Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Fixture (Read 19068 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Fixture

Reply #90
We were competitive in almost every match.  Only port was one way traffic.   The Swans didn't run us over until the second half, and even just after half time it was still tight.

I know all that.

Reply #92
We were competitive in almost every match.  Only port was one way traffic.   The Swans didn't run us over until the second half, and even just after half time it was still tight.
You can dress a piece of s h i t real nice, at the end of the day it's still just a piece of s h i t. We finished 16th, we earned squat.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #93
So what's the criteria then?

Wins?

I thought being competitive was enough?

The AFL states that those Friday night slots need to be "earned", which could mean many things. My guess is that it helps to play attractive, high scoring footy, it helps if you're a popular, powerhouse club, it helps if you have marquee players, it helps if you have a recent feel good story, and it helps if you win regularly.

The AFL has already admitted we've been given too many Friday night games, only because of numerous scheduling clashes and complications. I don't really see what the fuss is all about. 

Reply #94
The AFL states that those Friday night slots need to be "earned", which could mean many things. My guess is that it helps to play attractive, high scoring footy, it helps if you're a popular, powerhouse club, it helps if you have marquee players, it helps if you have a recent feel good story, and it helps if you win regularly.

The AFL has already admitted we've been given too many Friday night games, only because of numerous scheduling clashes and complications. I don't really see what the fuss is all about.
Just on this "earned" criteria that Lyon reckons The Glock has stated ad nauseam in the past, is it fact? Has The Glock (or anyone else at the AFL) actually stated this or is it made up?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #95
Just on this "earned" criteria that Lyon reckons The Glock has stated ad nauseam in the past, is it fact? Has The Glock (or anyone else at the AFL) actually stated this or is it made up?

I don't know. I find it hard to believe he would stitch up the boss of the AFL, by putting words in his mouth. I guess there's some truth to it.

Reply #96
I still see 4 friday nights as a non genuine argument considering one of them is in round 23

Just to make sure ppl don’t go off and lose any bets, we do have 4 Friday’s before Round 23:

Carlton Friday night games:

Round 3 - Carl vs filth
Round 6 - dogs vs Carl
Round 11 - swans vs Carl
Round 17 - saints vs Carl

Round 23 still TBA.

Reply #97
Surely it's also about putting on the best TV show - some well-performed teams may have earned Friday night games, but the reality is they end up with two-and-a-dog in the crowd which doesn't look great on TV......it's not a good look when the ball goes over the fence and they have to wait for a security guard to return it.....

I seem to remember that Channel 7 were considering inserting a 'virtual' crowd at the Ponsford end for some Melbourne night games because it looked like no-one was there (I'm sure Garry Lyon was in the ground somewhere.....)

Then there's the old Gabba trick of making the seats multi-coloured so you don't realise there's actually no-one there.

AFL is not about performance - it is about show.  When you look at the Friday games we have, there will be a decent turn out regardless of how we are travelling.  Hopefully this year they will put a decent performance on the park.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #98
Why is the media so hung-up about "earning" a Friday night game. In 3 of the 4 games, we are the away team plus the Thursday night against the Tigers. If we play well and win, they will be good contests. If we get thrashed, the Pies, Bombers, Tigers supporters will happily watch too. It's a win-win.

Reply #99
Just to make sure ppl don’t go off and lose any bets, we do have 4 Friday’s before Round 23:

Round 3 - Carl vs filth
Round 6 - dogs vs Carl
Round 11 - swans vs Carl

Round 23 still TBA.

If the AFL have a sense of humour they'll put of round 23 clash on Friday as well...lol.

Reply #100

Round 3 - Carl vs filth
Round 6 - dogs vs Carl
Round 11 - swans vs Carl

Round 23 still TBA.

Egg on my face, I missed round 17.

I couldnt see it anywhere.

Still, we have been nominated as these clubs opponent for a prime time slot, its not our fault we are one of the AFL's biggest supported clubs, and a traditional powerhouse.

I imagine these clubs nominated us thinking they would get an easy win on prime time, in front of a big club.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #101
Egg on my face, I missed round 17.

I couldnt see it anywhere.

Still, we have been nominated as these clubs opponent for a prime time slot, its not our fault we are one of the AFL's biggest supported clubs, and a traditional powerhouse.

I imagine these clubs nominated us thinking they would get an easy win on prime time, in front of a big club.

Some media outlets printed a Round 17 with Richmond playing the Saints on the Friday night, then playing GWS the following day.  Mind you, I would have like to have seen that.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #102
With the saturation of footy (and footy shows) on TV, is Friday as special as it used to be? Personally I think not. Footy on Thur, Frid, Sat, Sun, Mon and they are talking about Wed as well. Friday footy as has lost its gloss for me. On top of that, I hate when my side loses as its on tv for all to see and it farks the whole weekend.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th