Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 76272 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #1
If it truly is a full reset and a clean slate then players should vote on a new captain. I get the feeling Kerridge could be a candidate unless we go short time like Simpson until Cripps has another year of footy into him.

We really need the U23s to drive the leadership so maybe one of them needs to be named Captain.

Reply #2
Murphy grew into the role as the season went on, but he really struggled with it to start with. After Malthouse left, Murphy came good and provided some decent on field leadership.
In a year or 2 I would like to see Cripps with the captaincy, but it is a little early to burden him with that as well. I am not sure who else is ready for the job.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Murphy grew into the role as the season went on, but he really struggled with it to start with. After Malthouse left, Murphy came good and provided some decent on field leadership.
In a year or 2 I would like to see Cripps with the captaincy, but it is a little early to burden him with that as well. I am not sure who else is ready for the job.

It is early for Cripps but he is now the face of the club and we all know he will get the job sooner than later...do we get a fill in for a year or two or do
we do a Kernahan and give him the job now?

Reply #4
I reckon we just stick with Murphy for another couple of seasons until Cripps matures a little. Aside from Simpson and Jamo who are both nearing the ends of their careers, there aren't any other legitimate candidates.

Reply #5
It is early for Cripps but he is now the face of the club and we all know he will get the job sooner than later...do we get a fill in for a year or two or do
we do a Kernahan and give him the job now?

Melbourne tried that with Trengove and Grimes, dismal failure. The responsibilities of being captain these days are vastly different than they were when Sticks took over. Let the kid continue to develop without over burdening him. A change of Captain isn't going to change our fortunes. Cripps can still be an on field leader without all the rubbing that comes with being Captain.

Reply #6
If it truly is a full reset and a clean slate then players should vote on a new captain. I get the feeling Kerridge could be a candidate unless we go short time like Simpson until Cripps has another year of footy into him.

We really need the U23s to drive the leadership so maybe one of them needs to be named Captain.

Love your work usually Milkit but seriously WTF.

Crazy to take it from Murphy now and put the pressure on Cripps and there is literally no one else, maybe just Docherty. Let Murph have it for at last another year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #7
Simon White
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #8
I know its a conspiracy theory but not part of a plan to trade Murphy next season for more picks....taking the captains role away wont make him feel wanted and he might want out and field some offers..

Kruezer would be another candidate and might mean Cripps if VC gets to captain the team by default if MK's injury record continues....

Reply #9
Where would that leave Murphy? The captaincy was basically the carrot we used to keep him.

Reply #11
I reckon Simmo deserves a shot, although I doubt he'll get it.
Giving it to Gibbs might see him step up in responsibility and performance, it might shut up talk about him being traded too!
It's too early to give it to Cripps.
Docherty is the other serious option I would consider.
Other wise it probably stays with Murph.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #13
I personally have no issue with Cripps taking it over. Already the best player on the list and seems level headed enough to lead and develop. Could have it for 10 years no problem.

Reply #14
There is nothing wrong with a complete review of operations, it keeps everyone honest. Even if they don't end up getting a slot, it still tells the players they are valued and recognised as being a leader within the club.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"