Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 13 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Essendon (Read 2622 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 13 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #15
 It was a very poor standard game, but a win is a win is a win, especially against the Drug Cheats.
[1] We were thrashed in the ruck and at the centre clearances, which was why we didn't win by more. Even so, our mids had strong games. Where were Essendon's? Making excuses. Merrett got a bit of the ball, but he was lazy and provided zero. Only Shiel had a match worth remembering. And this with the best service a team has got this year from a ruck pairing.
[2] Our defence looked very shaky. Durdin will have to come in next week. But we got the job done, especially on the ground in the back half.
[3] Our small forwards disappeared again after a promising start. We need to work on that.
[4] Congrats to Newman, Saad and Docherty on their great games. Really did the job.
[5] Umpiring: why do I bother looking for consistency? For that matter, downfield kicks to us seem to have disappeared. Doc was taken out early by Stringer and no free was paid. It was well after he kicked the ball.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
4 points is 4 points.

Could have been a 10 goal win.

Jake stringer got away with a lot of late hits and the umpires need to get serious about stamping out plain thuggery.

Can't believe they've given dissent frees all year and let hits after the ball is kicked without a down field free kick.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #17
Aaaah,  the good old late hit after its been disposed of down field (a package special),  the lingering tackle,  the lie over the bloke on the ground,  the "awkward" 'oh sorry mate, didn't mean that' high late spoil (perfected by Fletcher)....great ongoing contributions to the game.   Yet no other club squeals about umpires worse than that mob,  they are truly delusional.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #18
Doc, Saad and Young were excellent I thought. Marchy was solid in his return. Plowman seemed to do abit of run and carry and  attacked the bal quite a few times which I liked. He still struggles one on one but that probably just aint his gig. Overall I thought the defence held up ok.
Small forwards were very ordinary. Owies did a bit, Martin did about there nice things, Durdin was largely unsighted by his standards.
TDK battled manfully against two brutes, well done son, you did your utmost best given the circumstances. SOS gave a contest as usual but was on a hiding to nothing.
The midfield did the job but Vossy was clearly not happy with the engine room at 3/4 time. I thought at times they struggled to adapt to the wet and windy conditions.
Not our most polished performance but enough to get the 4 pts and rain on their parade...again. As others have said, a couple more wins and we will play finals. If we can get back the likes of Gov, Pitto and Weiters at the right time, who knows.
I rarely comment on the opposite but they are a rudderless rabble, their captain can stand in a huddle and tug at this jumper all he likes, his message ain't getting through. As for the stickers on his legs, grow up Dyson.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
We should win games against WCE & the Crows to take us to 11 games. That may be enough for us to make the 8. But it would be pretty unlikely that we won't be able to scrounge at least another 2 out of the other 8 games. Missing the finals would be a shock from here.

Early indicators are 11 won't be enough, might need 13.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #20
Early indicators are 11 won't be enough, might need 13.
Agree, 11 wins and the worst % of all the teams in the 8 won't cut it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21
In 2012 North finished 8th with 14 wins.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #22
In a game where our smalls should have done well, we fell a little short.  But thanks to our persistence, we ruined the scum's night.  Thanks for Saad by the way ... losers

Reply #23
Small forwards are underwhelming they are doing the bare minimum. Wonder if Izaak Rankine would want to play with this group. He is coming out of contract and we should have capital to snare him if he wants to join.

Reply #24
Crippa said after match that sometimes you have to win ugly. We did and it was, especially the 2nd half. But the 4 points went to PP, not Fart Hill.

Still plenty to work on and clean up on. Losing Cerra early was a blow but Cotters applied himself well. Will Hayes could get his first game next Thursday evening as Cerra's replacement.

At the risk of seeming shallow and petty (aren't they the legal advisers to the EFC - Shallow & Petty Lawyers?), one of the most pleasing aspects of the game and the win was the look on Sheedy's face. Especially after his efforts in the media during the week and all the pre game palava. Hird emerging a la Arnie from the smoky dugout like a Terminator hero was ...hilarious. All he needed was a cape, with an image of a giant syringe embroidered on it.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #25
Got the points but thought apart from a few bursts we pretty average footy but we got the job done which ties in with what good football teams do. They beat the lower teams even when they are not playing their best and in years gone by this is exactly the sort of game we drop. With a full team reckon we are a 10 goal better team then them.

That aside Doc is an out and out star. His story borders on unbelievable and nothing except a flag would make me happier then if this guy gets AA again this year. what an inspiration he is. The bloke never stops, runs flat out for the full 120 minutes and when you consider what this poor bloke has endured it’s simply amazing.

Certain things are bigger then footy and to think he is considered as being in the best 22 players of the comp when many wondered if he would even play again is just outrageous. Don’t forget he also had a double acl injuries.

Love that this bloke is ours and reckon I’m not the only one.
Thought I saw Draper try and clean up Doc in a head on, just another neanderthal Bomber thug straight off the old production line is that kid.
Doc is a champ and very inspiring, he should be AA or very close...

Reply #26
Small forwards are underwhelming they are doing the bare minimum. Wonder if Izaak Rankine would want to play with this group. He is coming out of contract and we should have capital to snare him if he wants to join.

Thought the same thing re our small forwards. Good that Owies hit the scoreboard twice and continued his pressure stuff well, but small Durds, though he worked hard, needed more reward for effort and hurt on the defenders/scoreboard. Owies, small Durds, Fisher and Martin will need to be at their best against the Tiggers.

Whipping boy Boyd, did his job but still needs to do more. Though his delivery by foot last night was elite and very effective in piercing the opposition and setting up opportunities down field. We'll need to improve in the backline against the Tiggers, considerably... the cheats.com.au forward line is a rabble. As an aside, and right in front of the umpire, that hit on Doc by Stringer after he'd disposed of the aggot was a free down field every day of the week. Cheap stuff from Stringer, but we'd expect little else.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
Rankine will want back home to SA.....Martin started well but didn't do enough and is going to have run harder this week with Richmond having their own Saad's in Short and Baker who we can't let run free...Need more goals from Martin and creative stuff to help Owies, Durdin, Fisher...

Reply #28
Hird emerging a la Arnie from the smoky dugout like a Terminator hero was ...hilarious. All he needed was a cape, with an image of a giant syringe embroidered on it.
They just don’t get it. The guy did not leave the game better - to get absolution he needs to be honest and tell Everyone what happened! Until then I can’t respect him! I felt sorry for others like Rama, Scott, Lloyd to have to play second fiddle to Hird last night! Maybe a champion player but most definitely not a champion bloke! If he would just tell the truth in its entirety it would go a long way, no matter what his involvement was. But this pretend nothing happened and you’re still the best ever produced? No. 

Reply #29
Firstly, loved it coming down the stairs at the end of the game to a rousing rendition of 'Happy Birthday dear Essendon....' - priceless!

Can understand why Voss tore into them at 3/4 time - I said to my son at the 25 minute mark of the third quarter that we had started to play 'cute' football with no real intent to crush an opponent that was pretty much done and dusted.  To a certain extent, we were just lucky that the Bombers were so dysfunctional in the forward half that they couldn't kick a score to make the last quarter more nerve-wracking that it needed to be.

Mind you, if you had said to me at the start of the game that we would lose the centre clearances 8-13, and still get the 4 points - I would have taken that in a heartbeat.

All in all, a pretty important 4 points - they were bound to be pumped up and they always find an extra 10% against us.

3 important points :

In Weitering's absence, Lewis Young did a great job - he always looks pretty assured, good hands, and is a fantastic kick.  Several times I saw him zone off Wright to impact the ball which was heading to another contest. This guy reads the game extremely well, he has the potential to be a Jakovich/Rance/McGovern CHB for many years in Navy Blue

We lost the 'tackles inside 50' count 18 to 7 - Owies/Martin/Durdin/Fisher need to work harder to stop it from getting out.  Will definitely need more pressure against Rich/Freo/StK over the next 3 weeks.

Just need a bit more refining work on the Harry/Charlie combo, so they are not flying for marks against each other.  They looked particularly potent when one was grabbing marks at half forward and then kicking to the other 50 metres downfield.

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?