Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546616 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1995
Broadcasters have demanded Cricket Australia take urgent steps to arrest the declining standards of the Big Bash League.

There are still three weeks remaining of the inaugural 59-game season but already robust discussions have been instigated behind the scenes by Fox Cricket and Seven, who are growing increasingly agitated about their $175 million-a-year investment.

It’s understood the TV rights holders are not arguing to reduce the number of games, but are lobbying for other dramatic changes they believe necessary to save the extended seven-week competition from withering on the vine over the course of their six-year deal.

There’s a belief that the lack of resources for the BBL to even compete for A-list international names such as AB de Villiers and Andre Russell has led to a talent and star-power crisis for many teams forced to top up their rosters with club cricketers. Fox and Seven believe a season running as long as the Indian Premier League can work, but only if other critical measures are taken to support the move to an elongated schedule.

Broadcasters are asking for:

• A major increase to the current $1.7m salary cap to bring back international stars;

• A boost in the number of international marquee spots from two per side to as many as four;

• A crackdown on the dire state of pitches being used around the country that has ruined the spectacle at many grounds, with fewer sixes and lower scores;

• Amendments to the schedule to help bring back crowds.

On Sunday night, the Seven Network promoted on their Twitter feed comments from Brisbane Heat star Chris Lynn arguing that the season is too long:

“I think 14 games (per side) is too many … that’s just the vibe I’m getting,” Lynn said.

Lynn’s comments might not have accurately reflected the network’s view, but the post — and the reaction to it — encapsulated the widespread angst behind the scenes from broadcasters, players, coaches and fans alike who feel the competition has gone backwards.

Television ratings for the Big Bash this summer are exceeding both Fox and Seven’s expectations, but both rights holders fear for long-term sustainability unless immediate changes are made by CA at the end of this BBL season.

Broadcasters feel the chances of a 59-game season succeeding have been badly compromised by such a negligible increase to the salary cap — and want to see the mega dollars they have laid out for rights better invested in the BBL.

Under the MOU, the salary cap is only increasing by about $75,000 per year, grossly inadequate according to the networks who have despaired as the likes of de Villiers, Russell, Chris Gayle and Jason Roy — not to mention David Warner and Steve Smith — have featured instead in the Bangladesh Premier League, which offers more money for less work.

The few stars that have signed up for this BBL have in many cases required a large slice of the cap and left teams to fill out their rosters with club cricketers. This has led to criticism of the poor standard of fielding and batting.

Broadcasters don’t believe two internationals on each roster is enough and are demanding more overseas signings, but CA could potentially face opposition from the Australian Cricketers Association if there are fewer jobs for homegrown players.

There is a belief CA will listen to the growing discontent. CA chief executive Kevin Roberts has acknowledged pitches in the first half of the BBL were unacceptable, and isn’t shying away from making scheduling tweaks, but he has flagged the prospect that a BBL salary cap increase could take money away from Sheffield Shield players.

“(The salary cap) is certainly something we’ll keep an eye on over time,” Roberts said on SEN.

“We need to be competitive in terms of player payments and make sure we really cement the position of the BBL in the top two domestic T20 leagues in the world.

“If you’re paying players more for one format you need to reduce pay in another format typically.”

The Fox Cricket channel has accounted for 99 of the top 100 programs on Foxtel over summer and 5.7 per cent of all TV viewing across free-to-air and subscription services. This gives Fox a high-rating sport outside the winter football codes and motor racing.

An average 327,000 viewers tuned in to one-day internationals on Foxtel with 218,000 for BBL matches and 247,000 for Tests simulcast with Seven.

Reply #1996
Warning, if you own an OLED TV and watch cricket.

Beware of the bright red Channel 7 HD logo, it is reported to be burning in to many TV's after only a few days of watching the 7 HD broadcast of test cricket.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1997
Broadcasters have demanded Cricket Australia take urgent steps to arrest the declining standards of the Big Bash League.

There are still three weeks remaining of the inaugural 59-game season but already robust discussions have been instigated behind the scenes by Fox Cricket and Seven, who are growing increasingly agitated about their $175 million-a-year investment.

It’s understood the TV rights holders are not arguing to reduce the number of games, but are lobbying for other dramatic changes they believe necessary to save the extended seven-week competition from withering on the vine over the course of their six-year deal.

There’s a belief that the lack of resources for the BBL to even compete for A-list international names such as AB de Villiers and Andre Russell has led to a talent and star-power crisis for many teams forced to top up their rosters with club cricketers. Fox and Seven believe a season running as long as the Indian Premier League can work, but only if other critical measures are taken to support the move to an elongated schedule.

Broadcasters are asking for:

• A major increase to the current $1.7m salary cap to bring back international stars;

• A boost in the number of international marquee spots from two per side to as many as four;

• A crackdown on the dire state of pitches being used around the country that has ruined the spectacle at many grounds, with fewer sixes and lower scores;

• Amendments to the schedule to help bring back crowds.

On Sunday night, the Seven Network promoted on their Twitter feed comments from Brisbane Heat star Chris Lynn arguing that the season is too long:

“I think 14 games (per side) is too many … that’s just the vibe I’m getting,” Lynn said.

Lynn’s comments might not have accurately reflected the network’s view, but the post — and the reaction to it — encapsulated the widespread angst behind the scenes from broadcasters, players, coaches and fans alike who feel the competition has gone backwards.

Television ratings for the Big Bash this summer are exceeding both Fox and Seven’s expectations, but both rights holders fear for long-term sustainability unless immediate changes are made by CA at the end of this BBL season.

Broadcasters feel the chances of a 59-game season succeeding have been badly compromised by such a negligible increase to the salary cap — and want to see the mega dollars they have laid out for rights better invested in the BBL.

Under the MOU, the salary cap is only increasing by about $75,000 per year, grossly inadequate according to the networks who have despaired as the likes of de Villiers, Russell, Chris Gayle and Jason Roy — not to mention David Warner and Steve Smith — have featured instead in the Bangladesh Premier League, which offers more money for less work.

The few stars that have signed up for this BBL have in many cases required a large slice of the cap and left teams to fill out their rosters with club cricketers. This has led to criticism of the poor standard of fielding and batting.

Broadcasters don’t believe two internationals on each roster is enough and are demanding more overseas signings, but CA could potentially face opposition from the Australian Cricketers Association if there are fewer jobs for homegrown players.

There is a belief CA will listen to the growing discontent. CA chief executive Kevin Roberts has acknowledged pitches in the first half of the BBL were unacceptable, and isn’t shying away from making scheduling tweaks, but he has flagged the prospect that a BBL salary cap increase could take money away from Sheffield Shield players.

“(The salary cap) is certainly something we’ll keep an eye on over time,” Roberts said on SEN.

“We need to be competitive in terms of player payments and make sure we really cement the position of the BBL in the top two domestic T20 leagues in the world.

“If you’re paying players more for one format you need to reduce pay in another format typically.”

The Fox Cricket channel has accounted for 99 of the top 100 programs on Foxtel over summer and 5.7 per cent of all TV viewing across free-to-air and subscription services. This gives Fox a high-rating sport outside the winter football codes and motor racing.

An average 327,000 viewers tuned in to one-day internationals on Foxtel with 218,000 for BBL matches and 247,000 for Tests simulcast with Seven.

Think AB Devilliers made it common knowledge he doesnt want to play overseas anymore as he wants to spend more time with his young family and only needs to play IPL for Bangalore to earn what he needs.
Dont see him playing Big Bash unless the money was way way too good to refuse and I dont see the BBL ever getting close to being able to afford what the IPL pays him...did read he was contemplating playing in the Pakistan 20/20 comp but they must be offering mega bucks..
I'd question the interest in 20/20 cricket in Australia...I dont go out of my way to watch it and with a small population in Aus I dont see it ever having the organic growth to compete with the overseas 20/20 comps...

Reply #1998
Think AB Devilliers made it common knowledge he doesnt want to play overseas anymore as he wants to spend more time with his young family and only needs to play IPL for Bangalore to earn what he needs.
Dont see him playing Big Bash unless the money was way way too good to refuse and I dont see the BBL ever getting close to being able to afford what the IPL pays him...did read he was contemplating playing in the Pakistan 20/20 comp but they must be offering mega bucks..
I'd question the interest in 20/20 cricket in Australia...I dont go out of my way to watch it and with a small population in Aus I dont see it ever having the organic growth to compete with the overseas 20/20 comps...

There is only one thing that makes all 20/20 comps tick, and that is money.
The TV stations have paid the big bucks, now they want to have a say in the distribution of the payments to players and the scheduling.
CA should increase the Cap of each side and get more sponsorship for the better product.

If CA play this right they may be able to manipulate a scenario that allows BBL to be moved to it's very own time slot, outside of December and January.
All of February and a week or two of March sounds ideal.

That would leave first class cricket to support test cricket, at the time of the year that it should.
Have the first class final finished by end of January.

Reply #1999
The TV stations have paid the big bucks, now they want to have a say in the distribution of the payments to players and the scheduling.

It seems like big bucks but for a week(24x7) of continuous programming it's dirt cheap compared to the alternatives. There is a reason blokes like Packer ended up billionaires.

CA didn't have the balls in the past to do anything about it, but in reality from a cost of production/airtime perspective the BBL alone is worth half an AFL season! Even more than AFL they get a certified Ad opportunity every 3 minutes through the entire broadcast with drinks breaks and change of innings an extra!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2000
There is only one thing that makes all 20/20 comps tick, and that is money.
CA should increase the Cap of each side and get more sponsorship for the better product.

If CA play this right they may be able to manipulate a scenario that allows BBL to be moved to it's very own time slot, outside of December and January.
All of February and a week or two of March sounds ideal.

That would leave first class cricket to support test cricket, at the time of the year that it should.
Have the first class final finished by end of January.

Its a TV game really so I can understand why they would want a say in scheduling, getting more sponsorship wont be easy to pay those big name players.
Agree BBL needs its own time slot, February for 3 weeks IMO....Aus are due to play a ODI series in India I think end of Feb/March, dont see CA being able to alter international fixturing too much.

Reply #2001
Not an expert in the field of test cricket but I always thought batting was about leaving the deliveries that are wide and swinging. Sri Lanka bowling poor line and picking up wickets easily. This is far from international standard batting by Australia. Far from it.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #2002
Called it two tests ago,  Khawaja lucky to be playing this test,  won't be going to England.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #2003
Called it two tests ago,  Khawaja lucky to be playing this test,  won't be going to England.

Even worse ProfE, we have selectors and coaches that keep making these selections!

We've a generation of cross bat hacks who can dominate T20 or ODI yet struggle at any venue that isn't dead flat and free of swing.

Not taking anything away from Fernando, the kid is not a bad bowler and I have no idea why Sri Lanka don't play him more, if only we have a few quicks who could keep a seam straight instead of bowling the "mystery ball!"

PS: I've worked out why they call it the mystery ball, because the bowlers have no idea of what they are doing it's all a mystery to them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2004
Even worse ProfE, we have selectors and coaches that keep making these selections!

We've a generation of cross bat hacks who can dominate T20 or ODI yet struggle at any venue that isn't dead flat and free of swing.

Not taking anything away from Fernando, the kid is not a bad bowler and I have no idea why Sri Lanka don't play him more, if only we have a few quicks who could keep a seam straight instead of bowling the "mystery ball!"

PS: I've worked out why they call it the mystery ball, because the bowlers have no idea of what they are doing it's all a mystery to them!

Sri Lanka like I keep saying are rubbish and this is their second string attack playing on a freeway, yep they swung the ball early but the average Joe(Burns) had the good sense to leave those wide deliveries alone and built an innings knowing the Lankans would be easy prey after 15 overs and the shine off the ball.....Harris and Khawaja chased wide harmless deliveries, the latter played a disinterested shot with his hand losing its grip on the bat and just doesnt seem too bothered about making runs this summer at all...this stuff with his brother seems to have messed his mind up and he cant focus at all.
Marnus is no 3 or 4 either and should bat around six with Patterson at 3..

Reply #2005
Burns and Head look to have cemented their spots in eleven for the next several years.  Although, with our selectors, they could both make way for the Marsh brothers next Test  ::)

Dean Jones has a campaign going to sack the selectors and he makes some interesting points in his most recent article

In April every year, selectors sit down in front of the CA board to present their vision, philosophies and policies for the upcoming year. I think it’s time for the newly appointed CEO Kevin Roberts to bring this meeting forward to next week.

Once Roberts has heard each selectors' point of view, he should thank them for their service to Australian cricket. Then his next job should be to start the search for two-three new selectors.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/selectors-are-the-biggest-problem-in-australian-cricket-20190124-p50tfk.html
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2006
Burns and Head look to have cemented their spots in eleven for the next several years.  Although, with our selectors, they could both make way for the Marsh brothers next Test  ::)

Dean Jones has a campaign going to sack the selectors and he makes some interesting points in his most recent article

Warner will play with either Burns or Harris as his partner. Harris looks a good player but always gets out to a $hit shot when going. Burn's experience playing at the Gabba, where it swings and seams, might help him in England.

Reply #2007
Bowling was she-it and the blokes made runs but were both dropped at critical times, for example,  Patterson first ball.  So not as enamoured of the batting as others... And Khawaja is taking the p!ss...bats like doesn't care.

Reply #2008
Bowling was she-it and the blokes made runs but were both dropped at critical times, for example,  Patterson first ball.  So not as enamoured of the batting as others... And Khawaja is taking the p!ss...bats like doesn't care.

Ditto.....like I said this is the Sr Lankan B grade attack and their A grade attack is about as potent as a maccas soft serve on a 40 degree day.....Burns played sensibly and good luck to him but
that attack on a friendly pitch is about as easy as its going to get anywhere in the world.
We need to be playing the better test nations at home and playing Aus A teams vs Sri Lanka, the Bangers etc.....

Reply #2009
First over is evidence that Starc is in the side on false pretenses.... Seam scrambled and zero control.