Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 12: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs GWS (Read 33837 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 12: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #150
Call me old fashioned but 12 disposals, 1 tackle and 1 point in the game oh no, there's more too - 22 pressure acts....

Someone is smoking something. Does this stat include chasing a player but not laying a hand on them?!  ::) ::)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #151
Is there a stat for "Acts that turn and win a game"? That would be quite a useful measure.  8)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #152
Is there a stat for "Acts that turn and win a game"? That would be quite a useful measure.  8)

Probably, Daisy gets it for his last 30s.

Call me old fashioned but 12 disposals, 1 tackle and 1 point in the game oh no, there's more too - 22 pressure acts....

Someone is smoking something. Does this stat include chasing a player but not laying a hand on them?!  ::) ::)

Hi Old-Fashioned,

Daisy won us the game with three pressure acts and one disposal, all in the last 30s! ;D

Regards,
Progressive
The Force Awakens!

Reply #153
Pressure act mean "involved in the game but didn't get a stat"... kind of like what Cyril Rioli does.  Impact without getting kicks if you know what I mean.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #154
To measure a stat, there would be some criteria surrounding what it constitutes.

My guess at what it means is an act where a player is involved in a play without necessarily getting a stat (tackle, disposal, 1%) which results in a turnover.

That becomes tangible.

I reckon its probably a bit like the tennis statistic of the "forced error".

Besides that who knows, but the fact that he scored highly is irrelevant of its own.  Its just a number.  What becomes important is how the rest of his teamates went, and what the average is.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #155
Pressure act mean "involved in the game but didn't get a stat"... kind of like what Cyril Rioli does.  Impact without getting kicks if you know what I mean.

So similar to the 1%ers.

Forcing opponents into error, choose the wrong option.
Forcing a stutter, delaying an opponent.
Smoothers, interfering with an opponents handball.
Bumps and shepherds.

Basically things that contribute to opposition clangers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #156
Besides that who knows, but the fact that he scored highly is irrelevant of its own.  Its just a number.  What becomes important is how the rest of his teamates went, and what the average is.

I suppose it signals effort and influence, a bit like the reasons for Daisy being selected. ;)

Maybe a more important measure is the effect it has on team-mates! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #157
I suppose it signals effort and influence, a bit like the reasons for Daisy being selected. ;)

Maybe a more important measure is the effect it has on team-mates! :o

Both true enough statements.

Statistically speaking, this stat might be game high for our team, but like all stats, if high for the competition is 30, then 22 is reasonable for a young player.  If 15 is high for the competition, then 22 becomes impressive.

The effect it has on team mates, is difficult to measure, but it would be appreciated and that's all that matters there.

The pessimist in me reminds me that our club is looking for as many small wins as it can get, so highlighting stuff like this for a youngster is important as a small win in case we dont get the big win, so the fact we won by a point is important to note in this regard.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #158
The pessimist in me reminds me that our club is looking for as many small wins as it can get, so highlighting stuff like this for a youngster is important as a small win in case we dont get the big win, so the fact we won by a point is important to note in this regard.

I don't think BB is like that, I am sure he wouldn't allow a player to have their tyres pumped up if it wasn't deserved.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #159

Someone is smoking something. Does this stat include chasing a player but not laying a hand on them?::) ::)

I believe it does, as well as corralling, closing and physical pressure.  I guess it is meaningful when the pressure act leads to a turnover or stoppage.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #160
The pessimist in me reminds me that our club is looking for as many small wins as it can get, so highlighting stuff like this for a youngster is important as a small win.

Or as BB would describe it "Another Green Shoot".  The Club has been pretty clear that we should celebrate the small steps and that the big ticket items will follow.  Fisher's exposure so far has been invaluable.  I have faith in the match committee to make the right moves at the right time.  They haven't let me down too often recently.

Reply #161
What's important is how the coach see's it then to a lesser extent the match committee and captain.

Headless chooks can have an impact but don't tend to last the distance and get plucked and cooked.

Reply #162
I believe it does, as well as corralling, closing and physical pressure.  I guess it is meaningful when the pressure act leads to a turnover or stoppage.

Agree. The very best stats are the ones that lead to good outcomes like gaining possession of the ball or significant territory gained IMO, and especially those leading to shots on goal. Those achieved at critical times in a game are especially valuable.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #163
Both true enough statements.

Statistically speaking, this stat might be game high for our team, but like all stats, if high for the competition is 30, then 22 is reasonable for a young player.  If 15 is high for the competition, then 22 becomes impressive.

The effect it has on team mates, is difficult to measure, but it would be appreciated and that's all that matters there.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/pressure-the-coaches-buzzword/news-story/22407cd08343d8f43efb104d95499148

Record high is 49 in a game. 

Reply #164
Didn't someone earlier in this thread question Zac Fishera contribution? 22 pressure acts in the game  ;D

Where was the stat from?

I only ask, because champion data pressure acts is different to AFL pressure points, so just keen  to know where the actual stat is from
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL