was for that as i have no idea what it was for otherwise. You get that paid about 5% of the time......or 100% of the time if its against us in the last quarter.

So sure, have that belief if you want and it is somewhat valid. But Port don't get those calls if the umpiring was consistent....or even fair.

Reply #38
Cuningham had a chance late on his left to ice the game and I guess folk will blame Plowman but I thought the Plow had a decent game on Gray and took the points but will unfairly be blamed.
Didnt think we did that well in the ruck as we should have either with Lycett out...Billy Idol the Port ruckman seemed to be everywhere and was a nuisance all game.
Cripps was well held again but we rotated the workload and most players gave us something, we should beat Nth easily...

That's where Kreuzer is handy. He'd have done plenty of bullocking work and got good touches.

Plowman went well just our lack of composure in that last minute. That's just a part of the journey as we mature.

Reply #39
If Dixon had kicked straight it would have been a comfortable Port win imo.
If any one of the umpires had spotted the illegal blocks which take out his opponent we win.
Apparently he’s the most “blocked for” player in the league. Obviously a well rehearsed set play.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #40
Thats one way to look at it, sure.

But how did Port get those chances?
50-50 umpiring calls went their way......especially in the last.

Harry in a holding match in the goalsquare = free kick port. Turn that the other way and they don't get close. Better yet, don't call anything but play on....and we win that game.

Eddies tackle, dropping the ball....nah, play on.

I think we got a kicking in danger called against us in the last....at least i think it was for that as i have no idea what it was for otherwise. You get that paid about 5% of the time......or 100% of the time if its against us in the last quarter.

So sure, have that belief if you want and it is somewhat valid. But Port don't get those calls if the umpiring was consistent....or even fair.

And despite poor umpiring, bigger PA bodies in the middle, yada yada, it came down to an exit ball 45-50 seconds from victory and instead of playing keepings off, a kick to a contest, a turnover and one of the games superstars ends up with the ball/game on his boot. Rest is history. Point is, composure was needed from the leaders and it wasnt there, especially Doc. Sounds harsh and critical, that's the reality, we never should have lost that game like that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #41
And despite poor umpiring, bigger PA bodies in the middle, yada yada, it came down to an exit ball 45-50 seconds from victory and instead of playing keepings off, a kick to a contest, a turnover and one of the games superstars ends up with the ball/game on his boot. Rest is history. Point is, composure was needed from the leaders and it wasnt there, especially Doc. Sounds harsh and critical, that's the reality, we never should have lost that game like that.

I don't disagree with that, as i said earlier. Just saying that Port were given a leg up of sorts.

We SHOULD be good enough to win from there. But, at this stage, i'm just happy that we are in that position.

Thats our 4 game from our last 6 that has been decided by 3 points or less. The only other games was Dogs last week (Flogged them) and saints who won by 3 goals.

That kind of experience we get from being in that position will only help us in the future.

In case you've forgotten. We haven't exactly been in many winnable positions over the past 3 years, so its still a bit of a learning experience. ;)

Reply #42

That's the tough part of the maturing process of an up and coming side. Composure has hurt us a couple of times this year. Knowing how to ice the clock is a part of it. Those type of losses hurt more now than it would've back in the days we were on the bottom, which wasn't long ago.

Reply #43
If any one of the umpires had spotted the illegal blocks which take out his opponent we win.
Apparently he’s the most “blocked for” player in the league. Obviously a well rehearsed set play.

The block ruling is perplexing.
Dixon's mark in the last was very obviously thanks to a block from one of their young brigade. He positioned, poked his butt out, braced, and kept Jones out of the contest. Couldn't have been more overt if he tried 🦗🦗🦗
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #44
We were not smart enough with Dixon, the Hoff and Marshall were just played as decoys and we fell for it everytime and left Jones one out to often. No one wanted to get in front of Dixon either, it was a no brainer Port would kick it to Dixon but I only saw Docherty once  and young Walsh get in front of him. There was one piece of play where he ran down the ground and about three of our blokes jumped out the road and let him through.