Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 79659 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #300
It would be nice if one or more of our 200cm/100kg brigade stepped up as a leader.

I suppose the club can only call it as they see it, in the past many of our 200cm types are more likely to shrink under the spotlight rather than turn into the next Tom Jones! We need some extroverted complete bastards like Hodge, Roughead and Lewis!

Early signs are Cripps might have the mean streak, and the new kid McKay has shown some signs as well. CurnowV2 appears to be the adventurous type, perhaps he'll develop some verbosity!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #303
Is this thread about Robbo?

MITCH Robinson’s remarkable rise from scrapheap to skipper has continued.

The one-time Carlton wildchild all but had a black line through his name after being delisted by the Blues at the end of 2014.

But now there will be a (c) next to his name after he was appointed Brisbane captain for Sunday’s NAB Challenge game against Gold Coast at Burpengary.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #304
That would never have happened at Carlton. Not sure if that says more about us or them....

Reply #305
That would never have happened at Carlton. Not sure if that says more about us or them....

Robbo would have been more than happy to remain as just a foot soldier with us.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #306
Tell porkies, you pay a price. Simple.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #308
I think we cannot seperate our action from this result.

We effectively sacked Mitch without recourse.

He has responded to that admirably.  He worked his behind off last pre season.  Came back in rip snorting form.  Had a great individual season even though his team was rubbish, and ended up B+F for it.

He has now earned the opportunity to captain his side.

Whilst Mitch never really gave us any issues to worry about on field (aside from his blaze away style) we saw reason enough to sack him.

As much as Im dissapointed, we have to believe the club had its best intentions at heart when doing this, particularly when we see the current outcomes with Yarran and Menzel and that his sacking laid the foundation for other things to occur.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #309
I think we cannot seperate our action from this result.

We effectively sacked Mitch without recourse.

He has responded to that admirably.  He worked his behind off last pre season.  Came back in rip snorting form.  Had a great individual season even though his team was rubbish, and ended up B+F for it.

He has now earned the opportunity to captain his side.

Whilst Mitch never really gave us any issues to worry about on field (aside from his blaze away style) we saw reason enough to sack him.

As much as Im dissapointed, we have to believe the club had its best intentions at heart when doing this, particularly when we see the current outcomes with Yarran and Menzel and that his sacking laid the foundation for other things to occur.

The only nagging doubt I have is that we took the easy option and perhaps our football followed the same path.  The fact that he is captaining Brisbane suggests that he wasn't a lost cause.

He has his faults but I wouldn't mind having him on our list.

Good luck to him. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #310
The only nagging doubt I have is that we took the easy option and perhaps our football followed the same path.  The fact that he is captaining Brisbane suggests that he wasn't a lost cause.

Good luck to him.

Pretty much agree.

Reply #311

Good luck to him.

Of course, but the age old adage rings true.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

Just like Yarran, there was every chance for it to be the status quo with us.  We decided to cut our losses and move on, and frankly given where our list was at, that was possibly a harder decision to make than cutting loose Yarran was given we had well and truly embraced a rebuild by the time we cut ways with Yarran.

Paul Hewson

Reply #312
Of course, but the age old adage rings true.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

Just like Yarran, there was every chance for it to be the status quo with us.  We decided to cut our losses and move on, and frankly given where our list was at, that was possibly a harder decision to make than cutting loose Yarran was given we had well and truly embraced a rebuild by the time we cut ways with Yarran.

Would you have Robinson back if he was available for a reasonable price, he's only 26?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #313
Would you have Robinson back if he was available for a reasonable price, he's only 26?

No. 

While I would have preferred to have kept him, there's too much water under the bridge now and I reckon he'd struggle to get a game now.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #314

Nope moved on and left him behind. 

Crippa is the one we should be looking to build around.

Paul Hewson