Skip to main content
Topic: R6 - Blues vs Eagles (post match party) (Read 61820 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R6 - Blues vs Eagles (post match party)

Reply #90
Levi's beard it must be said has progressed beyond fashion statement and into wild man length. It does concern me because a determined beard such as his and Josh Kennedy's will draw scrutiny if the performance underwhelms. Who at the club is monitoring this situation?

Beards are not just a footy problem, they are a problem that the wider society has to deal with.

Reply #91
Nice to win some games at etihad....just in time for the move to the MCG :P

Our two worst performances this year have been on the MCG.

Has the ground been a factor?

Very good point Lods.....we were discussing that very point on the drive home, that our Etihad form this year has been fairly sound, whilst we've generally been stinking it up at the MCG. NEVER thought I'd ever be saying that. Not sure how I feel about that fact.....

Good teams perform well at any ground. End of story.

Are we a good team then?
Perhaps next week will tell that story.

Reply #92
Watched the game on Fox last night and as much as I hate the commentary and commentators I do love it when Eddie says Carlton has won.
Eddie got pretty excited in patches, Dermie added a realistic perspective some times and Roo is just a complete tosser.
He chubbed up when Menz kicked the icer. Listen to his commentary.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #93
Been a big critic but very very proud of the Skipper and Robbo. As for Jeffy and SOJ, I got a stiffy,
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Seriously the appetite for the footy those two showed last night was incredible. Ferocious and dare I say it, a little bit of Ruthlessness.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #94
Nice to win some games at etihad....just in time for the move to the MCG :P

Our two worst performances this year have been on the MCG.

Has the ground been a factor?

Very good point Lods.....we were discussing that very point on the drive home, that our Etihad form this year has been fairly sound, whilst we've generally been stinking it up at the MCG. NEVER thought I'd ever be saying that. Not sure how I feel about that fact.....

Good teams perform well at any ground. End of story.

Are we a good team then?
Beat the Filth next week and it will be one hell of a story.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #95
The club site has Daisy as first mentioned in our best players, I was there and didn't see it that way....but then again, am wearing glasses these days...don't think we are any better than a 10 - 14 side....but really enjoyed the atmosphere at the ground as they kicked those last 5 goals....and the euphoria from everyone around as the siren sounded...great stuff ;D

Reply #96
The club site has Daisy as first mentioned in our best players, I was there and didn't see it that way....but then again, am wearing glasses these days...don't think we are any better than a 10 - 14 side....but really enjoyed the atmosphere at the ground as they kicked those last 5 goals....and the euphoria from everyone around as the siren sounded...great stuff ;D
From my point of view, he was pretty damn good all night. Lots of up and down running, constantly geeing the boys up. Setting his sites on next week I reckon. I feel win, lose or draw, we will see what he is made of.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #97
From my point of view, he was pretty damn good all night. Lots of up and down running, constantly geeing the boys up. Setting his sites on next week I reckon. I feel win, lose or draw, we will see what he is made of.
Cool 8)

Reply #98
Lucas just doesnt do it for me.........
I was willing to give him time but ....how much time do you give a skinny lightweight? He's no KPD or Fwd and he's been around long enough to show something??????  
For mine, he's not imposed himself on a game like say a Buck's or Menzel have. I'm not saying that these 2 have made it but they show bits and pieces of what they "could" be. Lucas has shown me nothing to get  excited about. :-\ :-\  I cant see what he offers???

Have been critical of Touhy this year. Deserved a spray yesterday but you could see he was trying to run the ball rather than kick long. as per coaches instruction you'd think. We all know he can kick like a mule but it seems the instruction is now to short kick and run/handball instead.
Touhy's still an asset and his game was better yesterday than in previous weeks.

Agree with all RE Rowe and White. Thought there games were very good yesterday.

I'm just happy we never gave up. That's all I want at this stage. We aint a top 6 side ( not yet anyway ) but so long as we keep up the fight, and never say die.....I'll be happy with that.

Ps.... Kudos to Daisy. Ive really struggled to embrace him. He is obviously not as fit as he would like but he pushes himself to every contest. That smother in the last at full stretch ..........I give in. Welcome to Carlton Daisy. ;)

Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #99
Are we a good team then?

There will be more discussion about this over the coming weeks, but i'll get in first.

We are playing like a good team right now, yes.

But how is that so because of our dud list? I hear you ask.  ;)

Mick had a dud list with the pies in 2002-03, but he had them playing well as a TEAM and got them into 2 Grand Finals.
The players are starting to embrace the gameplan and know what to expect out of eachother now. They have lifted their intensity and are doing the team things that are required.

Hopefully they continue to do so.

Where does our list stand in all of this?
Nothing has changed IMO. We still need to make some big changes and trade/draft well to improve our list. Still not opposed to Gibbs going. Still reckon we should look into trading away Kreuzer. Still need to find a geniune key forward and preferably a key back as well.

Reply #100
The players are starting to embrace the gameplan and know what to expect out of eachother now. They have lifted their intensity and are doing the team things that are required.

Hopefully they continue to do so.

But I thought we'd already embraced the gameplan last year?

Just watching Brendan Mccartney's interview from last week, he clearly thought we opened the game right up and caught his team off guard. The gameplan may be similar but it's definitely been tweaked. Mick has given some leeway to the players and they have responded. Well done.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #101
Impressive win, not a great one but impressive. I was like most when we got 4 goals down. I thought it was over, the boys looked done and Eagles were everywhere. Amazing what the 2 goals to Garlett and the 50m penalty to Touhy did for the team belief, all of a sudden we were up and going, players ran like it was the first quarter and lead by Murphy, generally over the last couple of years when hard running was needed it came from Simpson and/or Judd, Murphy must have finally had his switch flipped because his gut run and hard tackling were outstanding.

Waite should never be left down forward, you know when he gets up to the wings and gives that option off half back that he's on his game, Henderson however is still a hit and miss prospect up forward, I'm still of the thinking that he's a better CHB than forward. Casboult needs to be played as a high half forward, very high, in other words don't let him kick for goal. When Levi crashes packs and takes the clunking grabs he gains in confidence, when he lines up for goal he is like a shrinking violet.

Rowe played his best game for the club, which is not saying much, he was average at best. I think Brettie said he should only be allowed to spoil but some of the spoils were poor too. Not a bad match up for Jesse White next week though. Jammo was decent and stayed on Kennedy which kept him out of the game and White did a number on Darling, who would have to rivals Lindsay Thomas for the biggest stager for frees in the AFL.

Gibbs tackled well but played a selfish game, his snaps on goals should have been given to players in better positions especially the second one. When I see Bryce run around I think of a top 10 draft pick in waiting not a player who's going to lead the club up the ladder.

Kane Lucas is slowly getting better and attacking the ball, but stop looking behind yourself when you're running and if you can see that you'll be caught get rid of it, you are not strong or fast enough to break the tackle.

Dylan Buckley should always be left out of the team only to be included at the last minute, both his good games came as a late replacement.

Warnock battle beautifully and earned some respect for taking on and beating a lot of the time three rucks with two AA standard.

Got lucky in the end with two post hits in the dying minutes to West Coast and cannot seriously consider us a finals chance but like what Malthouse has the team doing, just want to see a couple more kids in soon.

Reply #102
Great summary Ray but as others have mentioned, we should be 4-2. That would put us right up there for finals football.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #103
Not many teams win after making 6 (5?) forced changes in 1 week. Great effort by the boys.

Reply #104
Levi's beard it must be said has progressed beyond fashion statement and into wild man length. It does concern me because a determined beard such as his and Josh Kennedy's will draw scrutiny if the performance underwhelms. Who at the club is monitoring this situation?

Beards are not just a footy problem, they are a problem that the wider society has to deal with.

The anomaly is that they call these guys 'hipsters'. Go figure.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!