Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 List Changes (Read 18880 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2019 List Changes

Reply #75
Looks like Lucas Rios’s is following her gf out the door

Following or thrown?

Tilly was no longer a staple of the team. She was in and out of the side and is starting to be shown up from her lack of pace.

Reply #76
Second signing period has already begun and will end on sunday.

Draft order has been 'updated' after throwing in some priority/compo picks.

...and the first trade has already gone through.

Richmond (somehow) were awarded pick 1 (despite recruited well with Traub and Brennan in comparison to Saints who got.....???) and have since on-traded that pick for soon to be 20yo Monique Conti aka BOG on GF, AA, and B+F winner from the dogs.

Dogs getting pillaged from Tigers.

So now, updated first round sees pies with pick 2 and still a long way off in any davey trade.

Updated draft order
1. Western Bulldogs (via Richmond)

2. Collingwood

3. Brisbane Lions

4. GWS Giants

5. St Kilda (priority selection)

6. Western Bulldogs

7. Richmond (priority selection)

8. Melbourne

9. St Kilda (priority selection)

10. North Melbourne

11. Geelong Cats

12. Fremantle

13. Carlton

14. Adelaide Crows

15. Brisbane Lions (via St Kilda, Kate McCarthy trade)

16. Brisbane Lions (via Richmond, Sabrina Frederick trade)

17. Brisbane Lions (via West Coast, McKenzie Dowrick trade)

18. Gold Coast Suns

Reply #77
Following or thrown?

Tilly was no longer a staple of the team. She was in and out of the side and is starting to be shown up from her lack of pace.

I think that Tilly is typical of many players from the initial teamlists in that she has been overtaken by younger, bigger, faster, stronger and more skilful players.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #78
Officially gone is Tilly.

Also surprise retirement announcement from Mullane.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-04-25/three-blues-depart
CARLTON midfielder Amelia Mullane has made the decision to retire from AFLW.

Mullane joined the club from Collingwood for AFLW 3.0 and played all nine matches including the Club’s maiden AFLW Grand Final.

The strong-bodied inside midfielder was renowned for her defensive pressure during her time in the Navy Blue, averaging more than five tackles per match.

The Club can also confirm that Tilly Lucas-Rodd and Courtney Webb will not have their contracts renewed.

Reply #79
If Davey doesnt want to be here or wants to sook up, she can fark off to Collingwood or anywhere else AFAIC no great loss. The Club is bigger than the individual, there is no better example than Buddy. Hawks went on to win 2 flags and he has got squat at the Swans (apart from the $10M). These prima donnas too often lose site of the big picture. I do understand the crazy money offers that come, not all of us are driven by the $$$.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #80
Officially gone is Tilly.

Also surprise retirement announcement from Mullane.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-04-25/three-blues-depart
I am a bit surprised about Mullane, who not only played solidly, but moved deliberately to be coached by Harf. But work pressures in the medical profession can be considerable.

Tilly was a fair bet once Davey decided to leave.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #81
Really have to play it cool with Davey. Pies need to pay up.
Tiges set the standard by giving pick 1 for Conti.
You’d think pick 2 + something would be the minimum for a player of Davey’s calibre.
No big loss with Tilly.
Mullane was pretty good though.

Reply #82
Really have to play it cool with Davey. Pies need to pay up.
Tiges set the standard by giving pick 1 for Conti.
You’d think pick 2 + something would be the minimum for a player of Davey’s calibre.
No big loss with Tilly.
Mullane was pretty good though.
Doesnt she just walk if a deal cant get done as she is uncontracted? (not sure of the AFLW rules in this).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #83
Yes, she can walk - but into the draft where the Bulldogs would surely take her.  I don't think there is any ability to name your price in this instance.

I think Tilly is more of a loss then most reckon, but  I suppose time will tell.

Discussion with MLG at open training on Friday he told my daughter we had signed up the bulk of the squad, Davey was gone and he couldn't say (clarified that this meant he did not know) about Tilly specifically.  His words were "if you don't want to play at this club then we don't want you".

Reply #84
Yes, she can walk - but into the draft where the Bulldogs would surely take her.  I don't think there is any ability to name your price in this instance.

I think Tilly is more of a loss then most reckon, but  I suppose time will tell.

Discussion with MLG at open training on Friday he told my daughter we had signed up the bulk of the squad, Davey was gone and he couldn't say (clarified that this meant he did not know) about Tilly specifically. His words were "if you don't want to play at this club then we don't want you".

And damn fine words they are!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
So today is the last day of the 2nd 'sign and trade period'

Today also opens up the first day of the free agency signings which will continue until April 30.

Still waiting on Bri Davey trade.

No real details on how free agency actually works in the AFLW, but what is to stop Collingwood saying they will not trade for Bri Davey, and then signing her as a free agent. Basically getting her for nothing.

We might get a decent compensation pick for losing her, but Pies wouldn't have to give anything up to get her (if FA works like the mens).

Reply #86
So today is the last day of the 2nd 'sign and trade period'

Today also opens up the first day of the free agency signings which will continue until April 30.

Still waiting on Bri Davey trade.

No real details on how free agency actually works in the AFLW, but what is to stop Collingwood saying they will not trade for Bri Davey, and then signing her as a free agent. Basically getting her for nothing.

We might get a decent compensation pick for losing her, but Pies wouldn't have to give anything up to get her (if FA works like the mens).

Does that depend on the expiry date of the standard contracts? In AFL that is after the trade period, but before the PSD, and as pointed out the Filth do not have the first picks. So I suppose an expansion club could we make a play.

It would be a smart move by use to drum up some 3rd party interest.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #87
Does that depend on the expiry date of the standard contracts? In AFL that is after the trade period, but before the PSD, and as pointed out the Filth do not have the first picks. So I suppose an expansion club could we make a play.

It would be a smart move by use to drum up some 3rd party interest.

The AFL are making the rules up as they go.

There is no AFLW CBA that i can find which would highlight all the fine print.

I don't think a 3rd party would change anything. Bri wants to go where she wants to go. Currently there is only 1 team (dogs) that have a pick above the pies in the ND (no PSD here) and would the dogs waste it on a player that will probably walk at years end anyway?

Reply #88
Wasn't there some noise last year about AFLW 1st Rnd picks being bound to a club for at least two years, like the AFL draftees?

I appreciate being semi-pro has an impact on the rules so I understand why the AFL must remain flexible, as long as it is consistent and transparent. God help us! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #89
Wasn't there some noise last year about AFLW 1st Rnd picks being bound to a club for at least two years, like the AFL draftees?

I appreciate being semi-pro has an impact on the rules so I understand why the AFL must remain flexible, as long as it is consistent and transparent. God help us! ::)

Signing for 2 years has only just been allowed in the past 2 weeks. So whatever noise there was, went away. Pretty sure expansion clubs (the next lot not in yet) wouldn't allow that either.