Skip to main content
Topic: The Hard Road To The Premiership  (Read 61273 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Hard Road To The Premiership

Reply #150
I think we have too many players who do not want the shot, they have become gun shy as a result of too many relatively easy missed set shots.

I think we have a positive this year, we have many new faces who want to score goals. We just need the old brigade to give them the opportunities to do so!

So, in your opinion, it's because we have crap goal kickers who are mentally scarred by failure ?

Reply #151
what's the link for all theses stats please?

So if we improve the number AND QUALITY of the I50s and improve our conversion, we're a shoe in for the eight right!?  ;) ;)

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/2016.html

We would certainly increase our top 8 chances, for sure. But it's easy to say (or type), not so easy to do.

Reply #152
As LP intimated, we sat 13th for I50's last season, 12th for marks I50, then 17th for goals, 15th for behinds.

We're simply not getting enough return for those entries. Again I ask, is it because of bad goal kicking, bad entries that make scoring harder etc. ?
IMO it's a combination of;

1 - having no quality KPF to who presents consistently and well for the mids to kick the ball to - so we bomb it.
2- no second and third string goal kickers who can consistently score [think Gunston, Clay Smith, LeCras] and make life difficult for defenders and spread them
3 - lack of pace and true crumbing forward
4 - poor goal kicking technique. Thus also leads to guys trying to pass the ball off.
5 - poor foot skills from the guys delivering ball into i50

On my stats we were 7th for marks inside 50 [12], but i reckon if you looked at marks inside 25 we would be bottom. We take a lot from long range which obviously means you miss a lot.
I'm of the view that without quality forwards you can have a great midfield and lot of i50's

Reply #154

1 - having no quality KPF to who presents consistently and well for the mids to kick the ball to - so we bomb it.
2- no second and third string goal kickers who can consistently score [think Gunston, Clay Smith, LeCras] and make life difficult for defenders and spread them
4 - poor goal kicking technique. Thus also leads to guys trying to pass the ball off.

On my stats we were 7th for marks inside 50 [12], but i reckon if you looked at marks inside 25 we would be bottom. We take a lot from long range which obviously means you miss a lot.
I'm of the view that without quality forwards you can have a great midfield and lot of i50's

sbf, these are similar to my thoughts as well.

Reply #155
Best sites for those looking for more data are;

http://afltables.com/afl/afl_index.html
http://www.footywire.com/
https://www.draftguru.com.au/ - an awesome database about trading and drafts.
http://www.matterofstats.com/ - incredibly detailed stats analysis

Have fun  ;) ;)

Thanks for that ....
We might set up a separate section for these as they are pretty useful...I use the afltables a fair bit.

Reply #156

In a nutshell SBF! Very nice summary.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #157
sbf, I know it's not trendy, I know it's probably daggy, but I have no faith that Casboult will fix his kicking now. He's been on the list 5, 6 seasons, plus the NB's before that, plus x years of junior footy, and still these chronic problems persist. I should also add, somewhat comically, that the Hawks under Clarkson didn't have all that recent success by following trends.

The FF in the goal square doesn't have to be every second of every game. I've said before Levi is great as a target after a behind is scored, on the wing etc. He could easily play a few different roles - just nothing that involves kicking for goal between 20-50m from goal.

Other teams know Casboult will be a nightmare in the goal square. It's takes his big Achilles heel out of the equation. He's an elite mark. He can easily hold his own in the rough stuff. He will never be left one on one in the goal square. He'll have at least 2, maybe 3 defenders watching him, because from there he'll mark anything and won't miss. He can even be used as a decoy if required. The F50 setup is critical - we need the 2nd and 3rd talls, and the goal sneaks all set up correctly. The ball delivery needs to be suited to the play. Flat and short to the 2nd and 3rd talls further away from goal. Higher and more helicopter style if going to the goal square, pricnially to avoid being picked off as an intercept by a defender.

I say we try it for a few games - it's not as if we're putting our flag chances in jeopardy by doing so.

re potential to kick his kicking issues...
I've said the same thing. If he hasn't done it by now, the chance of it happening and close enough to zero that you might as well call it zero.

Given that he is actually not a bad field kick, and given he is a VERY good grab of the ball, why not play him as a PURE ruckman, rather than a part time ruckman?

Work in a way to have Casboult ruck from the defensive half of the ground, and Kreuzer to ruck the forward half of the ground.

That way Casboult can pick off any long bombs into defense and bash and crash a few opposition forwards.
and
Kreuzer can drift forward and take the odd grab and kick a goal. His defensive pressure will help lock the ball in our forward line too.

If one gets injured, his replacement is already there.

Of course we need to worry about finding ONE KPF, before we worry about finding TWO, but that can be next years problem.

Reply #158
So we can add you to the list of people who don''t like my "Cas in the goal square" idea ?

Reply #159
So we can add you to the list of people who don''t like my "Cas in the goal square" idea ?

Sure can.

I think the further away from the goalsquare the better.....even if that means he's at preston!

Reply #160
Sure can.

I think the further away from the goalsquare the better.....even if that means he's at preston!

Very cheeky.

Oh well, despite the thumbs down, I still like the idea, and I think it has merit.

Reply #161
I liked Casboult's work around the ground last weekend.
I think that where he provides us with the most value... with the occasional drift to the goal square to keep the defenders on their toes.

Reply #162
I liked Casboult's work around the ground last weekend.
I think that where he provides us with the most value... with the occasional drift to the goal square to keep the defenders on their toes.

Reply #163
As LP intimated, we sat 13th for I50's last season, 12th for marks I50, then 17th for goals, 15th for behinds.

We're simply not getting enough return for those entries. Again I ask, is it because of bad goal kicking, bad entries that make scoring harder etc. ?
Just on the entries, our fwds either lead too much to, or we get pushed towards, the pockets alot. So that appears (to me at least) where alot of our shots are taken from which are a higher degree of difficulty. Is that our fwd structure breakdown down/being flawed? Or is it a ploy by teams against us? Having said that, we seem to miss a lot of getable ones directly in front also.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #164
Just on the entries, our fwds either lead too much to, or we get pushed towards, the pockets a lot. So that appears (to me at least) where a lot of our shots are taken from which are a higher degree of difficulty. Is that our fwd structure breakdown down/being flawed? Or is it a ploy by teams against us? Having said that, we seem to miss a lot of get-able ones directly in front also.

So many things to fix, so little time.