Skip to main content
Topic: Star Wars - SPOILERS (Read 9945 times) previous topic - next topic

Star Wars - SPOILERS

I can't believe, given the age demographic of the site, that there has been no comment about it yet?

Saw it last night with my eldest son (7) proud Dad moment, and it was awesome.

I can't understand the negative comments about it, the plot has some holes and it will never win Academy Awards for its acting but it was a fun story in the vein of the first three movies.

Re: Star Wars - SPOILERS

Reply #1
The Jabberwocky did it!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
Didn't read a thing about it going into it, just saw a couple of trailers.

Thought it was awesome.

Rewatched the other 6 in the month leading up to it to refresh (god the prequels suck!) and was happy with the nods to them throughout.

Liked BB8, thought the new bad guy sucked but thought Rey was really good.

Which yields the question, who does everyone think she is actually related too. Lots of speculation about that with no real consensus.

Reply #3
Which yields the question, who does everyone think she is actually related too. Lots of speculation about that with no real consensus.

Has to be Lukes daughter.

I liked Kylo Ren, bad guy. I thought his petulance balanced against his even tone when speaking showed a character who wanted to be more than he was capable of. I liked the nod to Ep 4 with Ren killing Han Solo, trying to become the new Darth Vader. I loved the humour, although with Harrison Ford gone this will be harder to find. I liked Daisy Ridler and Oscar Isaacs characters. John Boyega as Finn didn't grab me but wasn't terrible and Snoke, I can see as a bit of Wizard of Oz, I expect he will be rather small when he's seen live. 

Reply #4
I can't believe, given the age demographic of the site, that there has been no comment about it yet?

Saw it last night with my eldest son (7) proud Dad moment, and it was awesome.

I can't understand the negative comments about it, the plot has some holes and it will never win Academy Awards for its acting but it was a fun story in the vein of the first three movies.

SPOILERS A PLENTY!!
There's one criticism, it wasn't just in the vein of  the first movie, it was almost a re-boot.

Sorry Raydan, I was very disappointed. After the first half of the movie it was dull, derivative and soppy.

It was like they sat down before they wrote the script and said "what made the very first movie great?" and then just copied it. Masked evil baddy, oversized hologram evil master, planet busting weapon, cute droid with a secret message, hero from a wasteland planet who can't wait to get away. Yawn-o-thon.

....and don't get me started on the oldies. Harrison was good for 10 minutes but screw me I was happy when he got kebabbed and Leia was just awful, cringe worthy.

I thought the performance of the young woman who played Rey was good. A few laughs here and there but like I said, after the first half I didn't see much I liked.

Pity, was expecting more from Abrams after he did such a super job fixing up Star Trek. He went safe and it shows.

Hopefully he'll get the next one right.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #5
Han Solo dies! :o :( :'(

Reply #6
SPOILER ALERT LODSIE!!
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #7
I must be the only person, in Australia at least, who has never seen any of the Star Wars movies. If I wanted to see this latest one I guess I'd have to catch up with all of the others first in order to make any sense of it. That's a bit off-putting in terms of the amount of time involved. I feel quite inadequate at gatherings, last Boxing Day for instance, when the conversation turns to Star Wars and I'm unable to get involved.  :-\

Reply #8
I must be the only person, in Australia at least, who has never seen any of the Star Wars movies. If I wanted to see this latest one I guess I'd have to catch up with all of the others first in order to make any sense of it. That's a bit off-putting in terms of the amount of time involved. I feel quite inadequate at gatherings, last Boxing Day for instance, when the conversation turns to Star Wars and I'm unable to get involved.  :-\
I'm with you cookie, saw the first many years ago and haven't been back since. Not sure what all the hype is about but I'm getting by pretty well without it, I'm sure you are as well!
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #9

SPOILERS A PLENTY!!
There's one criticism, it wasn't just in the vein of  the first movie, it was almost a re-boot.

Sorry Raydan, I was very disappointed. After the first half of the movie it was dull, derivate and soppy.

It was like they sat down before they wrote the script and said "what made the very first movie great?" and then just copied it. Masked evil baddy, oversized hologram evil master, planet busting weapon, cute droid with a secret message, hero from a wasteland planet who can't wait to get away. Yawn-o-thon.

....and don't get me started on the oldies. Harrison was good for 10 minutes but screw me I was happy when he got kebabbed and Leia was just awful, cringe worthy.

I thought the performance of the young woman who played Rey was good. A few laughs here and there but like I said, after the first half I didn't see much I liked.

Pity, was expecting more from Abrams after he did such a super job fixing up Star Trek. He went safe and it shows.

Hopefully he'll get the next one right.

I think he had to go safe after the prequel disaster. This was a reset for the next 2 movies IMO. It developed another triangle of good guys, it set up a villian, who has a big backstory to tell. Snoke will train Ren and Luke will train Rey for a massive battle in ep 9. Star Wars needed a big name to right the ship and got it with Abrams.

You didn't like the end? I thought the no talking, just handing the light sabre said more than any dialogue. Granted the Starkiller base was predictable as were a couple of other parts, but what a lot of people forget is that Star Wars is a family film

Reply #10
I'm with you cookie, saw the first many years ago and haven't been back since. Not sure what all the hype is about but I'm getting by pretty well without it, I'm sure you are as well!

Right there with you mate!  ;)

Reply #12
Has to be Lukes daughter.

Either that or Rey is Kylo rens twin....again, a copy from the originals.

Also there was some star wars merch which advertised Finn as being Lando's son. Not sure how true any of that is though.

Reply #13
I think it's too obvious for her to be Luke's daughter. Reading the star wars geek forums and they are leaning to her being related to Obi-Wan, perhaps his granddaughter.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #14
Wonder how much Mark Hamill got paid for that! I mean the number of words he had to learn....
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time