Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Postulations: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 11131 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Postulations: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #45
Wayne Carey has said that games decided by less than a kick are usually down to luck. Unfortunately Gray is a great clutch player - any one of his team mates would've missed.

Anyhoo............

Reply #46
Like to know what Newnes is doing to continue getting games.   Still isn't doing anywhere nearly enough for mind and the mistakes are something a player of his experience shouldn't be making.  
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #47
We have North, Hawthorn, Freo and West Coast the next 4 games, not sure the order of the last 2. Would like to win 3 of them.

Reply #48
We were not smart enough with Dixon, the Hoff and Marshall were just played as decoys and we fell for it everytime and left Jones one out to often. No one wanted to get in front of Dixon either, it was a no brainer Port would kick it to Dixon but I only saw Docherty once  and young Walsh get in front of him. There was one piece of play where he ran down the ground and about three of our blokes jumped out the road and let him through.

I commented in game. Thankfully Jones started playing in front of Dixon. Might have been early in q3. Dixon was the difference imo. Both sides missed easy goals. I think on balance Dixon got the better of umpiring calls compared to Harry. The 50:50 one's didn't favour H, yet Dixon gifted overt blocks. Evidently blocking in the contest is a free kick. We were unlucky in that regard as I saw it.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #49
So what were the frees against H for?

And noticed that Cripps gets a lot of in the back calls - is that something the opposition has worked out with him?

Not saying those calls aren’t right just curious

Reply #50
We got dicked with the umpiring badly in that last but regardless should’ve been able to hold the fcking ball for 1 minute for chrisakes

Reply #51
On the bright side, if we can take one more step up as a side $hit we'll be winning some games.

Reply #52
Gee we did a hell of a lot right today, can't knock the effort. The come back after they kicked the first 3 was scintillating. Walshy jumping for that mark into the oncoming pack and eyes only for the ball, who's Connor Rozee again? Walshy definitely needs to polish up his kicking but his work rate today was elite. Gibbons was clever all day...except that faaaaarken kick down the line with 45 sec to go. Arrrrrrrgggggg!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #53
On the bright side, if we can take one more step up as a side $hit we'll be winning some games.
45 more seconds of composure and we are the talk of the town make no mistake about it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #54
Consolation - suddenly the future looks brighter, but boy I’m still smarting over losing that one🤬👹
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #55
Saw a write up of the scratch match with the leftovers with no mention of  O’Brien or Stocker which was disappointing.
‘ CARLTON'S non-selected players had the chance to impress and stake their claims for selection against St Kilda on Sunday.

After no reserves scratch match last week as they adjusted to life in the hub, the Blues had 17 players take to the field for a hot and physical contest against the Saints.

It marked a welcome return to action for a trio of Blues, with Paddy Dow, Harrison Macreadie and Jack Silvagni playing their first games in a number of weeks.

It was Dow and Macreadie's first games since the restart, while Silvagni - who kicked a goal in the third quarter - made his return after he sustained a bruised lung in the AFL win over Essendon.

Dow featured extensively in the midfield as well as having stints up forward, impressing with his burst and sidestep in stoppage situations.’

Reply #56
Thats one way to look at it, sure.

But how did Port get those chances?
50-50 umpiring calls went their way......especially in the last.

Harry in a holding match in the goalsquare = free kick port. Turn that the other way and they don't get close. Better yet, don't call anything but play on....and we win that game.

Eddies tackle, dropping the ball....nah, play on.

I think we got a kicking in danger called against us in the last....at least i think it was for that as i have no idea what it was for otherwise. You get that paid about 5% of the time......or 100% of the time if its against us in the last quarter.

So sure, have that belief if you want and it is somewhat valid. But Port don't get those calls if the umpiring was consistent....or even fair.

Here is another way of looking at it
Port had 46 more possessions, better disposal efficiency and two less turn overs.
We had seven more hitouts(not good enough considering Ladhams was the opponent) and controlled the stoppages, Port had a slight edge in the centre clearances.
Port had three more free kicks...20 to 17 ....

IMO Port worked harder, used the ball slightly better and had a couple of less turnovers which added up to about 3 points in their favour....3 free kicks there way wasnt a massive factor IMHO.
We didnt man them up as well given they had the ball 46 more times and it cost us at the end when Gray was hitup...we still have too many dumb errors...ie Cripps spoiling Weitering in goal square..Farrell crumbs, easy goal....Dixon handballs to well known long bomb expert Farrell who kicks long goal, Farrells opponent non existent, think it was SPS.
Levi misses like the old Levi from 15m at a crucial stage then Gray kicks the tough one.....we had a our chances IMO.
Think there a few more areas to work on than umpires....

Reply #57
They made mistakes too.

I’m so disappointed, we had that won. But we were trying to hold on for the last 5 minutes and not attacking where they threw everything at it. Still it stinks.

How good was that Walsh mark and totally see he is a fierce competitor and doesnt put up with any crap, can’t wait to see how good he’ll get and hopefully it will be with us

Reply #58
Consolation - suddenly the future looks brighter, but boy I’m still smarting over losing that one🤬👹
They hurt more when you're becoming a good side with a chance.

Our percentage is still, over 100. You don't need a huge win in these low scoring times to bump it up by 10%. GC percentage rose 8% on the back of a 32pt win. We need a couple more thumping wins to get right up there.

Reply #59
They made mistakes too.

I’m so disappointed, we had that won. But we were trying to hold on for the last 5 minutes and not attacking where they threw everything at it. Still it stinks.

How good was that Walsh mark and totally see he is a fierce competitor and doesnt put up with any crap, can’t wait to see how good he’ll get and hopefully it will be with us
Walsh was great today, great courage and he worked hard all day, he might get more possies in other games but he will learn a lot from today and take a lot of confidence from the game.
Docherty also took a nice brave mark that will probably go unnoticed but he could have got cleaned up as well...