Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 11: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 15660 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 11: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #105
If its weight he needs to gain, I can train him in that area easily, this covid period has not been kind.

As long as the roof over the toolshed isn't blocking your line of sight...haha.

Reply #106
Don't mind this article. The one main issue, the 30pts shifts, as to why we aren't nicely entrenched in the 8.

One of them brought up the fact there is so few training sessions we don't get to work on slowing momentum shifts. We often can't train the whole side as a group. Big focus next year.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-greats-divided-over-immature-carltons-momentum-c-1227727?fbclid=IwAR1wvpLh_C_VMET-OLtd-AhBqYh45RURUb-aqcdz4NL11s5NnwG95psw2tg

Reply #107
Interesting stat.

Reply #108
:))  :)) I know that feeling... I just thought my feet were shrinking (when I looked down). Sweets cupboard has been nailed shut... exercise routine increased.
Same
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #109
Don't mind this article. The one main issue, the 30pts shifts, as to why we aren't nicely entrenched in the 8.

One of them brought up the fact there is so few training sessions we don't get to work on slowing momentum shifts. We often can't train the whole side as a group. Big focus next year.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-greats-divided-over-immature-carltons-momentum-c-1227727?fbclid=IwAR1wvpLh_C_VMET-OLtd-AhBqYh45RURUb-aqcdz4NL11s5NnwG95psw2tg
They make a lot of assumptions about what Teague and the players are thinking.

FWIW, I get the impression Teague was mostly fighting against our players not wanting to keep up the level of attack he wants, in that they are going into their shell a bit and that opens the door to the opponents to score without us firing a shot or answering the call. It sort of makes sense, a lot of our guys might still shell shocked from the events of the last few years.

I have no doubt the Carlton player head space is a huge issue, much bigger than overcoming any physical boundaries!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
Interesting stat.

Enough to make your blood boil. I trust Teague, Cain and Co. are drawing the AFL's attention to this stat... forcefully. It's not as if we don't get it in there often ...which makes the stat even more damning.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #111

Good piece, for mine it's the leadership thing... someone stands up, holds up play and takes charge - between the lugholes stuff. Should be a mantra - opposition score two in succession, we slow play until we answer with a major.

Reply #112
I think we have both a mental and physical issue at the moment. We appear to run out of legs a bit after our initial onslaught in games and this causes a loss of concentration and focus due to that fatigue. I suspect it is a result of not knowing how to control the pace of a game - when to let rip and and when to shut up shop for a while. May reflect a lack of on field nous/leadership which we have discussed before. If we could control the pace of games better I think we would generally perform better. Teams see us tiring and then hit us atm.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #113
Good piece, for mine it's the leadership thing... someone stands up, holds up play and takes charge - between the lugholes stuff. Should be a mantra - opposition score two in succession, we slow play until we answer with a major.

Hard bit too is not being able to train for it. Not many sessions with so many games and even then you can't train with your full squad often. There's things you can do like putting an extra behind the ball, a forward becoming and extra mid, slowing the game down, which we should do, but there's nothing like being able to properly develop that structure like 2nd nature at training. It's the one thing this year stopping is being properly entrenched in the 8.

Reply #114
I think we have both a mental and physical issue at the moment. We appear to run out of legs a bit after our initial onslaught in games and this causes a loss of concentration and focus due to that fatigue. I suspect it is a result of not knowing how to control the pace of a game - when to let rip and and when to shut up shop for a while. May reflect a lack of on field nous/leadership which we have discussed before. If we could control the pace of games better I think we would generally perform better. Teams see us tiring and then hit us atm.
Agree...our captains are good footballers but inexperienced captains, a player like Hodge would have slowed the game, and positioned his troops in our close games. The two years he had at Brisbane are paying off now I reckon and they now how to both rally when headed and close off games better than we do.

Reply #115
I think we have both a mental and physical issue at the moment. We appear to run out of legs a bit after our initial onslaught in games and this causes a loss of concentration and focus due to that fatigue.
The media put that very question to Teague a few weeks back and he said outright that fitness wasn't an issue at all and we had plenty of fitness to run games out. In effect he was adamant it was a mindset issue.

May reflect a lack of on field nous/leadership which we have discussed before. If we could control the pace of games better I think we would generally perform better.
I agree about his, the inability to control the pace, but I'm not convinced it is fitness / fatigue related due to the reasons given above.

We do have an issue with leg-speed, we aren't demonstrating that we are fast enough to chase down, and we aren't big or strong enough to lock in. Maybe the MC has a part to play in this regard to get the balance right.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #116
@LP
Teague may have said that LP, but from my seat, admittedly on the couch, they looked like they tired to me and then lost focus.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #117
Yep, this is whats giving me the absolute craps. Its a pandemic, its not once or twice, 14 farken games out of 21!!! WTF.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #118
Yep, this is whats giving me the absolute craps. Its a pandemic, its not once or twice, 14 farken games out of 21!!! WTF.

Yep, aint fckn rocket science.

Reply #119
Agree...our captains are good footballers but inexperienced captains, a player like Hodge would have slowed the game, and positioned his troops in our close games. The two years he had at Brisbane are paying off now I reckon and they now how to both rally when headed and close off games better than we do.
I remember reading once that when Hodgy spoke, people listened. He would go to the centre bounce after the opo got a bit of a run and say "we get the next goal" and the teamates knew it was non negotiable. That comes with experience and a strong culture.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th