Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Casey at Casey Fields (Read 19600 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northrn Blues vs. Casey at Casey Fields

Reply #15
Brock may have footy smarts but his massive weakness is definitely lack of pace, especially when tring to get to a contested ball or chasing opposition ball carriers. He just gets left in their wake plodding along.

We definitely need a better option to him. Simply put, he is not the future.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
Exactly even if he was worth his spot to some extent (which he isn't), time to move on. Same goes with Carrazzo who I thought was super on Thursday night, he needs to play like that every week to warrant a spot in the side IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
@Carrots

Carrazzo's main issue would be his fitness. If he could stay relatively injury-free then I'd be happy to see him play on next year while the younger guys develop a bit more.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18
I thought Graham was good against Freo. Doesn't panic when he gets it in his hands, he just didn't get a lot of it.

Based on watching the television, it seemed that Graham was making reasonable position at times, especially for those non contested possessions, but seemed to be ignored.  Generally happens to young players who are establishing themselves in a team.  Team mates tend to look for alternatives early days.

Reply #19
Jeffy G did a bit early but from then on was the invisible man. Warnock poor, Army busy but had a hobble up after the siren, Cripps a massive ice pack but did come back on. Lucas got a bit of it but didn't greatly impress me.

In terms of possible ins Armfield and maybe Cripps would be it as far as I'm concerned, unless Lucas was given another chance on so-so form or Garlett picked against form.

Reply #20
According to the AFL website, Gawn and Fitzpatrick had over 80 taps between them. That suggests Warnock couldn't have got many, although it was very much a day for stoppages. I find that disappointing because Warnock really did step up last week.
Then again, maybe he read the article about him? That would not give any9one much confidence, especially when a career appears to be on the line.

Holman, Temay and Garlett continue to disappoint. Holman appears to have really gone off the boil. In fact, it looks like the Irish guys are closer to senior games.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
According to the AFL website, Gawn and Fitzpatrick had over 80 taps between them. That suggests Warnock couldn't have got many, although it was very much a day for stoppages. I find that disappointing because Warnock really did step up last week.

I suspect every game that Wood takes two or more contested marks results in Warnock peering deeper into oblivion!

206cm Warnock has an uncomfortable choice, get with the "Contest some marks" program or get packing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Johnson should get dropped before McLean, Bell was ordinary as well and Graham was barely passable.
Johnson went OK against a woeful St Kilda but his other three games have been well below the required standard, I'm all for giving kids a go but not if it means rewarding mediocrity.
If we drop McLean before any of those three we aren't fair dinkum.

Reckon Brock is gone....came on fresh vs Freo and their blokes just ran away from him......agree Bell wasnt much good but i though Graham was promising.
I'd keep playing Johnson, no point going back to the tried and failed....

Johnson was terrible on Thursday night, we might as well have played one short, as it stands right now McLean is miles ahead of him.
There's no point playing kids for the sake of it then leaving them in the seniors when they're showing nothing, it breeds a loser mentality and gives the club an excuse for failure.
I heard enough of the young team excuses during Ratten's time.

Mate let it go re Ratten, you'll be still on here blaming him in a decade. You were one of the biggest voices out there saying Ratten should be winning a premiership with the list and now you blame the poor list on him. The fact that you still take pot shots at him says it all.

You do understand the philosophy of playing and developing players don't you? If Mclean plays ahead of Bell or Graham, then we are definitely not fair dinkum about moving forward. It's not rocket science.

I hope to god that Johnson, Graham and others do start to step up because think of the future if they don't. What do we do if the Graham's and Johnson's of this world prove to be a bust? This on top of the wash out of taller draftee's makes for a pretty dire future.

As an extension of this; ask yourself what would have happened if back in 2002 Simpson hadn't come on? It was a pretty bare cupboard and this crop (last 2-3 years) is going the same way. Aside from Menzel I don't see any real stars coming through from that group.

Reply #23
I hope to god that Johnson, Graham and others do start to step up because think of the future if they don't. What do we do if the Graham's and Johnson's of this world prove to be a bust? This on top of the wash out of taller draftee's makes for a pretty dire future.

As an extension of this; ask yourself what would have happened if back in 2002 Simpson hadn't come on? It was a pretty bare cupboard and this crop (last 2-3 years) is going the same way. Aside from Menzel I don't see any real stars coming through from that group.

I think Bell and Buckley will make the grade and I saw Cripps play in the VFL earlier in the year and he looked a cut above that standard.
Not sure about Graham, he sort of looks OK but doesn't seem to have any weapons, he could be the sort of player who comes and goes in three of four seasons and plays 20 or 30 games.
I'm not taken by Johnson at all so far, hopefully he can improve.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #24

I think Bell and Buckley will make the grade and I saw Cripps play in the VFL earlier in the year and he looked a cut above that standard.
Not sure about Graham, he sort of looks OK but doesn't seem to have any weapons, he could be the sort of player who comes and goes in three of four seasons and plays 20 or 30 games.
I'm not taken by Johnson at all so far, hopefully he can improve.

I think Graham will be around longer than Bell or Johnson. Bell has more negatives to his game than positives. He can run and throw his body around but he doesn't find enough of it and then turns it over when he does get it by completely missing a target or getting run down from behind. He showed so much promise in his first few games but now he's useless.

I like Graham, Cripps and Cachia (I would rather Cachia in than Curnow TBH). Not convinced by Bell or Johnson, and I hope to Christ Lucas and Temay are gone at the end of the year.

Reply #25
I hope to god that Johnson, Graham and others do start to step up because think of the future if they don't. Wh

I would rather Cachia in than Curnow.

Curnow has had a great season and we really struggled when he was injured.  Almost the best 'shut down' going around.

Re: Northern Blues vs. Casey at Casey Fields

Reply #26
Graham is an enigma. Best case scenario see's him become a Sam Mitchell type which I believe lies beneath. Worst case he slips back to the NB's and fades into obscurity.

Bell is an enormous talent that must be persevered with. Remember Kouta played 50 games in the reserves before making his way in the seniors. Imagine what Bell (who has amassed half that total in the seniors) could achieve when he passes 50 games.

Johnson just turned 19 and is a fierce competitor who has grown with every outing. I'm impressed.

Cripps is the cream of the crop who will no doubt set the bench mark when he hits his straps.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #27

I like Graham, Cripps and Cachia (I would rather Cachia in than Curnow TBH). Not convinced by Bell or Johnson, and I hope to Christ Lucas and Temay are gone at the end of the year.

If we were brutally honest we're not yet sure that any of them will make it, Cripps and Buckley look the most likely but you never really know until they've got 50 games or so against their name.
I've seen enough young blokes show promise then disappear over the years to hold onto my horses.
Let's hope at least two of them make the cut otherwise we'll be in trouble.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Re: Northern Blues vs. Casey at Casey Fields

Reply #28
Bell was a mature aged recruit.  Time ain't on his side.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?