Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd ?: Carlton vs Port Melbourne (Read 7894 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2021 Rd ?: Carlton vs Port Melbourne

Reply #60
I will take an ugly win as opposed to an ugly loos. We see enough of those in the AFL.

Confirmed that Mirkov has a knee injury so fingers crossed for him that it is not an ACL, although the way he went down and did not get up and was in a lot of pain does not bode well for him with our luck with injuries at the club.

I shouldn't complain. It's not as if we see the "W" much.

Be just our luck with Mirkov.

Reply #61
Carroll is our best (albeit a way off AFL), which is an indictment on SPS, Murphy & LOB

Kemp’s miles off AFL, which is probably understandable

Is number 40 the new bulldogs guy?

Honey needs to do more

Overall very disappointing so far

We definitely must have been watching different games... different leagues?

Carroll was just about BOG

Reply #62
Fitness?

Good VFL player, but failed at AFL level twice
Recruiters may have formed the view that he can’t make the next step

Reply #63
Agreed. Carroll and Honey look handy, but that’s about where it ends

No matter what the VFL coach or the CFC PR machine says after the game, all of Boyd, Murphy, Cottrell, Williamson, SPS, LOB, Kemp were average at best and it’s not great when 7 listed Carlton players struggle to cut the mustard in the seconds.

Kemp is understandable, most of the other were happy to run around at half pace. You'd think there'd be some keenness to get back in the side. Levi was very good with 21 touches (that ever happened before anywhere?) as were Carroll and Honey.

Reply #64
We definitely must have been watching different games... different leagues?

Carroll was just about BOG

That post was at half time

Agree with you on Carroll (that’s why I said he was our best), but he really shouldn’t be with SPS, Murphy, LOb running around

Reply #65
Good VFL player, but failed at AFL level twice
Recruiters may have formed the view that he can’t make the next step
Thats probably right but in terms of know how and impact he was miles ahead of anyone on the ground today apart from Levi who did well in the ruck and around the ground as Jim suggested.
Carroll was good but I felt when Crocker touched the ball we looked like scoring and apart from his goals he also created a few for others as well. Not sure what the fascination with Boyd was in the mid deason draft?

Reply #66
They seemed to run it out of their defense way too easily. Especially in the first half. That was g r a d ually... rectified allowing our boys to regain control. Last quarter played as the other 3 should have been played. Our AFL players stood up q4. Although once again didn't dominate/control/assert across 4q's!

Hope Mircov injury is not serious and that our staff can manage his full recovery 🙄

Kemp had flashes. I liked his pressure and that of Durdin. Honey looked dangerous around goal. Carroll's clearance work was pleasing given his limited games. Williamson improved as the game went on, but gee, what's happened to his development?

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #67
Thats probably right but in terms of know how and impact he was miles ahead of anyone on the ground today apart from Levi who did well in the ruck and around the ground as Jim suggested.
Carroll was good but I felt when Crocker touched the ball we looked like scoring and apart from his goals he also created a few for others as well. Not sure what the fascination with Boyd was in the mid season draft?

Hopefully Boyd being suddenly thrusted in with new teammates just threw him off.

Reply #68
Just watched the last quarter and a half of today's match. You can be glass half full or glass half empty. I thought SPS, Casboult, Honey, Cottrell, Kemp and Carroll were good, Williamson, Murphy, Durdin and Boyd were ok, didn't see much of Ramsay, Mirkov went down injured and O'Brien just didn't get enough of the ball. Watching Murphy today I think his problem is that he has never been a marking player and now that he has lost a bit of zip he can't get to the spaces he wants to get to. O'Brien is good with ball in hand but he just doesn't get it enough. If you are choosing a wingman then you are choosing Cottrell ahead of O'Brien. Kemp Carroll and Honey are all players I would like to see in the firsts sometime this year and Kemp would definitely give our defence a bit more size. Casboult is clearly too good for this level of football.
I thought we should have gone harder for a bigger win but they haven't played for three weeks and they did lose Mirkov in the first quarter. I was happy with our young guys, except for O'Brien, and I thought Levi and Murphy showed good leadership. All in all it was a good result.

Reply #71
All of Boyd, Murphy, Cottrell, Williamson, SPS, LOB, Kemp were average at best.

Harsh on Kemp!!!! The fact that he’s survived a second match and getting some game time is a real positive. Don’t expect too much until 22.  Just let him develop!

Reply #72
Just watched the last quarter and a half of today's match. You can be glass half full or glass half empty. I thought SPS, Casboult, Honey, Cottrell, Kemp and Carroll were good, Williamson, Murphy, Durdin and Boyd were ok, didn't see much of Ramsay, Mirkov went down injured and O'Brien just didn't get enough of the ball. Watching Murphy today I think his problem is that he has never been a marking player and now that he has lost a bit of zip he can't get to the spaces he wants to get to. O'Brien is good with ball in hand but he just doesn't get it enough. If you are choosing a wingman then you are choosing Cottrell ahead of O'Brien. Kemp Carroll and Honey are all players I would like to see in the firsts sometime this year and Kemp would definitely give our defence a bit more size. Casboult is clearly too good for this level of football.
I thought we should have gone harder for a bigger win but they haven't played for three weeks and they did lose Mirkov in the first quarter. I was happy with our young guys, except for O'Brien, and I thought Levi and Murphy showed good leadership. All in all it was a good result.

Ramsay not in Sydney?

Reply #73
Our firsts team supposedly has fitness issues, can't run out games, and yet we have one bloke, LoB, who has elite fitness, and can run all day. Then take into account injuries. How crap / out of favour can this guy be to not be able to get a game under such circumstances ? And Matt Kennedy is another former 1st rounder who appears to be on the first bus outta PP.

Reply #74
I thought LOB was ok. Use of the ball is a clear level above others. If I had to promote either him or Cotterel out of today's match I would go with LOB.

Maybe his future is a Daniel Rich type. Being fed by his teammates coming off half back with his good ball use.