Skip to main content
Topic: The Hard Road To The Premiership  (Read 58139 times) previous topic - next topic

The Hard Road To The Premiership

After an extremely successful trade period, it should be clear to everyone that we are now on a long journey to firstly rejuvenate our playing list and then go on to win No. 17.

With that in mind, here is how I see us performing over the next few years :

2016 : 17th - 18th
With a new coach and a lot of new players, we cannot expect a dramatic improvement in our ladder position especially as we don't have the full set of playing cards to work with. The game plan will be built around our patchwork quilt playing list so we can expect some bad losses score-wise. On the flipside, I'm expecting a more cohesive & committed effort from the team as the season progresses. Players will get to know each other better plus Bolton's message will seep in and the overall camaraderie will be forged.

2017 : 14th - 16th
Another season of retirements, trade deals and new kids via the draft will see our list transform even further. The new young players will have more games under their belt plus they will have physically & mentally developed even further. 

2018 : 8th - 10th
Expecting a quantum leap up the ladder here as the playing list finally takes shape for the future. There'll be closer matches in 2017 with many a nail-biter on the cards, the players will now be disciplined and dedicated to fighting it out to the finish. 

2019 : 6th - 8th
With three years of player development & experience plus some shrewd 'for need' trades, we should be forcing our way into the finals once again. I'm also expecting the new culture in the club to be fully ingrained and a powerful ingredient for all associated.

2020 : Top 4
Learning from our mistakes and with an even stronger hunger for success, this is the year we match it with the best in the league and earn the double-chance in the finals.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: The Hard Road To The Premiership

Reply #1
Those GWS guys will be on your Cracked list in no time Sheik.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
next year is going to  suck bigtime.

reckon we will be 2006 bad?

Reply #3
After an extremely successful trade period, it should be clear to everyone that we are now on a long journey to firstly rejuvenate our playing list and then go on to win No. 17.

With that in mind, here is how I see us performing over the next few years :

2016 : 17th - 18th
With a new coach and a lot of new players, we cannot expect a dramatic improvement in our ladder position especially as we don't have the full set of playing cards to work with. The game plan will be built around our patchwork quilt playing list so we can expect some bad losses score-wise. On the flipside, I'm expecting a more cohesive & committed effort from the team as the season progresses. Players will get to know each other better plus Bolton's message will seep in and the overall camaraderie will be forged.

Yep
Given the dramatic changes to the list I'm back-tracking a bit from previous statements regarding the need to see dramatic improvement in 2016

The list has been given a huge shakeup and I couldn't hazard a guess about the makeup of a round one team.
The players are going to take half a season to learn each others first names. ::) :D
Next year is all about coming together as a team.
What we need to see is more cohesion as the season progresses and some real signs of combination by years end.

Reply #4
Those GWS guys will be on your Cracked list in no time Sheik.

They'll be given the normal leeway that I give to all newbies. Liam Jones on the other hand .........   :P
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #6
Cant see us winning a game next year tbh as much as that saddens me !

I think what we've ended up with is a big dose of unpredictability.
The group may struggle, but they may gel quicker than we expect.
I can't even pick a team at this stage so I certainly cant predict results.
What I do know is that it will be a different Carlton.
That's a bit exciting. ;) :D

Reply #7
As different as possible to last year please....

Reply #8
Yep
Given the dramatic changes to the list I'm back-tracking a bit from previous statements regarding the need to see dramatic improvement in 2016

The list has been given a huge shakeup and I couldn't hazard a guess about the makeup of a round one team.
The players are going to take half a season to learn each others first names. ::) :D
Next year is all about coming together as a team.
What we need to see is more cohesion as the season progresses and some real signs of combination by years end.

What we need to see is consistent effort. The rest will take care of itself.....eventually. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9
They'll be given the normal leeway that I give to all newbies. Liam Jones on the other hand .........   :P

Liam Jones will be a decent defender. Bolton will make sure of that. I expect new kids in next years draft and maybe a trade or 2 for a couple more picks. Maybe a player and a 3rd round pick for a second rounder, considering the list will run deeper. 2018 will be a chance to load up on a couple of FA's. Once we have shown improved efforts once the next 2 seasons, we will be a side players want to play for. I expect SOS and Bolton to speak to many players from other clubs to get into their ears.

2016: 16-18th
2017: 10-12th
2019: 7-8th
2020: Top 4, with our 17th flag.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #11
I would be very surprised if we finish lower than 14th next season.

Yes, we have shed a few players but none of them really made a contribution in 2015.  We have replaced them with some fringe players who are hungry and well known by SOS.  I'd back them in to perform better than the blokes who have left.

We need a bit of luck with our draft selections but we now have a coaching panel that understands the way footy is played and, hopefully, with the ability to get the best out of the list. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
I'm with you, and we surely will have a better run with injuries, which makes a big difference to a shallow list

Reply #13
Bottom 4 and probably bottom 2 for me in 2016...the GWS kids are slaves there to keep paddling only  and keep the boat going.....the quality kids we get from the draft are still kids....
If we think Weitering is going to be able to take Josh Kennedy, Cloke, Tex Walker etc in 2016 and win the day then some are going to be very frustrated....
2-3 hard years ahead then no bottom 4 for ten years.....

Major problem next year will be goalkickers.......

Reply #14
next year is going to  suck bigtime.

reckon we will be 2006 bad?

I think some of you have forgotten already how bad this year was, Henderson was crap apart from when we player St Kilda, Yarran was injured, suspended, demoted or sooking it up, Menzel was injured, demoted and gasping for breath and Bell who was good for him still would have to make some of the biggest bonehead decisions on a football field.

This season we get back Gibbs, Thomas who missed pretty much all year Kruezer for a pre season, Murphy who misses the last month, we still have Everitt and Casboult with Walker as forwards options. There should be natural improvement in Cripps, Graham, Jacksh, Docherty, Buckley. We pick up a gun CHB prospect in Weitering, plus a great third tall option Plowman and a hard running midfielder in Kerridge plus two quick small forwards.

Will we get out of the bottom 4? Probably not. All we need to show is effort and a game plan that suits our team and build on that. I expect to win 6 games next season.