Skip to main content
Topic: Influencers (Read 1665 times) previous topic - next topic

Influencers

Maybe its because I'm getting older and set in my ways but this term " influencer" and the social media scene is doing my head in especially with the amount of money they are making usually by the advertising that is pumped through their channels depending on how many subscribers or should I say dopes who follow their rubbish.
eg I was looking for some financial information on the share market and came across these kids who promote themselves as investing experts....100k subscribers and these kids are earning 36k a month for finance tips and education courses they have developed which you could get out of a Warren Buffet book from the library for free with minimal effort, one had zero qualifications in the field and the other 2 years of a degree that he quit.
I have seen all these other " influencers" promoting  weight loss methods, beauty tips, finance scams all the way through to following their daily life especially what they are having for dinner etc....
Does anyone want to work a proper job anymore or do they just want a buy a video camera, a mic, some editing software and produce copious amounts of trash to flood the internet with?
Then there is this Patreon service where your subscribers pay you money to essentially fund this rubbish they are producing separate to their social media advertising income.
There seems no laws governing the BS these influencers can put out, some of its just dangerous and could seriously injure people both physically, financially and personally...

Re: Influencers

Reply #1
Maybe its because I'm getting older and set in my ways but this term " influencer" and the social media scene is doing my head in especially with the amount of money they are making usually by the advertising that is pumped through their channels depending on how many subscribers or should I say dopes who follow their rubbish.
eg I was looking for some financial information on the share market and came across these kids who promote themselves as investing experts....100k subscribers and these kids are earning 36k a month for finance tips and education courses they have developed which you could get out of a Warren Buffet book from the library for free with minimal effort, one had zero qualifications in the field and the other 2 years of a degree that he quit.
I have seen all these other " influencers" promoting  weight loss methods, beauty tips, finance scams all the way through to following their daily life especially what they are having for dinner etc....
Does anyone want to work a proper job anymore or do they just want a buy a video camera, a mic, some editing software and produce copious amounts of trash to flood the internet with?
Then there is this Patreon service where your subscribers pay you money to essentially fund this rubbish they are producing separate to their social media advertising income.
There seems no laws governing the BS these influencers can put out, some of its just dangerous and could seriously injure people both physically, financially and personally...

Its simple EB, ignore. Teach your kids to ignore. These peanuts influence me to ignore them, that's all they achieve the oxygen thieving parasites.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
@EB1...
I'm not quite up to your age, but i feel the same way.

It $hits me to tears.

There is a chick dubbed 'supercar blondie' who has all the socials. Hot chick who reviews all the latest and greatest supercars.

Anyway, i don't follow her (or anyone of similar interests) but i did see a video which disturbed me no end.

It was done by her boyfriend/husband/camera guy.....whoever the hell he was. It was clips of him asking people he came across who were driving these supercars. (Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini etc etc).

He asked them all one simply question.

Out of say 20 responses, there was a few Doctors or Lawyers....there was even a famous singer.
You know most of the other people said......."Youtube"

There was as many people driving supercars who got famous from youtube as there was people who studied their butts off at uni.

20 years from now......there will be a shortage of doctors because everyone will have their own youtube channel.  ::)

Reply #3
My kids have too much screen time...Ryan of Ryan's toy reviews (kid about 13 now) apparently gets $14mil per year from reviewing toys on youtube.  Kids can't get enough.

My wife showed me a video on her phone the other day.  Our 5yo daughter videoed herself "Oh, Hi.  Thanks for watching.  Welcome to my channel" and on it goes for 15 seconds or so ending with 'Thanks for watching'.  She has done 10 or 15 of them.  It is hilarious to watch, but scary at the same time!  I was telling a friend and they said their daughter adds 'don't forget to subscribe'.

What worries me is adults who get caught up in all the crap.  Really, you get influenced by these people?  Amazing.  They seem to be everywhere.  I am glad I have no idea of who any of them are.

Reply #4
Influencers  ::)  

No wonder so many folk are sucked in by scammers  :o

I'm not sure whether folk today are more gullible but when you see those taken in by conspiracy theories, anti-vaxxers, fad diets, populist politicians, cults, extremism, etc, you have to wonder.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
Its interesting.  This topic probably says more about those writing in it, than those who are influenced.

We are all influenced by something generally.  Usually its external pressures.  In this format, the influencers are simply online, on a platform where they get paid handsome money to do so, and generate entertainment in the process.

Better these people than those who run tv channels with crap content like Married at first sight, the real housewives of blah blah blah.

That's probably how we got here in the first place actually.

The content on mainstream tv went belly up and now we have tik tok, and instagram.  Most of those people exhibit fake lives, and most people taken in by it, dont understand that we only see the public persona of what is shown, and not what happens from go to woah.

I dont mind it, I spend most of my time watching sport, and kudos to anyone that can earn a crust doing not much.  Those opportunities wont last long.

Personally, I ignore all of it, or will watch it and pick apart whats happening.  It doesnt stop my nieces and nephews from being mesmorised by it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
I'm not sure whether folk today are more gullible but when you see those taken in by conspiracy theories, anti-vaxxers, fad diets, populist politicians, cults, extremism, etc, you have to wonder.
As I understand it the vast bulk of people losing money or being duped on the internet are from more conventional scams, buying stuff that is either never delivered or not what they ordered, which can never be returned.

Those questionable 85%-Off everything Facebook ads that Facebook do nothing about! Facebook can swat them away at the click of a button, yet it doesn't, so who should I focus my rage on, the scammer or Facebook? Both I suppose.

I'm particularly cognisant of older people being scammed, I've heard it happening multiple times. For example, getting a call that if they don't pay the bill their internet will be cut off and the phones will stop working, when they do not even have the internet!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Better these people than those who run tv channels with crap content like Married at first sight, the real housewives of blah blah blah.

That's probably how we got here in the first place actually.
Yes exactly, it's the very same gig in another form, it's just the modern version makes it more personal by targeting the end consumer directly from the source.

TV and Radio use to be the man in the middle.

But I suppose there is a difference, TV and Radio employed people, many of the influencers often produce nothing of value and create zero jobs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Watch the doco "Fyre Fest" on Netflix.  Its about a couple of guys who set up a weekend party at a Caribbean Island and target "influencers" to attend.  It all goes t!ts-up, but the only ones who really lose out are the influencers, who are all falling over themselves to throw money at better invites to this party to ensure they get better status than their rival.  Its really funny.

Its not quite a victimless crime, but as the only ones who were victim to the crime were these influencers, you can enjoy laughing at them without feeling guilty!!!

Reply #9
Our 5yo daughter videoed herself "Oh, Hi.  Thanks for watching.  Welcome to my channel" and on it goes for 15 seconds or so ending with 'Thanks for watching'.  She has done 10 or 15 of them.  It is hilarious to watch, but scary at the same time!  I was telling a friend and they said their daughter adds 'don't forget to subscribe'.

Ditto!!  My phone is full of the EXACT same videos of my 5 year old!!

Reply #10
Its simple EB, ignore. Teach your kids to ignore. These peanuts influence me to ignore them, that's all they achieve the oxygen thieving parasites.
Hear! Hear!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11
Watch "Kitboga" on youtube for what he does to Indian scammers.

They are seriously seriously funny.