Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday (Read 73721 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday

Reply #345
Notice no one talking about Daisy?  Obviously his game was pretty good particularly when the game was running away from us in the third quarter.

I'll talk about Daisy. Thought he was terrible and wont be in the side round 1. Don't have anything against him but can't see him getting a game all year actually (baring serious injuries)

Reply #346
I don’t think any one player will replace Gibbs.  We have several new and developing players with different abilities and attributes who will more than cover his absence in a very different midfield set up.

As for Daisy, he played his role and was important at times, but some of his decision making and disposals were woeful.  I guess we can put that down to blowing the cobwebs out ...

I feel sorry for Daisy, if he isn't clearly BoG by some margin he gets bagged mercilessly, in that JLT game he was clearly among our best and gets no credit.

The coach wanted creative and it was the old blokes including Kreuzer, Thomas, Wright, Murphy, Plowman and Simmo that got busy creating those opportunities for the likes of Dow, Cripps, Pickett and Garlett that everyone is raving about. The fans focus on the people in the final link and ignore the acts and events that started it all off! But quite often it was the older blokes causing the Aints structures to break down, or the older blokes forcing the turnover. It's not always the case that you have to have your hands on the ball either, some of those runs and leads wouldn't have happened if guys like Wright and Thomas hadn't created space by dragging Aints players away from the ball.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #347
Yes, Weitering is pure talent and will play when available, even if he goes forward (which I'm not really a fan of) or plays a swingman type role.

Weitering is a gun.  Why are people questioning him?  Because a few people on here said he was poor last year?  Sheep.  Actually he was ok last year if you look at the SEN rankings per game.  He often received a 7/10 for his game.  Not bad when you are 20.

Reply #348
I'll talk about Daisy. Thought he was terrible and wont be in the side round 1. Don't have anything against him but can't see him getting a game all year actually (baring serious injuries)

Ridiculous comment.  He was one of our best.

Reply #349
Weitering is a gun.  Why are people questioning him?  Because a few people on here said he was poor last year?  Sheep.  Actually he was ok last year if you look at the SEN rankings per game.  He often received a 7/10 for his game.  Not bad when you are 20.

Yes, I find peoples bias extraordinary.

For example, SoJ gets pumped up here, he's also a 2nd year player. Yet his rankings relative to Weitering are ordinary, yet apparently we are dumping Weitering and keeping SoJ. I just have to assume it's an nepotism thing or something like that, because it makes no sense from the football or the stats.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #350
re: Kennedy......blue collar worker, lot of stuff he does wont be noticed like blocking out other players, he isnt flashy and wont rack up 30 possies every week but he gives us a genuine hard body around the ball which helps when Cripps is playing forward which looks like is going to happen more and more to help boost our scoring.
IMO we are better balanced now without Gibbs...Dow is quicker and just as capable of hitting targets and kicking goals, Obrien will take a while but I saw how he kicks the footy and he will be your Gaff type outside ball carrying type who just needs what Gaff did and thats games and some time to pick up the pace and extra physicality you get at senior level.

re: Daisy....think he will play most games, maybe miss a few games where he is being managed ie Interstaters.....Bolton and the players like him in the team, reckon thats the bottom line, leadership is still a bit iffy on the field and I think he adds to it....when you see players like Matty Wright and Thomas directing traffic it probably tells you we are still light on for real leaders especially losing Gibbs and Docherty..
Think Daisy will be better mid season when its more traditional footy and the pace is off the game with the cooler wet conditions and he can use his guile and experience to get a kick rather than having to do too much running in the fine weather chasing younger kids....

Reply #351
Ridiculous comment.  He was one of our best.
Not interested in a slanging match. It's my opinion only in response to Thry's earlier post. As  I said have nothing against him. Don't even think I've bagged him in the past? In fact was hoping that he'd come good, but thought he was very average. Seems like a reasonable team man but he's past it. IMO

Reply #352
Think Daisy will be better mid season when its more traditional footy and the pace is off the game with the cooler wet conditions and he can use his guile and experience to get a kick rather than having to do too much running in the fine weather chasing younger kids....

Posters are all over this result like a rash, but it's JLT, it's JLT people.

The media are all talking up the strength of the squads, but.....just looking at our squad alone.

Docherty
Weitering
SPS
ACoS
Williamson
Rowe
Lang
O'Shea

All were not playing and I suspect they are all "currently in or around" the best 22 we can field when they are fit and ready.

Personally, I'm hope we take a horses for courses approach, and mix and match our selection heavily based on opponents. It's the one thing AFL teams should be capable of given their list size, and the one thing coaches and match committees do not do very well.

Kids like Dow and O'Brien might be specials, but they are going to fade through the season, even someone Cripps size and strength struggled/faded through his first real season. He was probably lucky he broke that leg, it seems to have changed his trajectory compared to the general playing population, and we think of his second season as his first. But in reality his first senior season came after two full pre-seasons.

The rigors of AFL will get them, they are just kids and the first game is always a high.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #353
Posters are all over this result like a rash, but it's JLT, it's JLT people.

The media are all talking up the strength of the squads, but.....just looking at our squad alone.

Docherty
Weitering
SPS
ACoS
Williamson
Rowe
Lang
O'Shea

All were not playing and I suspect they are all "currently in or around" the best 22 we can field when they are fit and ready.

Personally, I'm hope we take a horses for courses approach, and mix and match our selection heavily based on opponents. It's the one thing AFL teams should be capable of given their list size, and the one thing coaches and match committees do not do very well.

Kids like Dow and O'Brien might be specials, but they are going to fade through the season, even someone Cripps size and strength struggled/faded through his first real season. He was probably lucky he broke that leg, it seems to have changed his trajectory compared to the general playing population, and we think of his second season as his first. But in reality his first senior season came after two full pre-seasons.

The rigors of AFL will get them, they are just kids and the first game is always a high.

Agree....horses for courses is how it should be and no doubt Dow, OBrien etc will need to be managed at stages as the season gets longer and young bodies tire.

Reply #354

Yet statistically was one of our better performers, and our 7th highest posession getter on the ground.

I think he got busy right when the game was starting to get away from us too.

There are two types of underated player.  Those who swim against the Tide, and those who do the sort of work that doesnt get noticed by the average pundit.

The ones that swim against the Tide are the most valuable to have as they have the capability of putting momentum back on your side.

In any case, Daisy is only ever spoken about when he is absolutely dreadful.  The fact that no one else talked about him at all means he was actually pretty good for a bloke who is supposedly not best 22 material anymore.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #355
I too thought Daisy was very ordinary and looks like the game has moved past him.

But, too be fair, i'm 1/3 way through watching a replay so i'll  hold fire.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #356
Watched the replay last night and being a little more relaxed noticed a few more things... just humble observations.

Liked Meat's game. Got better as the game wore on.

Hasn't been mentioned much, but I thought Daisy was also good.

Cuningham was disappointing. Might yet be Lucas mark II (Boekhorst was Lucas mark I).

Mullet must work on being, seemingly, frightened! Did some good things though. I suspect he's better suited to the wings than down back.

ZF is great the way he gets from contest to contest. Really good defensively, just like to see him take more possession and hurt the opposition more with disposal. He's a bloody little ripper though.

Garlett is going to be a beaut, genuine X factor.

Like to see Pickett be a whisker more selfish if that's the right word. The run down the wing was blistering, just trying to pass to a bloke when so close to goal was not the best choice - should have just nailed it, or passed off sooner.

Gee Kennedy did some great, unnoticed, work.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #357
Like to see Pickett be a whisker more selfish if that's the right word. The run down the wing was blistering, just trying to pass to a bloke when so close to goal was not the best choice - should have just nailed it, or passed off sooner.

This bloke has no limits, in the right role he can be everything, in the wrong role he'll be nothing.

He needs to be off the accountability hook, like the way the Dawks play Rioli. Somebody else should be looking after or crippling Pickett's opponent, just like the Dawks do for Rioli. In the past we didn't have the bodies or attitudes, but we have them now, we have players who will push back! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #358
24 pages on a preseason game!!!   Good to see we're up and about folks!  Can't wait for 22 March!!

Reply #359
24 pages on a preseason game!!!   Good to see we're up and about folks!  Can't wait for 22 March!!

24 pages on a game we won. Winning is usually bad for business.