Skip to main content

Poll

Who will you be barracking for on Saturday?

Richmond
[ 2 ] (6.5%)
GWS
[ 21 ] (67.7%)
Don't Care......Carlton are not in it!
[ 7 ] (22.6%)
Paul Kelly
[ 0 ] (0%)
What game?
[ 1 ] (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: September 30, 2019, 02:41:01 pm

Topic: Who Will You Support? (Read 7629 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Who Will You Support?

Reply #15
I can’t bring myself to support an interstate team and particularly one that has profited at our expense  >:(

I still have flashbacks to the opening minutes of the 1973 Grand Final and the shocked hush among the crowd when Fowler poleaxed Big Nick, but I think I can tolerate a Tigers win ... at the expense of GWS and the AFL.

Lynch has been a massive addition to the Tigers’ list, and I think that he will be the difference.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
GWS for me, then a SOS can put a $800k 5 year deal on the table for one Lachie Whitfield, in return for P8 2nd round 2021.

The kid has a flag, GWS has the money to keep Jezza, and the low range picks for their accademy kids this year and next.

Win-win-win

Reply #17
Absolutely rooting for GWS,  great for the competition a fairytale come true a young team.
Great story for the AFL at long last. Although wining 3 games in a row and to win at G against the tigers, very difficult.
But my gut feel is an upset is brewing. Go Giants

Reply #18
You know what I will never get my head around?

How anyone states we should support the victorian side.

State politics is irrelevant in team sports.  Let GWS win now whilst we arent good enough to contend, and we can knock them off later.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19

State politics is irrelevant in team sports.  Let GWS win now whilst we arent good enough to contend, and we can knock them off later.

Its generally from the older people who grew up with State of Origin being huge.

"Kick a Vic" rings alarm bells.

However, state of origin is long gone and now its all about damage control for supporters who don't have a team in the GF. Better to go for someone which won't give you the $h!ts for the next 12 months, hence interstate sides with no fan base to annoy you.

Reply #20

It’s easy Thry ... unless the opposition is Essendon  ;)

One of the shocks I received when I did military service was the vitriol directed to Victorians from those from other states.  South Australians and Western Australians were the worst, but New South Welshmen (they were all male  :) ) and Queenslanders were involved too.  Since then, I have disliked sporting teams from WA, SA, NSW and QLD in that order and in any sport.  NSW jumps a few spots when it comes to cricket. 

A couple of good mates are Tigers supporters and I know that they won’t gloat for more than a week.  That to me is preferable to the gloating that we have to suffer from the Gloch and the pain of seeing Toby Greene with his mitts on the cup.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
It's very 'Statist' argument. ;D
I saw a statistic once... I think it was in one of the annual magazines, that suggested a huge number of Carlton supporters actually lived outside of Victoria

For a vast number of those, myself included, we don't really give much thought to the Victorian aspect of the club.
Sure that's where the foundations of the club are, and Melbourne is where they play their home games.
But to us it's not Carlton /Victoria...it's just Carlton.
Truth is if you ran a line down the great players of the club some of our very best are non-Victorians.
A Carlton/Victoria v a Carlton/Rest of Australia would probably be a fair contest although the Vics probably have an edge... SOS v Kernahan would be a good match up....not sure how he'd go on Jezza though.

So if we're not involved as a club in a Grand Final for a lot of us there's no strong bond to support the Victorian side.

Reply #22
It's very 'Statist' argument. ;D
I saw a statistic once... I think it was in one of the annual magazines, that suggested a huge number of Carlton supporters actually lived outside of Victoria

I believe as recently as two years ago we were still the most widely supported team in the country, Carlton's problem was that with so many supporters outside of Victoria we were not capable of converting high percentages to memberships. However, I think the most recent survey lists Sindney, Filth, Carlton in that order, but the Sindney figures are supported by rugby league fans who claim to support Sindney as their second side. The Filth have picked up a large growth in following in the Northern Territory, I suppose it's a popular destination for escapees!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
A couple of good mates are Tigers supporters and I know that they won’t gloat for more than a week.

Makes them better than Essenscum supports.  I had the inglorious pleasure of spending the entire day with a bomber mate for 93 GF.  He still bangs on about it.  Makes me want to vomit.

Tigers supporters are ok, they spent so long in the wilderness they developed some humility, and we developed some pity for them.  They might say the same thing about us when we finally snag another flag.

Reply #24
The only time I'd want Richmond to win a GF would be if they were playing either the Filth or the Drug Cheats. Since that's obviously not the case, hopefully GWS have another win left in them.

As for those of you who want Richmond to win, obviously you've forgotten how the feral scum stood and cheered when Kouta did his ACL against them in the 2001 semi - just an ar$e wipe of a club - I sincerely hope that Mumford collects a few scalps on Saturday.

Reply #25
The only time I'd want Richmond to win a GF would be if they were playing either the Filth or the Drug Cheats. Since that's obviously not the case, hopefully GWS have another win left in them.

As for those of you who want Richmond to win, obviously you've forgotten how the feral scum stood and cheered when Kouta did his ACL against them in the 2001 semi - just an ar$e wipe of a club - I sincerely hope that Mumford collects a few scalps on Saturday.

You can add what Neil Balme did to Geoff Southby and what that did to Southby as a player still riles me, could never support a Richmond team in any game.

Reply #26
You can add what Neil Balme did to Geoff Southby and what that did to Southby as a player still riles me, could never support a Richmond team in any game.

Knights got Kouta that game?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #27

Yep, anyone who saw that can't feel anything but the same, it's like those suggestions we bring Balme to Carlton!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Yep, anyone who saw that can't feel anything but the same, it's like those suggestions we bring Balme to Carlton!

re: Balme:...the old saying goes  "A drowning man will cling onto a Serpent"....lets hope we never get that desperate. >:(

Reply #29
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-great-robert-walls-accuses-collingwood-football-club-of-dishonesty-backs-neil-balme/news-story/44eb5f7692d1228abf37168f43544987

“I’m really disappointed because Neil Balme is one of the best football people you’ll ever come across,” Walls said.

“He did a sterling job at Collingwood years ago, went down to Geelong, and now they do this.

“I am going to throw a couple of bricks at Collingwood. One, for telling us blow flies (lies), and two, for making life hard for Neil Balme.”

Walls also said he expects Balme to be highly sought after if he rejects Collingwood’s offer.

“Where one door closes, another opens,” he said.

“Wherever Balmey ends up, it will be very much to that club’s good fortune.”

Early onset dementia ?