Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Round 2 - Blues v Pies (11 March, Monday holiday) (Read 22199 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Round 2 - Blues v Pies (11 March, Monday holiday)

Reply #135
Will be interesting to see the Rd 1 team - sounds like neither Polson nor Garlett did much today?
I cant see Garlett holding a defensive role. Looked lost.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #136
Fellas, there's no way I've written them off.  Just gonna be a slow start IMO and how we develop

Reply #137
What went really well today were the amount of times we were able to break down their ball movement. They had a lot of possessions which went sideways and back which was obviously a result of our midfield defensive slide across the ground to cut off easy options. When they picked a way through the midfield our defense were pretty good at intercepting them. We won't face too many midfields more capable of cutting up an opponent through the midfield than collingwood.

What dropped off from last week was the damage from the small forwards. Gibbons, Ed and Polson weren't able to have the impact crumbing they did against the bombres.

Cunningham was very good again but down on last week.

One comment: There seemed to be a breeze blowing to the end that we kicked to in the last quarter. It was the scoring end - but the commentators never seemed to pick up on it.

Reply #138
Early in the last quarter I checked the stats on the AFL app and Collingwood had the top 10 ranked players on the ground and 17 of the top 19.

Relying on stats rather than paying attention to what the players are doing will always provide an unrealistic impression of the game.

Our defensive pressure forced Collingwood to use lots of dinky sideways or backwards kicks.  Most of the possessions racked up by the Collingwood players were inconsequential.  With an ounce of luck, we would have won the game even though we had less of the ball.  What we did do is win the clearances and and apply pressure all over the ground.  A little more system inside 50 and going inside 50 and we would have been easy winners - and that's with a team of kids playing against last year's grand finalists.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #139
One comment: There seemed to be a breeze blowing to the end that we kicked to in the last quarter. It was the scoring end - but the commentators never seemed to pick up on it.
I also thought the wind was making the ball drop short and we were struggling to read it. I think it was when we were kicking to the right of screen.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #140
Some very harsh calls on Simpson, Curnow, Mckay who were all serviceable.

I also didn't think that Garlett was too bad I'd have him in the team well before either of Polson who lacks the ability to finish and Plowman who simply moves too slowly.Plowman is a real concern as he's too slow moving toward the ball and getting the ball to his boot - his actions are all too telegraphed and I'm just not sure if it's possible to train somebody to speed up their body movement after they've been playing footy for so long.

Reply #141
Some very harsh calls on Simpson, Curnow, Mckay who were all serviceable.

I also didn't think that Garlett was too bad I'd have him in the team well before either of Polson who lacks the ability to finish and Plowman who simply moves too slowly.Plowman is a real concern as he's too slow moving toward the ball and getting the ball to his boot - his actions are all too telegraphed and I'm just not sure if it's possible to train somebody to speed up their body movement after they've been playing footy for so long.

Not that impressed with Garlett or Polson...I know we need a small defender with pace but you put either of those two up vs quality and its going to end in disaster IMO.......
Richmond are not the team to be experimenting with either......
Collingwood didnt play DeGoey and used Elliott as a main forward and its a tactic we struggle with IMO.....did the same thing with Sidebottom and Treloar last season.

Plowman is a lock down defender who got lost with the game plan of defending grass least season, then got injured and looks a bit rusty. I think his slowness is more to do with needing game time to pick up the pace of the game, like to see him give the ball off to players like Newman a bit more who can carry and use the footy.

Reply #142
I'd like to know what  MacGovern is going to do to justify the  fat term contract.  Yet to be impressed.  Not buying the hype.

Dow....  Be prepared for second year blues I reckon.

Biggest concern... The coach.   Game plan and system... When are we going to see some???
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #143
Not that impressed with Garlett or Polson...I know we need a small defender with pace but you put either of those two up vs quality and its going to end in disaster IMO.......
Richmond are not the team to be experimenting with either......
Collingwood didnt play DeGoey and used Elliott as a main forward and its a tactic we struggle with IMO.....did the same thing with Sidebottom and Treloar last season.

Plowman is a lock down defender who got lost with the game plan of defending grass least season, then got injured and looks a bit rusty. I think his slowness is more to do with needing game time to pick up the pace of the game, like to see him give the ball off to players like Newman a bit more who can carry and use the footy.

Yes, I’d prefer to see Garlett on a wing, but with Williamson and Docherty on the pine we need somebody with pace to help Newman and Simpson handle opposition small forwards. A combination of Simpson, Thomas & Plowman will be way too slow and if we go with that Castagna, Butler etc will have a field day.

I would have liked to see Stocker trialled in defence during the JLT as he looks to have some size and pace and could do what Carrazzo did when he first came to the blues playing out of the back pocket.

Reply #144
I'd like to know what  MacGovern is going to do to justify the  fat term contract.  Yet to be impressed.  Not buying the hype.

Biggest concern... The coach.   Game plan and system... When are we going to see some???

In the last two games there was more intent than any other year under Bolton tongo thhough the corridor. There has been less side to side than previous years meaning we are moving the ball
Faster. In theory this should mean better entries into our 50 but we aren’t there yet.

Defensive game plan looked good and we’ve also seen a heap
More intercept marking.

Gone are the days of an all encompassing game plan. Different scenarios require different tactics - lots of good progress over the pre season in this regard. As players mature and get fitter execution will improve.

Reply #145
Carlton website:

Best:

Jones, Cripps, Simpson, Petrevski-Seton, McKay, Murphy

Now there’s a discussion point!!!

AFL website:

Best - Cripps, Simpson, Petrevski-Seton, Cuningham, McKay, Jones

I reckon that’s pretty close to the mark.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #146
A few things;

Firstly, I can't see us running with one ruck and McKay, it's obvious where McKay does his best work and when you move him out of F50 you are robbing Peter to pay Paul. So I suspect that when the big dance starts dependent on opposition we will in fact have two rucks as well as McKay and McGovern. I don't really count Charlie as he can play anywhere, but I thought the problem was when McKay went into the ruck Charlie, Cripps and McGovern resting at FF didn't work, they just aren't that sort of target. That will make the selection of those around them critical, to balance out the lack of run. Also, we need our small forwards to be far more aggressive at offering the marking targets some chop-outs and blocks, we are still miles behind a team like Nthmond in this regard.

(FWIW, one ruck with a rotating KPF didn't really work for either side.)

Secondly, I hope when the big dance starts the old timers lift their game, excluding Daisy who always gives 100%, the other seniors on our list were the prime offenders in terms of missing targets and turning the ball over. I hope like hell that the problems are not endemic, we need the old blokes setting an example not dragging the kids down! (I can't believe some Carlton fans still want Daisy out, without him we'd self-destruct behind the football! (Daisy's almost our most important player in the absence of a fleet of runners.)

Finally, do not expect too much this season. Despite taking a big step forward in terms of depth and skill our kids are still kids with small AFL bodies. When the heat goes up another level many of them will be easily brushed aside, we looked small and light next to the Filth's men. Which is a worry for blokes like Cripps, Charlie, Kreuzer, Jones, Weitering and McGovern who will have to wear much of the physical heat if we are to progress.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #147
Great summary, especially your Daisy comment

Reply #148

McGovern is going to do something that most of our guys dont.

Kick straight.  Particularly when the pressure is on.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #149
A few things;

Firstly, I can't see us running with one ruck and McKay, it's obvious where McKay does his best work and when you move him out of F50 you are robbing Peter to pay Paul. So I suspect that when the big dance starts dependant on opposition we will in fact have two rucks as well as McKay and McGovern. I don't really count Chalrie as he can play anywhere, but I thought the problem was when McKay went into the ruck Charlie, Cripps and McGovern resting at FF didn't work, they just aren't that sort of target. That will make the selection of those around them critical, to balance out the lack of run. Also, we need our small forwards to be far more aggressive at offering the marking targets some chop-outs and blocks, we are still miles behind a team like Nthmond in this regard.

(FWIW, one ruck with a rotating KPF didn't really work for either side.)

Secondly, I hope when the big dance starts the old timers lift their game, excluding Daisy who always gives 100%, the other seniors on our list were the prime offenders in terms of missing targets and turning the ball over. I hope like hell that the problems are not endemic, we need the old blokes setting an example not dragging the kids down! (I can't believe some Carlton fans still want Daisy out, without him we'd self-destruct behind the football! (Daisy's almost our most important player in the absence of a fleet of runners.)

Finally, do not expect too much this season. Despite taking a big step forward in terms of depth and skill our kids are still kids with small AFL bodies. When the heat goes up another level many of them will be easily brushed aside, we looked small and light next to the Filth's men. Which is a worry for blokes like Cripps, Charlie, Kreuzer, Jones, Weitering and McGovern who will have to wear much of the physical heat if we are to progress.

Yet blokes like Newman, Fasolo, Gibbons are also mature bodies. All should be regular starters. Ditto Cuners and SPS (the latter is as slippery as any going around). Philips and Lobbe too.

Plowman is now 24 and hardly a glass man.

Marchbank and Willo? We'll see what the Terrrier can conjure?

So, I don't buy the small body line....plenty of teams with plenty of light framed, young types who go just fine.

A bigger issue imo is the durability of our ruck stocks - all three seem injury prone.

Curnow, MM and big H need to fire up, that would be a good start!
Finals, then 4 in a row!