Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 11: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 16071 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 11: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #75
To be clear, I am not suggesting the two skippers are the cause of our problems, just stating that they are not above criticism.
Yes, it's a fair observation you made above.

I like what I'm seeing from Kennedy as well, he might not be a thoroughbred but he has some polish under pressure that quite a few of our "hot potato" types do not display.

We must be close to the #1 team for selling team-mates into trouble with hospital hand-passes!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
We had 17 F50 tackles, no frees. Eagles 5 F50 tackles for 3 frees and 2 goals.
That is an awful stat that I hope we bring up. Apparently We are talking with the Umps this week. Again.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #77
I'm not a big fan of all the SPS and sMurph bashing going around, they are being penalised for picking up the footy.

There is nothing they can do about it when the AFL rewards rock spiders and dry humpers, many of them 15cm taller and 15kg heavier than the little guy attacking the football!

When crowds return, I think "Humper ... Humper ... Humper" might be my new derogatory call for the gutless tacklers! They are like 100kg rat terriers that want to hump everything than passes within reach then steal the prize!

These big blokes aren't top predators like tigers or lions, they are more like a hyena, vulcer or bush pig, scavenging somebody else's hard work!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #78
I'm not a big fan of all the SPS and sMurph bashing going around, they are being penalised for picking up the footy.

There is nothing they can do about it when the AFL rewards rock spiders and dry humpers, many of them 15cm taller and 15kg heavier than the little guy attacking the football!

When crowds return, I think "Humper ... Humper ... Humper" might be my new derogatory call for the gutless tacklers! They are like 100kg rat terriers that want to hump everything than passes within reach then steal the prize!

These big blokes aren't top predators like tigers or lions, they are more like a hyena, vulcer or bush pig, scavenging somebody else's hard work!
SPS and Murphy cop it through inconsistent attack on the ball, player, and lack of intensity when the game is on the line.
The game is more contested than ever before, you can't carry players who won't  put the body on the line and pull up short in contests or hang back.
Size helps but Kade Simpson has shown its about attitude and wanting to risk all to win the ball. We also have too many nice boys who won't mongrel up when required..
We need a SPP not a SPS and a Brayden Maynard enforcer type who can provide that physical presence. I'm all for getting Zac Williams but without the other types I mentioned it will be more of the same with teams over powering and intimidating us.

Reply #79
Size helps but Kade Simpson has shown its about attitude and wanting to risk all to win the ball. We also have too many nice boys who won't mongrel up when required..
Sorry, I realise I'm potting somebody's hero.

But Simmo is a very very limited example, sure he is brave, goes hard at the footy, cleans up in one on ones a lot. But far far too often he does all that then delivers the ball straight back to the opposition 45m away, he is so predictable opponents read his disposal like a street map, and they then score via another avenue!

We need a SPP not a SPS and a Brayden Maynard enforcer type who can provide that physical presence. I'm all for getting Zac Williams but without the other types I mentioned it will be more of the same with teams over powering and intimidating us.
I think I'd be waiting to see what we get out of Stocker, Honey, Philp and Kemp before I blow my wad on an import.

@ElwoodBlues1  What did you think of Cottrell and De Koning?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/08/10/the-familiar-way-carlton-lose-and-how-they-can-fix-it/

Exactly what I said about the captains being onfield coaches/instructors to call changes to plays and structures when run of opo goals happen. This article gives the details for it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #83
SPS no doubt from time to time demonstrates that he is a very skilled player and can sometimes pull out a sublime disposal to a team mate in the clear. However, for the type of player he is, imo he just doesn't do that anywhere near often enough and as a result his impact on games is modest, i.e he has not yet shown himself to be capable of greatly influencing, at least in a positive way, the outcomes of games. May be it's because of the role he is currently playing. I would like to see him in a more "mission critical" role where he might have a much bigger impact in winning games and not floating around in defence and producing mostly non penetrating/damaging disposals from there.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #84
Sorry, I realise I'm potting somebody's hero.

But Simmo is a very very limited example, sure he is brave, goes hard at the footy, cleans up in one on ones a lot. But far far too often he does all that then delivers the ball straight back to the opposition 45m away, he is so predictable opponents read his disposal like a street map, and they then score via another avenue!
I think I'd be waiting to see what we get out of Stocker, Honey, Philp and Kemp before I blow my wad on an import.

@ElwoodBlues1  What did you think of Cottrell and De Koning?
None of those players are the physical nutters you need to make up the tapestry of a team, problem with getting those types is you need players who can actually play a bit as well as impose themselves.

re: DeKoning....very impressive as he has been everytime I see him, competed well vs Nicnat and has ability below his knees to get the ball and dish out a decent handball. Overhead marking wasnt easy for anyone so the couple he dropped were no big deal.
I'd be playing him for the remaining rounds......
re: Cottrell......seen him at U18 level and wasnt impressed but he did well and I liked the way he went after the footy, being lighter he got pushed off the ball but he got back up and had some good second efforts. Not bad skills by foot and from memory had Gaff as an opponent. I didnt think Gaff was that effective even though the stats suggest he had a good game so points to Cottrell for taking the edge off Gaffs game. Would play him next week for sure and give him another job, the one issue we probably have is that if you start playing too many players like Curnow, Cottrell who are really negative only types you can find yourself being ultra defensive and lacking flair but to be fair to the kid you can only do what the coach says and I reckon Teague would be pleased with his application.

Reply #86
The umpires are criminals, it wasn't just the holding the ball decisions, there was also the out on the full recall and the Curnow trip.
If you look at the age profile of the WCE midfield, Yeo 26, Gaff 28, Kelly 26, Shuey 30 Sheed 25, Naitanui 30, Redden 29 and Allen 21, to the Carlton midfield, Walsh 20, Cripps 25, Curnow 30, Murphy 33, Setterfield 22, Kennedy 23, Pittonet 24, DeKonning 21, other than Allen, the WCE players are all in their prime, while Murphy is towards the end and if he is replaced by Dow or Kemp,  then it easy to see that the Carlton midfield is two to three seasons from being in the elite and about four or five seasons away from being unstoppable.
If we had brought this effort last week against Hawthorn then we would have won by between five and ten goals. It was a good response to a very good team, in a hostile environment where things didn't go our way. I thought it was good that Betts was further up the ground this week enabling him to give his  leadership and experience to the team. Considering, Silvagni, Kreuzer, Newman and Charlie are out for the season, McKay, McGovern and Cuningham are injured and we lost Martin during the game, while Dow and Marchbank were coming back from injuries in the twos, it demonstrates we are starting to build depth in our squad.
I can follow Carlton when they have a go, but I can't if they don't try like last match.

Reply #87
Notice Geelong are "resting" Dangerfield from midfield duties by playing him deep forward. Should we do that with Cripps for a couple of weeks?

Reply #88
Notice Geelong are "resting" Dangerfield from midfield duties by playing him deep forward. Should we do that with Cripps for a couple of weeks?
Only problem is Danger hits the scoreboard, Cripps doesnt.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #89
Interesting “Access All Areas” on the AFL website today. Examines and compares 6 “holding the ball” scenarios that ALL went against Carlton. The only consistency was ruling against the Blues. Better not watch it Baggers because it will make your blood boil.