Skip to main content
Topic: CV and mad panic behaviour (Read 436407 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: CV and mad panic behaviour

Reply #3195
Its really hard to quantify.  We've had the majority of our cases and death in an aged care setting.

Its like conducting an opinion poll and extrapolating results against a population with a sample size that doesn't represent the majority.

When you factor in massaging of statistics (comorbidities ignored) it has hairs on it.

Did you go make salami?  Where can I pick one up??
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3196
On a side note just got my first Pfizer dose.

Paul Hewson

Reply #3197
Its really hard to quantify.  We've had the majority of our cases and death in an aged care setting.

Its like conducting an opinion poll and extrapolating results against a population with a sample size that doesn't represent the majority.

When you factor in massaging of statistics (comorbidities ignored) it has hairs on it.

Did you go make salami?  Where can I pick one up??
Not yet mate, maybe this weekend if we get out of jail and I can get the meat from my supplier. I'll let you know in 10 weeks ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3198
Was looking forwatd to watching our young Ocean Grove Seniors take on Flag favourites Torquay this weekend. 
But wait -

No Spectators allowed, No Bar, No Canteen.

FFS enough is enough........ >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Reply #3199
Long COVID-19 is real, it isn't just about deaths.

Currently the global average for long COVID-19 is that 15% of people infected survivors still have significant symptoms beyond 3 months. The spectrum ranges from headaches and twitches to serious heart and lung or neuromuscular conditions, it even looks like some who were classified as asymptomatic in the initial diagnosis will also be affected in someway long term.

In the USA the researchers fear is that many more cases go undiagnosed than they realise, some are now being picked up as high viral load but asymptomatic using flow cytometry and lateral flow tests, which are very sensitive compared to PCR but for medium and high level infections will give very reliable viral load counts. Initially they thought only about 5% of cases might be asymptomatic and infectious, but the early figures are showing up to 35% of cases are asymptomatic with medium to high viral load and infectious. If 15% of those have long term health effects the impact of Sars-CoV-2 is going to be significant and very expensive. In the USA obviously a lot of it is privatised, but in a place like here or the UK the burden on the public health system could be disastrous for everyone, even those who think staying isolated and healthy are going to be hit, imagine what might happen to health insurance costs!

When you start to add these impacts to the more immediate deadly effects, you can understand why the authorities are so jumpy.

For those of you who trust The Economist or Forbes, here is a nice plain language summary in Forbes,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2021/04/11/how-common-is-long-covid-new-studies-suggest-more-than-previously-thought/?sh=6f5aa1a6ee03

This article makes a claim that in one study they found vaccination even after an infection reduces long COVID symptoms, I haven't found the sources for that I'd be a bit sceptical, the reporting articles paraphrase a lot so you have to be careful, and they might just be local effects based on small numbers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3200
Interesting counterpoint in the UK. The conservative Government has just extended their lockdown for 4 more weeks. This is despite 60% of the population having had the first dose vaccine. And it’s also despite the current total of infections being a mere fraction of those at the peak a few months back. But the move was driven by a fairly steep recent rise (off a small base) that is blamed on the Delta variant. The hope is that the extended lockdown buys time to ensure 80% of the population can be vaccinated.

Many Tory MPs are frothing at the mouth, saying the lockdown is too excessive given the sorts of concerns raised in this thread.

Bear in mind Australia has botched its vaccination program and only around 20% of the population has received a 1st dose and hardly anyone has had the 2nd.

Reply #3201
Interesting counterpoint in the UK. The conservative Government has just extended their lockdown for 4 more weeks.
Yes, you have to wonder what they know regarding the health and financial costs of COVID-19.

I'd imagine if we'd been at that level of vaccination our country would be wide open under Scotty from Marketing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3202
The message is "own the criminal" and it must apply in this instance.  It surely will

Reply #3203
WWG1WGA

Reply #3204
The UK "lock downs"  are not what people here think they are.

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52530518

Some Covid restrictions in England will stay in place for now, the government has confirmed.

It had hoped to "remove all legal limits on social contact" from 21 June. That's been put back until 19 July - although a review will take place in two weeks.

So, this is what has been announced today.  FYI, my brother lives in London so I have a local viewpoint of what has been going on as well even though it is through one persons lens.

in any case:

What's been announced?

The delay is because of concerns over the Delta variant of Covid. Cases are growing by about 64% per week and in the worst affected areas are doubling, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said.

More time is needed to vaccinate people before remaining rules can be lifted, the PM said.

However, a few restrictions are being lifted:

The number of guests at a wedding will no longer be limited to 30, although venues and hosts will have to do a risk assessment to ensure social distancing can take place (similar rules apply to wakes)
    Care home residents will not necessarily have to self-isolate after leaving their care homes, and they will be able to nominate an "essential care-giver" who can visit, even if they are self-isolating
    Children can go on overnight trips in groups of 30 with, for example, the Scouts or Guides, or as part of summer residential schools
    Also, large events pilots will continue, including more Euro 2020 games and a number of other sports, arts and music events

There is a lot in there, but fork me, if we are going to compare the pandemic impact, to people who are currently free to travel across europe (never mind their own nation) we might want to visit what "restrictions" look like for them.

Ill re-iterate something here.  The English Premier League season, and European Champions League was hindered for a few weeks in total, and has had the odd spot fire and for the most part continued without fans as scheduled.

Look whats happening here by contrast.  FWIW, my brother just attended a music festival this weekend in Reading.  (Outside of his LGA).

AS an aside, I am a follower of Jason Byrne (irish comedian) and he calls the Irish government, (Gobsh-ites) as being lacksdaisacal with the approach. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #3205
Look whats happening here by contrast.  FWIW, my brother just attended a music festival this weekend in Reading.  (Outside of his LGA).
Does your brother get to Madejski Stadium much?

I've seen a few games there, soccer and rugby union, it's a reasonable venue for something privately owned and developed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3206
Yes, the UK lockdown is different. For a start, it’s a NATIONAL lockdown that’s 4 months old and the restrictions and it’s now in Stage 4, with the earlier restrictions being harsher. And they now have 60% of their population protected by a first dose. When will we be able to claim that; maybe at the end of this year if we’re lucky? But if we were at 60% right now, I’d imagine heads would be exploding in Melbourne if we still had any lockdown.

And don’t minimise the current restrictions: the Brits certainly aren’t: Restaurants & Pubs “face collapse” during extended England lockdown, the Guardian.
The Night Time Industries Association chief executive, Michael Kill, said the government had “switched the lights off” for the sector by extending restrictions – which include a bar on nightclubs reopening and limits on large events and performances – without offering any new help.

An NTIA survey found that one in four night-time economy firms, such as nightclubs and bars, don’t expect to survive the extra four weeks.
And we’re in our 2nd week of lockdown with a lessening of restrictions after the 1st week.

Reply #3207
Does your brother get to Madejski Stadium much?

I've seen a few games there, soccer and rugby union, it's a reasonable venue for something privately owned and developed.

I couldn't tell you he's in the notting hill area and has spent the last year hanging out with his mates and not adhering to their "strict" lockdowns in which you could go and do whatever with minimal policing.

Paul Hewson

Reply #3208
Yes, the UK lockdown is different. For a start, it’s a NATIONAL lockdown that’s 4 months old and the restrictions and it’s now in Stage 4, with the earlier restrictions being harsher. And they now have 60% of their population protected by a first dose. When will we be able to claim that; maybe at the end of this year if we’re lucky? But if we were at 60% right now, I’d imagine heads would be exploding in Melbourne if we still had any lockdown.

And don’t minimise the current restrictions: the Brits certainly aren’t: Restaurants & Pubs “face collapse” during extended England lockdown, the Guardian.And we’re in our 2nd week of lockdown with a lessening of restrictions after the 1st week.

You would have to live there to understand their lockdowns but my brother had a better Easter and Christmas than we did in the height of their lockdowns. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #3209
I’m guessing he doesn’t like going to nightclubs ...