Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 35874 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #165
I was shouted down on these forums when I wrote that it might be 2018 before C.Curnow is fully clear of the effects of glandular fever. One year to get over it and another year to catch up on what he missed is completely reasonable and not beyond comprehension.

Next year is a big year for C.Curnow and H.McKay! ;)

That's because your opinion on the effects of glandular fever is nothing more or less than your own belief.  Some of us rely on practical experience and medical literature.

Generally, folk who contract glandular fever as adults take longer to get over it than do teenagers.  If Charlie was still suffering from the after effects of glandular fever, he wouldn't be suiting up for the NBs, let alone the seniors.

Charlie's problem is that he is being challenged in the unfamiliar role of midfielder.  He should do better if he was able to focus on being a lead up forward.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #166
That's because your opinion on the effects of glandular fever is nothing more or less than your own belief.  Some of us rely on practical experience and medical literature.

My opinion is formed by first hand experience.

And you mean health authorities like the UK NHS;
Prolonged fatigue. More than 1 in every 10 people with glandular fever will experience prolonged fatigue, which lasts for six months or more after the initial infection. ... This is a poorly understood condition that causes persistent fatigue and a range of other symptoms, such as headaches and joint pain.

Now I'm no medical genius. But it seems fair to me if posters and experts freely claim missing a pre-season with injury rehab affects a player in their subsequent football season, then having a dose of glandular fever is certainly the equivalent of a pre-season interrupted by rehab and should have equal effects on performance. I can't see how these experts and posters can excuse one form of pre-season interruption and blame the other without being two-faced!

Finally, Charlie came to Carlton as an elite athlete, a kid who could run the pants off opponents and do so with considerable ease. If I recall on his first attempt he finished high in time trials, equivalent to his AFL seasoned brother. That is a great sign for a young player, it not only declares aerobic capacity but work ethic because you obviously don't get that sitting on the couch. So he still has that in him, and if he maintains the work ethic it will return. But at the moment he can barely beat a pumpkin vine off the pitch and wouldn't have enough breath left to even try and blow out a candle! That is not the Charlie Curnow we recruited, if it wasn't the Glandular Fever what is the reason for it?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #167

Generally, folk who contract glandular fever as adults take longer to get over it than do teenagers.  If Charlie was still suffering from the after effects of glandular fever, he wouldn't be suiting up for the NBs, let alone the seniors.

Charlie's problem is that he is being challenged in the unfamiliar role of midfielder.  He should do better if he was able to focus on being a lead up forward.
I reckon there would be more pressure on young kid playing in our fwd line than in our midfield given the scrutiny our fwd line has gotten over the years and still gets.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #168
My opinion is formed by first hand experience.

And you mean health authorities like the UK NHS;
Now I'm no medical genius. But it seems fair to me if posters and experts freely claim missing a pre-season with injury rehab affects a player in their subsequent football season, then having a dose of glandular fever is certainly the equivalent of a pre-season interrupted by rehab and should have equal effects on performance. I can't see how these experts and posters can excuse one form of pre-season interruption and blame the other without being two-faced!

Finally, Charlie came to Carlton as an elite athlete, a kid who could run the pants off opponents and do so with considerable ease. If I recall on his first attempt he finished high in time trials, equivalent to his AFL seasoned brother. That is a great sign for a young player, it not only declares aerobic capacity but work ethic because you obviously don't get that sitting on the couch. So he still has that in him, and if he maintains the work ethic it will return. But at the moment he can barely beat a pumpkin vine off the pitch and wouldn't have enough breath left to even try and blow out a candle! That is not the Charlie Curnow we recruited, if it wasn't the Glandular Fever what is the reason for it?

This is the part that doesn't make a lot of sense.

There is no disputing that glandular fever can knock people about.

However, Charlie was an elite athletic person from an elite athletic family prior to Glandular Fever, and whilst the ongoing effects of it, may have really knocked him about it has just ticked on 12 months since it hit him.

I have no doubt that the recovery time can be great, but it would be greater for a person who wasnt an elite athlete to begin with, as they would have a strong fitness base to return to.

We don't know if he has suffered any other ill effects in the process of his recovery.

I would imagine that 12 months on, he would likely be back to fairly similar levels of fitness that he had prior to.  At the moment, he is not really showing any of that.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #169
G'day guys...Happy Easter!

Would have loved the win, but gee how good was it to see the young blokes yet again stand up, improve and do more during an AFL game?

How good was young Zac Fisher?

Bring in Cam Polson this week for Daisy Thomas.

I know I got shot down from all corners a couple of weeks ago when I suggested to play the kids - but look how good they've been. The selection of Tom Williamson and Zac Fisher, along with keeping guys like Harry Macreadie, Jarrod Pickett and Charlie Curnow in the AFL team, shows Bolton is thinking along the same lines. Gotta play the kids. Good to see young Curnow do better. Why would you play him in the VFL right now? Crazy! Get AFL games into him early, and others.

I cannot see why anyone would want the likes of the tried and tested, and failed, 'mature bodies' in Thomas, Kerridge, Palmer, etc to play instead of the kids if you had the choice between the two. Bolton is doing the right thing.

I'd be getting games into the likes of Cuningham, Jaksch, Gallucci and McKay soon also.

Reply #170

Would have loved the win, but gee how good was it to see the young blokes yet again stand up, improve and do more during an AFL game?

I know I got shot down from all corners a couple of weeks ago when I suggested to play the kids - but look how good they've been. The selection of Tom Williamson and Zac Fisher, along with keeping guys like Harry Macreadie, Jarrod Pickett and Charlie Curnow in the AFL team, shows Bolton is thinking along the same lines. Gotta play the kids. Good to see young Curnow do better. Why would you play him in the VFL right now? Crazy! Get AFL games into him early, and others.

I cannot see why anyone would want the likes of the tried and tested, and failed, 'mature bodies' in Thomas, Kerridge, Palmer, etc to play instead of the kids if you had the choice between the two. Bolton is doing the right thing.

I'd be getting games into the likes of Cuningham, Jaksch, Gallucci and McKay soon also.

Whilst I don't dispute that this isnt a good strategy, I think we may have been able to get the win vs Melbourne and Gold Coast with the odd more mature player.

Of course, thats no guarantee, but we would be having a very different conversation now if we were 3 and 1, instead of 1 and 3.

Paul Hewson

Reply #171
Whilst I don't dispute that this isnt a good strategy, I think we may have been able to get the win vs Melbourne and Gold Coast with the odd more mature player.

Of course, thats no guarantee, but we would be having a very different conversation now if we were 3 and 1, instead of 1 and 3.

No way of telling. However, I would go the other way, and say that we did as well as we did with the young blokes playing, and that we would not have done as well with the likes of Kerridge, Palmer, etc playing. Bolton has got it right IMO. You can tell that the clean hands, pace, zip and skills from the younger blokes is much better IMO.

Reply #172
No way of telling. However, I would go the other way, and say that we did as well as we did with the young blokes playing, and that we would not have done as well with the likes of Kerridge, Palmer, etc playing. Bolton has got it right IMO. You can tell that the clean hands, pace, zip and skills from the younger blokes is much better IMO.

We'll never know Pratty.

I think the team without any one player doing more than another got us in touching distance to GC, and you may very well be right depending on which player was interchangeable with another.

We could also argue that Palmer in for Thomas could have done it.

Paul Hewson

Reply #173

Pratty, said the same thing somewhere else that I reckon its going to be full on youth and the older tried and failed only making up the numbers through injury etc....I'm all for Polson
playing this week.

Reply #174
Disagree, need to keep some old heads - and bodies - out there.

Palmer for Daisy the obvious 'swap'.

Polson's a small kid, seemingly without the gifts of a SPS (with all respect) or the size of a Curnow the younger or Weitering....

there's no real hurry. Fisher looks likely.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #175
I reckon if Poulson comes in then probably one of the other kids will be rested. Port in Adelaide is a tough gig.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #176
Disagree, need to keep some old heads - and bodies - out there.

Palmer for Daisy the obvious 'swap'.

Polson's a small kid, seemingly without the gifts of a SPS (with all respect) or the size of a Curnow the younger or Weitering....

there's no real hurry. Fisher looks likely.

Polson has a very mature rig.

Looks like a slightly thicker version of Murph and a much stronger version of Murph at the same age.

Very powerful through the legs and arse.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................