Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 16 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 4494 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 16 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #15
Can’t recall the talking head who said it on radio (though it was probably Nick Riewoldt), but the comment was made that King needs to add more to his game rather than just being a jump and mark exponent. The comparison was made that Josh Kennedy’s body really should see him in retirement but he is still kicking goals because he has great forward craft.
King is a very unreliable kick for goal as well, I see a few Saints games during the year as my daughters inlaws are mad keen fans and I would agree King doesnt do enough body wise to make his life easier and manufacture some marks or create opportunties for his smaller teammates. Stkilda also have another problem that Jack Higgins is used as their second marking target/leadup player so King gets double teamed. Membrey is used more as a roaming forward and trouble shooter down back so the Saints need another true KP Forward to see the best of King. ie Kennedy has Darling and good KP Forwards hunt in pairs...

Reply #16
If we play the way we did against Freo, we will smash St Kilda.
If we don't, will open the door for them to find form and will be all over us like a rash.
Based on what I have seen from us this year, I doubt very much Vossy and Crippa will permit the latter to happen.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
If we don't, will open the door for them to find form and will be all over us like a rash.
Based on what I have seen from us this year, I doubt very much Vossy and Crippa will permit the latter to happen.

Hopefully those days are well behind us.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18
Saints will bring back Ryder, Brad Hill and maybe Higgins.  I think there will also be some backlash from their insipid effort in Sydney.  I expect they will start with steam coming out of their ears. 

This game is far from a certainty, as indeed are most games.  This season, any side that takes their foot off the pedal can get rolled by anyone (except probably NM....). I hope the team prepare with this in mind. 

It's a bit hard to believe that at 10-4, we are still not locked in for a finals berth.  With the run home we have, we just have to win games like this one.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #19
Win this one and the games against WCE & the Crows and we’re finals bound. And it’s very unlikely that we won’t chalk up some wins in the remaining games.

Reply #20
Win this one and the games against WCE & the Crows and we’re finals bound. And it’s very unlikely that we won’t chalk up some wins in the remaining games.

If we don’t win most of the remaining games, there’s not much point to making finals.

It has taken a while, as was to be expected, but it seems that the coaching group now has the team playing our game style consistently.  If we can maintain that, we should be able to account for every team in the comp, even with our depleted line up.

With Cerra, Weitering and Pittonet back, anything is possible.

Ratts will be desperate for a win but I’m not sure that the Saints have the players to disrupt our winning formula.  Relying on King would be falling into the trap that snared Longmuir.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
With Cerra, Weitering and Pittonet back, anything is possible.
I understand the sentiment, but I am not sure fans should assume we will just go back to the default setups.

I get that Weiters, Cerra and Pitto returning give us something, but if Pitto comes in at the expense of say TDK or SoJ we lose something as well.

When Cerra returns, who goes out, probably someone like LoB or Cottrell, without doubt the equation favours Cerra but still it's not a free lunch.

They can't all play, and they won't all play!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Both sides coming off a 6 day break. At least that keeps things on par rest wise.

Chuffed as it should be on fta tv here in SA.

Reply #23
LP....I doubt Pittonet would come in at the expense of either TDK or Silvagni. Pittonet and TDK would both ruck and TDK would drift forward....and Silvagni plays as a roaming forward pushing up the ground. He'd probably take the place of Martin in that regard and I  know who I'd prefer in the 22. Earlier in the season it worked perfectly.....the first game without Pittonet was Gold Coast and we got our pants pulled down. He went down early against Freo and we lost again.

Reply #24
When Pittonet comes back TDK is going to dominate.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #25
When Pittonet comes back TDK is going to dominate.
In round one, Pitto was running a little low on juice having beaten Richmond's rucks. Tom de Koning moved into the centre square and jumped all over Nankervis, got a couple of clearances himself and allowed us to get the ball out of the middle. At that time, it was probably Tom's most effective period in the ruck. However, conditions were hard and he got good contact with the ground.
In our recent losses, that wasn't the case. Tom struggled for his footing and didn't get as high off the ground at any stage. I think his confidence was down a bit, too. He really appreciated the conditions at Marvel and lifted his game.

I'm not sure Pitto will come straight in after the period he had off, but he'll be back sooner rather than later. He offers us the strength that Tom doesn't have. He was the leading ruck in the competition until he got hurt. We dominated the centre square with him there. We've improved in that area of the game, because we haven't had to depend on him. But it meant we lost games, as TDK isn't yet the premier ruck in the comp.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #26
I understand the sentiment, but I am not sure fans should assume we will just go back to the default setups.

I get that Weiters, Cerra and Pitto returning give us something, but if Pitto comes in at the expense of say TDK or SoJ we lose something as well.

When Cerra returns, who goes out, probably someone like LoB or Cottrell, without doubt the equation favours Cerra but still it's not a free lunch.

They can't all play, and they won't all play!

Why would Pitto come back at the expense of Jack or Tom?  All three were playing when we were flying at the start of the season.

Same with Cerra; he doesn’t necessarily replace O’Brien or Cottrell.  It’s more likely that he would come in for Motlop and join Walsh and Fisher in the high half forward-midfield rotations.  We may lose some defensive pressure inside forward 50 but that would be more than compensated by more midfield possessions and good delivery inside 50.

It doesn’t really matter who goes out provided we select the 22 players best able to execute our game style.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27

The Saints will be desperate for a win considering they have lost the last 3 games. Out of the top 8 by percentage. Lots of pressure on Ratten to build this squad. Keeping his job as head coach. So much to gain with them winning this week and beating a side that will be a big scalp. We just need to be hungry enough and not underestimate our opponent. The Saints have more to gain and more to lose depending on the end result. A win for us helps with the next few games getting players back. The best test will be our mental focus. Sticking to the basics and the game plan. Controlling the tempo of the match and keeping the pressure on for 4 quarters. I hope there is enough time to recover before this match.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #28
Saints are getting slammed in the media this week - seems three of them got into a verbal altercation at a pub during their week off (and two of them subsequently missed the Sydney game).

King being called a sook.

Clarko being touted as a replacement for Ratten.

This week against us they will either be a disorganised rabble, or the 'backs-to-the-wall' factor will kick in and they will grow an extra leg.

Here's hoping it's the former.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #29
Saints are getting slammed in the media this week - seems three of them got into a verbal altercation at a pub during their week off (and two of them subsequently missed the Sydney game).

King being called a sook.

Clarko being touted as a replacement for Ratten.

This week against us they will either be a disorganised rabble, or the 'backs-to-the-wall' factor will kick in and they will grow an extra leg.

Here's hoping it's the former.....

Ive seen plenty of articles this week about us able to win the flag.  One of the authors being saint Nick himself.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson