Skip to main content
Topic: R6 - Blues vs Eagles (post match party) (Read 61829 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R6 - Blues vs Eagles (post match party)

Reply #105
Great summary Ray but as others have mentioned, we should be 4-2. That would put us right up there for finals football.

...and the use of the word should is the difference between us being a finals side and where we actually are.

We should have kicked for goal better against Richmond and Melbourne
We should of played better in the last quarter against Port
Robbo and Bell should hit targets all the time
Warnock should be a dominant ruckman
Murphy should break tags..... and so on.

Sorry Carrots but we are 6th at best, 14th at worst and will probably end up around 10th, we still are too small at the contest and have too many that fade out of games. We still don't block well for Murphy and Gibbs, our defenders play as individuals not as a team and our mids miss too many targets by foot.

Given the experience of the team and drafts positions that players were taken we should be better.

Reply #106
Lucas just doesnt do it for me.........
I was willing to give him time but ....how much time do you give a skinny lightweight? He's no KPD or Fwd and he's been around long enough to show something??????  
For mine, he's not imposed himself on a game like say a Buck's or Menzel have. I'm not saying that these 2 have made it but they show bits and pieces of what they "could" be. Lucas has shown me nothing to get  excited about. :-\ :-\  I cant see what he offers???

Well pointed out, Buckley & Menzel have gone past him in leaps & bounds yet they have been at the club for less than half of the time.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #107
The Eagles are only just going and let's be honest, they outplayed us for most of the game.
As others have said the best thing about the win was the belief that they could, and if Malthouse achieves nothing else then that belief is a big step forward.
If Yarran misses next week I think we'll be too undermanned to give Collingwood a close contest, if Carrazzo comes up it might even the ledger a little bit but we've somehow got to cover Swan and Pendlebury, although Warnock will have it easier next week so they'll have to worry about Murphy as well.
Great to see a couple of youngsters have a big hand in a win, it's been quite a while.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #108
I too have given Lucas plenty of time and fought the battle for him on here but I thought his display against Footscray last week was abysmal. He has taken a step back from last year when in reality, he needed to take a big step forward.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #109
I was willing to give him time but ....how much time do you give a skinny lightweight? He's no KPD or Fwd and he's been around long enough to show something??????  
For mine, he's not imposed himself on a game like say a Buck's or Menzel have. I'm not saying that these 2 have made it but they show bits and pieces of what they "could" be. Lucas has shown me nothing to get  excited about. :-\ :-\  I cant see what he offers???

Well pointed out, Buckley & Menzel have gone past him in leaps & bounds yet they have been at the club for less than half of the time.

Lucas is going fine IMO, he'll never be a world beater but no one has a team of A graders.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #110
Sorry Carrots but we are 6th at best, 14th at worst and will probably end up around 10th, we still are too small at the contest and have too many that fade out of games. We still don't block well for Murphy and Gibbs, our defenders play as individuals not as a team and our mids miss too many targets by foot.

Added to that, we still don't have a full compliment of genuine key position players who can play both ends of the ground. All of the players who are remotely within the minimum size specs have key deficiencies in their game which will get badly exposed under the pressure of a final.

Also, we still have too many players with questionable disposal coupled with an inability to take the right option. When you have players who execute (option & disposal) wrongly under pressure, you are never going to be better than mid-table.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #111

Lucas is going fine IMO, he'll never be a world beater but no one has a team of A graders.

So he was a first round pick in 2009, this is his 5th year and he's far from a walk up start. If he was a 3rd round pick he'd be delisted by now. The kid can play as he showed in 2010 but he's not mentally there.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #112
The Eagles are only just going and let's be honest, they outplayed us for most of the game.
As others have said the best thing about the win was the belief that they could, and if Malthouse achieves nothing else then that belief is a big step forward.
If Yarran misses next week I think we'll be too undermanned to give Collingwood a close contest, if Carrazzo comes up it might even the ledger a little bit but we've somehow got to cover Swan and Pendlebury, although Warnock will have it easier next week so they'll have to worry about Murphy as well.
Great to see a couple of youngsters have a big hand in a win, it's been quite a while.

Disagree with this.

I've only watched the first half and we should have been 5 goals up at half time easily.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #113

Added to that, we still don't have a full compliment of genuine key position players who can play both ends of the ground. All of the players who are remotely within the minimum size specs have key deficiencies in their game which will get badly exposed under the pressure of a final.

Also, we still have too many players with questionable disposal coupled with an inability to take the right option. When you have players who execute (option & disposal) wrongly under pressure, you are never going to be better than mid-table.

What has changed though? This was not us a few years back, the list really hasn't changed that much.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #114

So he was a first round pick in 2009, this is his 5th year and he's far from a walk up start. If he was a 3rd round pick he'd be delisted by now. The kid can play as he showed in 2010 but he's not mentally there.

I don't care where players get picked in the draft, he's getting a game and I've got confidence that under Malthouse senior games are earned.
His last quarter against Footscray was fantastic, no huge stats but he put his body in, really stood up when the team could have folded with two men down.
Maybe he'll fall off the pace and be a 50 or 60 game player but maybe he'll grab it and play for 10 years, time will tell.

Reply #115
His last quarter against Footscray was fantastic, no huge stats but he put his body in, really stood up when the team could have folded with two men down.

So we're praising him for doing what most players do naturally? For a quarter of football? After 5 years in the game? Says it all really.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #116

So we're praising him for doing what most players do naturally? For a quarter of football? After 5 years in the game? Says it all really.

I'm praising him for doing what he did, no more or less.
I could be wrong but I think it was Lucas who won the ball from a stoppage and dished off to Buckley for his famous goal late in last night's game as well.
I'm under no illusions about him, but every successful team needs a pool of 28 or 30 players who are capable at senior level, Lucas might be one of the players in the 22 - 30 group but those players are critical for success.

Reply #117
Great summary Ray but as others have mentioned, we should be 4-2. That would put us right up there for finals football.

...and the use of the word should is the difference between us being a finals side and where we actually are.

Given the experience of the team and drafts positions that players were taken we should be better.

Sorry, but attempting to argue that we could/should be 4-2 is erroneous. If you argue that, you could equally argue that the Dishlickers were down 2 key defenders which could have made the difference. You could also argue that the Weagles should have won due to this that and the other. In summary, you could equally argue 2 unlucky losses offset by 2 lucky wins.

2-4 is about right for us at this time.

We'll know our midfield is about right when blokes like Ellard, Lucas and Robinson are in the 25th to 31st bracket. Ditto Rowe, Casboult and White. Not in the 16-22 bracket as they are now.

I'm with the Tassie Devil on this one. An outstanding result for 2014 would be for us to sneak into the bottom of the 8. At this stage I think 9-12 is about right.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #118
@B4L

Fair enough.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #119

Sorry, but attempting to argue that we could/should be 4-2 is erroneous. If you argue that, you could equally argue that the Dishlickers were down 2 key defenders which could have made the difference. You could also argue that the Weagles should have won due to this that and the other. In summary, you could equally argue 2 unlucky losses offset by 2 lucky wins.

2-4 is about right for us at this time.

We'll know our midfield is about right when blokes like Ellard, Lucas and Robinson are in the 25th to 31st bracket. Ditto Rowe, Casboult and White. Not in the 16-22 bracket as they are now.

I'm with the Tassie Devil on this one. An outstanding result for 2014 would be for us to sneak into the bottom of the 8. At this stage I think 9-12 is about right.

BULLcrap.

It was Melbourne FFS. MELBOURNE!!!!!!!!!!!!

and they (Melb) played like crap as well.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................