Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS (Read 8146 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #75
Newnes was very average in the last reserves game ...
So was Parks who is getting a game this week.
So was Kennedy who is getting a game this week.
So was the other 20 blokes who wore navy blue.

BUT, his 'form' compared to the others is not comparable because he simply hasn;t played as much (reserves or otherwise).

I'm not saying pick him. Just saying it was strange to lump him in with the others since he hasn't actually been playing.

Reply #76
So was Parks who is getting a game this week.
So was Kennedy who is getting a game this week.
So was the other 20 blokes who wore navy blue.

BUT, his 'form' compared to the others is not comparable because he simply hasn;t played as much (reserves or otherwise).

I'm not saying pick him. Just saying it was strange to lump him in with the others since he hasn't actually been playing.

Yes Parks was average, but Kennedy was good.  The problem is that he can't seem to transfer seconds form the the firsts.

Team selection is a mystery to me.  Newnes didn't earn his spot last game, and he didn't do enough to justify another game, but he's not exactly Robinson Crusoe.

Clearly, we don't have the depth to make wholesale changes (and I'm not advocating that) and it may be that players are brought in to provide match ups with key opposition players.  If so, the reasoning is far too subtle for me.  And then there's the underdone, under-performing, highly paid players who must play whenever they're available.

It would be good if a match committee spokesperson could explain the thinking behind our team selection.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #77
Yes Parks was average, but Kennedy was good.  The problem is that he can't seem to transfer seconds form the the firsts.

Team selection is a mystery to me.  Newnes didn't earn his spot last game, and he didn't do enough to justify another game, but he's not exactly Robinson Crusoe.

Clearly, we don't have the depth to make wholesale changes (and I'm not advocating that) and it may be that players are brought in to provide match ups with key opposition players.  If so, the reasoning is far too subtle for me.  And then there's the underdone, under-performing, highly paid players who must play whenever they're available.

It would be good if a match committee spokesperson could explain the thinking behind our team selection.

It might help giving the lad a run of games in the 1s and playing him in his rightful position!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #78
It might help giving the lad a run of games in the 1s and playing him in his rightful position!

Where is his rightful position?

His best games for us were one as a forward in 2019 and one in the midfield the previous year.  That was when he had a run of seven straight games, played one good game, then fell away.  He simply doesn't get the ball enough to provide value as a midfielder and, like several other players, his inability to have an impact puts more pressure on Cripps and Walsh.

Happy to be proved wrong but I will be surprised if he is in our top ten for possessions on Saturday.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #79
Every time I thought we have had a chance in a game this year, I have been sorely disappointed.

So, I think we will get rolled, with the promise of surprised grin if I am proven wrong.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #80
Ever hopeful but I will be pleasantly surprised if we roll them.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #81
GWS are as reliable as we are and their coaching box equally unreliable so we have some hope. You add Mummy being out and I think we can roll them more by the law of averages...

Reply #82
To use a poor analogy for the GWS game, if we don't sail on this new ocean, we should just play with our boats in the wading pool.

Reply #83
I reckon you're right EB.

We are a good chance with Mummy out.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #84

The only game that I was confident of winning was the Collingwood game ... and that turned out well  :(

I don’t really think that the personnel each team puts on the park is all that important.  It’s the game plan, tactics, motivation and footy nous that decides games and I suspect that GWS has a significant edge ... but you never know!

I hope you are pleasantly surprised Cookie  :)

Reply #85
The only game that I was confident of winning was the Collingwood game ... and that turned out well  :(

I don’t really think that the personnel each team puts on the park is all that important.  It’s the game plan, tactics, motivation and footy nous that decides games and I suspect that GWS has a significant edge ... but you never know!

I hope you are pleasantly surprised Cookie  :)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-17/what-has-gone-wrong-with-carlton-this-year/100218856

I don't know whether this has been posted before but this article may explain why we have been struggling and will continue to do so unless things change.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #86
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-17/what-has-gone-wrong-with-carlton-this-year/100218856

I don't know whether this has been posted before but this article may explain why we have been struggling and will continue to do so unless things change.

I enjoyed that. Interesting info IMO.

Reply #87
Assuming that article has it right, the problem lies somewhere on the line connecting coaching instructions / structures and players adjusting / playing to those instructions. 

If you look at the first graph, Teague has made adjustments from 2020 to 2021, as the number of 1v1's has come down, but only barely. That slight reduction doesn't seem to make any real difference if you compare W/L, percentage etc., so it's either a token measure that doesn't go far enough, or else there are real personnel / structural issues that require a genuine overhaul of our entire defensive system and mindset.

Reply #89
Looking at that second graph, it's a massive credit to Weitering and Jones that, despite having the greatest number of 1v1's of the players graphed (each has about 6 1v1's per game), they have the highest win rate of those contests. Massive tick for both.