Skip to main content
Topic: The Ashes - First Test @ Trent Bridge  (Read 47415 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Ashes - First Test @ Trent Bridge

Reply #15
Possible line up;

Shane Watson
Chris Rogers
Phil Hughes
Michael Clarke
David Warner
Steve Smith
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Starc
Peter Siddle
James Pattinson
Nathan Lyon

12th Man: Jackson Bird

Siddle under pressure to perform or else Harris or Bird will take his place.

Bird has done well there thus far but I think Siddle will keep his spot. Runs are gold at this venue so playing the extra bat makes sense. They may be tempted to go with Faulkner as who gives them another left armer who's been accurate but can also bat. Warner hasn't played any lead up games and wasn't in good form to begin with.
It certainly not easy to select this team. Warner doesn't really deserve selection, but IMO, he's a better option than Cowan. Khawaja just misses out. Again.

I really like James Faulkner. But for the 1st Test, I reckon they'll be inclined to pick Starc because he has a few tests under his belt. His batting has improved dramatically and hopefully he can bowl a few ripping spells. His only drawback is that he is prone to Mitchell Johnson type eraticism  >:(

Reply #16
It certainly not easy to select this team. Warner doesn't really deserve selection, but IMO, he's a better option than Cowan. Khawaja just misses out. Again.

I really like James Faulkner. But for the 1st Test, I reckon they'll be inclined to pick Starc because he has a few tests under his belt. His batting has improved dramatically and hopefully he can bowl a few ripping spells. His only drawback is that he is prone to Mitchell Johnson type eraticism  >:(

Considering runs are gold here at this venue (low scores particularly in the 1st Innings) we cannot afford Starc to spray them - let's hope  :-\

Reply #17
Watson
Rogers
Hughes
Clarke
Smith
Warner
Haddin
Pattinson
Starc
Harris/Lyon/Siddle (dunno)
Bird

Bird is made for English conditions, Be a waste not playing him

Reply #18
Possible line up;

Shane Watson
Chris Rogers
Phil Hughes
Michael Clarke
David Warner
Steve Smith
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Starc
Peter Siddle
James Pattinson
Nathan Lyon

Bird has done well there thus far but I think Siddle will keep his spot. Runs are gold at this venue so playing the extra bat makes sense. They may be tempted to go with Faulkner as who gives them another left armer who's been accurate but can also bat. Warner hasn't played any lead up games and wasn't in good form to begin with.

Just too many Lefties to pay Khawaja as well, can't afford to play into Swanns hands too much.  One of either Warner or Cowen will have to miss as well......when can we get some right handers back in the frame for Test selection ? It's not like this current crop of cack handers are Langer, Hayden or Hussey either.

Smith showed enough in India to warrant selection & much as I am fearful about picking Hughes.....if you pick blokes on scoring runs in the lead up games, then he has to be selected.  Maybe suit him more batting at 5.

We will see very soon.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #19
As outlined in the paper today; if Warner plays he needs to make runs to justify a second chance he does not deserve.

Heat is on everybody though - Hughes gets yet another chance (about his 10th), Siddle needs to bowl well as Bird is a logical replacement, likewise Starc has to do more than throw a heap of pies with the odd Jaffa.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #20
Possible line up;

Shane Watson
Chris Rogers
Phil Hughes
Michael Clarke
David Warner
Steve Smith
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Starc
Peter Siddle
James Pattinson
Nathan Lyon

Just too many Lefties to pay Khawaja as well, can't afford to play into Swanns hands too much.  One of either Warner or Cowen will have to miss as well......when can we get some right handers back in the frame for Test selection ? It's not like this current crop of cack handers are Langer, Hayden or Hussey either.

Smith showed enough in India to warrant selection & much as I am fearful about picking Hughes.....if you pick blokes on scoring runs in the lead up games, then he has to be selected.  Maybe suit him more batting at 5.

We will see very soon.

There is simply no other right hand batsman in the squad. They're all lefties - Cowan, Khawaja, Wade

Reply #21
As outlined in the paper today; if Warner plays he needs to make runs to justify a second chance he does not deserve.

Heat is on everybody though - Hughes gets yet another chance (about his 10th), Siddle needs to bowl well as Bird is a logical replacement, likewise Starc has to do more than throw a heap of pies with the odd Jaffa.

If Starc starts bowling rubbish he'll go the journey. The last thing we need is for England to bat first and rattle up 350-400. If they do we're gone.

This venue is notorious for low scores particularly in the 1st Innings. We need to take wickets but also NOT bleed runs. Dot balls are as good as wickets often as they build pressure - who are our Dot ball bowlers still capable of taking wickets? Bird would potentially be one.

Reply #22
News coming out of England right now is that Ashton Agar has been handed his first test cap.

Not sure if he's in the starting eleven but will find out at the toss.

Reply #23
Just heard the Ashton will play. Interesting selection.

Reply #24
England has won the toss and will bat.

Australian Team:

SR Watson
CJL Rogers
EJM Cowan
MJ Clarke*
PJ Hughes
SPD Smith
BJ Haddin†
PM Siddle
JL Pattinson
MA Starc
AC Agar

We need to bowl well and the heat will be on Agar. I guess we'll find out. Wondering what happened with Lyon.

Reply #25
No changes for England:

AN Cook*
JE Root
IJL Trott
KP Pietersen
IR Bell
JM Bairstow
MJ Prior†
SCJ Broad
GP Swann
ST Finn
JM Anderson

Trott and Pietersen are the key and we have to ensure they have bad games.

Reply #26
Nice to see them bowling to some sensible plans.

Reply #27
Is the big bloke standing at slip going to have a trundle?

Based on lead-in form Siddle was lucky to get a run, and at this stage it looks a mistake to have gone with him instead of Bird.  Looked like a man who hadn't been doing enough bowling.

We still have no idea about how to bowl to Trott.  Has all gone to )&^_t in the last 30 minutes.

Reply #28
Great bowling by Patterson after he hit I'd f his nerves, but same old thing,
Haddin letting byes through already and Siddle bowling one ball an over down leg side. Bird should be in.

Any chance of stopping boundaries?

Reply #29
Is the big bloke standing at slip going to have a trundle?

Based on lead-in form Siddle was lucky to get a run, and at this stage it looks a mistake to have gone with him instead of Bird.  Looked like a man who hadn't been doing enough bowling.

We still have no idea about how to bowl to Trott.  Has all gone to )&^_t in the last 30 minutes.

Agree...Siddle does nothing with the ball and goes for just under 30 runs every wicket which means he lets the pressure of too often.....been impressed with Root(Shadesy said he could play).
Pattinson been impressive.....lets hope he holds up for the series...reckon Cook wills struggle this series, Trott looks like he has morphed into Jaques Kallis the way he plays.