Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 36136 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #150
I can't see where it's been mentioned, but young Zac made the R4 AFL's top 10. I guess it was a toss up between his blistering run down tackle and beautiful goal from near the boundary. The latter won.

Take a look. That's a green shoot if ever I've seen one.

Kudos Zac. That's a fine accolade for any debutant.
Take a bow son. ;)

yep no fear, on with the job.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #151
I think It's unfair to compare Charlie at this stage of his career with Kouta.

I didn't compare him to Kouta in relation to any aspect of his football talent  - I merely said I thought he resembled him.

Reply #152
I didn't compare him to Kouta in relation to any aspect of his football talent  - I merely said I thought he resembled him.

Not aimed at you RR. Just a general assertion.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #153
My only judgement of Curnow is about his workrate.
I cam forgive a lack of experience, but being a Curnow, elite athlete runs in the family and we haven't seen much of it at this stage.

Ed is like the energizer bunny and his sister is a commonwealth games medallist in running.

Charlie thus far has a bit of flair and not much else.  I'm looking for more drive from a second year player who needs to get a move on and start showing improvement on what he did in his first season.

9th game on Saturday night.

Reply #154

Exactly....9 games. Add in a few injuries, glandular fever as well. And people are disappointed with certain parts of his game.

No issue with supporters mentioning some areas the young ones need to improve but we all have to keep reminding ourselves out of the 9 kids that played on Saturday only 1 played more then 12 games (Weitering)

Even the greats like Judd, Buddy, Ablett had glaring deficiencies that early on.   

Reply #155
My only judgement of Curnow is about his workrate.
I cam forgive a lack of experience, but being a Curnow, elite athlete runs in the family and we haven't seen much of it at this stage.

Ed is like the energizer bunny and his sister is a commonwealth games medallist in running.

Charlie thus far has a bit of flair and not much else.  I'm looking for more drive from a second year player who needs to get a move on and start showing improvement on what he did in his first season.

He coming along just fine.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #156
Exactly....9 games. Add in a few injuries, glandular fever as well. And people are disappointed with certain parts of his game.

No issue with supporters mentioning some areas the young ones need to improve but we all have to keep reminding ourselves out of the 9 kids that played on Saturday only 1 played more then 12 games (Weitering)

Even the greats like Judd, Buddy, Ablett had glaring deficiencies that early on.   

Spose your'e right Shawny and I fully understand there 9 kids playing. I guess what I was trying to say then I am not seeing the intensity from Charlie that the other kids have shown, but as I said in my post, its probably due to the facts that he is just a big kid and the effects of the GF are still not out of his system. Just needs time and decent run at it (which he is getting).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #157
I raised curnow pre-game as a bit of a lucky inclusion as his form is not that flash. More than happy for the club to keep picking him but he'd want to put in some better performances to avoid being dropped.

I thought he took a small step forward on sat night. Missed those goals but at least he had a couple of shots. Good to see.

Polson needs a game... tap on the shoulder for Daisy.

Reply #158

I know, and thats why Im not expecting star value at the minute, but I want to see some progress in his development after his second pre season at AFL level.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/C/Charlie_Curnow.html

I just want to see him getting a few more posessions, spending a bit more time on ground, and getting more involved.  Saturday's match was probably his best at this level, but he isnt getting involved as much as I would like.

For reference, I would like to see him more like Jack Silvagni at this stage of his developement.  I dont even expect him to be performing at that level.

We are not talking pick 30 odd like Cunningham, we are talking about a top 10 draftee here.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #159
I know, and thats why Im not expecting star value at the minute, but I want to see some progress in his development after his second pre season at AFL level.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/C/Charlie_Curnow.html

I just want to see him getting a few more posessions, spending a bit more time on ground, and getting more involved.  Saturday's match was probably his best at this level, but he isnt getting involved as much as I would like.

For reference, I would like to see him more like Jack Silvagni at this stage of his developement.  I dont even expect him to be performing at that level.

We are not talking pick 30 odd like Cunningham, we are talking about a top 10 draftee here.
Cunningham was pick 23 but your point is valid.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #160
Spose your'e right Shawny and I fully understand there 9 kids playing. I guess what I was trying to say then I am not seeing the intensity from Charlie that the other kids have shown, but as I said in my post, its probably due to the facts that he is just a big kid and the effects of the GF are still not out of his system. Just needs time and decent run at it (which he is getting).

I gather he's still growing too?

That never helps....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #161

I was shouted down on these forums when I wrote that it might be 2018 before C.Curnow is fully clear of the effects of glandular fever. One year to get over it and another year to catch up on what he missed is completely reasonable and not beyond comprehension.

Next year is a big year for C.Curnow and H.McKay! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #162
Just watched the highlights package on the CFC website. What a horrible 5 minutes we played in the 3rd (from 9:20 to go to approx 4:30 to go). We went from 49 a piece to 31 points down. We actually won the last qtr by a goal (5.3 to 4.3).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #163
I raised curnow pre-game as a bit of a lucky inclusion as his form is not that flash. More than happy for the club to keep picking him but he'd want to put in some better performances to avoid being dropped.

I thought he took a small step forward on sat night. Missed those goals but at least he had a couple of shots. Good to see.

Polson needs a game... tap on the shoulder for Daisy.

This ∆∆∆∆
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #164
Just watched the first half for the first time. We shoulda been 4 up at half time! (Shoulda, woulda, coulda!!)