Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 11: Pre Game Patter: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 27746 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 11: Pre Game Patter: Carlton vs Brisbane

I'm going to the game again! Sei danket Gott! I have suffered terribly, missing 2 games I would usually be at with bells on.
Brisbane: played well for 3 quarters before capitulating totally. But they beaten us larely and I don't like it. Robbo has been trying to stir up the hatred and his form has been good.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 11: Pre Game Patter: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #1
Only problem I see is one we suffered from last week: do we have enough fit guys left to win?
We have had a couple of soooo gutsy wins this year, but, fair dinkum, we pay a price for them. I hope some of those guys can come up next week!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
True we have been paying dearly for those wins, but isn't that what the pinnacle of a sport is all about?

I also think Bolton's team selection really says something, the requirement to bring your A game in terms of effort is uncompromising. He doesn't punish errors, but he smashes a lack of effort!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
We don't play too well on six day breaks.
Well Murphy and Sumner will have seven day breaks - but can see this one being a struggle.. the boys give so much effort that six day break doesn't seem to be enough against a team on an extra day break.

Maybe rotate some players next week.. Sumner, Murphy, Graham, Jaksch, Buckley hoping will play

Reply #4
We don't play too well on six day breaks.
Well Murphy and Sumner will have seven day breaks - but can see this one being a struggle.. the boys give so much effort that six day break doesn't seem to be enough against a team on an extra day break.

Maybe rotate some players next week.. Sumner, Murphy, Graham, Jaksch, Buckley hoping will play

You can't drop anyone after that effort. If anyone misses it'll be because of injury, not 'rotations'.

Reply #5
Gorringe may be stiff but I'm thinking Casboult will be ready to resume ruck duties. Jaksch maybe in this week to play key forward. As bad luck as it would be for Gorringe it would be a better balanced side.

Any other changes would be forced. Hopefully not.

Reply #7
Gorringe may be stiff but I'm thinking Casboult will be ready to resume ruck duties. Jaksch maybe in this week to play key forward. As bad luck as it would be for Gorringe it would be a better balanced side.

Any other changes would be forced. Hopefully not.

Laj go easy, your obsessed with Casboult rucking.

Why the feck would we play the AFL's current most feared contested mark in a position that puts a bruised tibia at even greater risk?

BTW, Gorringe's mobility looked pretty good today, while his attack at the ball wasn't as good the end result was better than Jones was able to offer. I hope Jones was watching for the next time he gets a crack! I like the current setup, it lets Kreuzer stay around the ball longer and takes some stoppage pressure off Cripps. Kreuzer 11 tackles, and Casboult busting packs, that is what we want to see.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Laj go easy, your obsessed with Casboult rucking.

Why the feck would we play the AFL's current most feared contested mark in a position that puts a bruised tibia at even greater risk?

BTW, Gorringe's mobility looked pretty good today, while his attack at the ball wasn't as good the end result was better than Jones was able to offer. I hope Jones was watching for the next time he gets a crack! I like the current setup, it lets Kreuzer stay around the ball longer and takes some stoppage pressure off Cripps. Kreuzer 11 tackles, and Casboult busting packs, that is what we want to see.
What he said. I was a massive critic of Gorringe last week, my mate at the footy today said "give the guy a go ffs". Perhaps he's right, perhaps his confidence will grow and he will be ok. Lets give him a decent crack to show us what he's got. The structure looked really good today. Even 2 blokes down, we beat a very much more fancied opponent (albeit who a get a free ride from the umps and home ground advantage at KP).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
We've seen from our perspective what a toxic environment does to players, way too often for my liking.

Gorringe has come out of what looks to be a pretty toxic environment, he may just need a little time to gain some confidence to set himself free. Today Casboult had 1AW and Everitt in form and Gorringe floating forward, it sets him free and makes our opposition second guess where the ball will go.

Gorringe moved OK, got to positions that forced Geelong to respect him even if he didn't get on the end of many. Maybe we lost out in the ruck, but the extra time SpecialK got to stay in there made up for it. As much as I liked Phillips form pre-hammy, I thought todays setup worked better against a Geelong side that lacked an experienced ruck option. For half a game they had to use Blicsavs as a tagger!

It may be that against say a Norp, Swans or Wet Toast well go with Kreuzer and Phillips combo to keep them honest. But today we could back SpecialK in and have Gorringe draw some forward heat.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Possibly Murph may need a rest depending on how he pulls up and we should bring in Grahame who's been playing well in the NBs?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #11
Possibly Murph may need a rest depending on how he pulls up and we should bring in Grahame who's been playing well in the NBs?

With the NBs having a bye it will be interesting, I bet Buckley is spewing now about that suspension! ;)

They said Byrne was "Omitted" but I suspect he was sore, perhaps he comes in for either Murphy or Sumner.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
With the NBs having a bye it will be interesting, I bet Buckley is spewing now about that suspension! ;)

They said Byrne was "Omitted" but I suspect he was sore, perhaps he comes in for either Murphy or Sumner.
Corked calf
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #13
We've seen from our perspective what a toxic environment does to players, way too often for my liking.

Gorringe has come out of what looks to be a pretty toxic environment, he may just need a little time to gain some confidence to set himself free. Today Casboult had 1AW and Everitt in form and Gorringe floating forward, it sets him free and makes our opposition second guess where the ball will go.

Gorringe moved OK, got to positions that forced Geelong to respect him even if he didn't get on the end of many. Maybe we lost out in the ruck, but the extra time SpecialK got to stay in there made up for it. As much as I liked Phillips form pre-hammy, I thought todays setup worked better against a Geelong side that lacked an experienced ruck option. For half a game they had to use Blicsavs as a tagger!

It may be that against say a Norp, Swans or Wet Toast well go with Kreuzer and Phillips combo to keep them honest. But today we could back SpecialK in and have Gorringe draw some forward heat.

They say Gorringe is a great runner.....thought he did very well.

Phillips will come back through the 2s in any event after that time on the sidelines?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #14
Rockliff the only notable inclusion?

Player   Injury   Estimated Return
Harris Andrews   Foot   2 weeks
Dayne Beams   Knee   Indefinite
Hugh Beasley   Back   2 weeks
Rohan Bewick   Groin   Test
Michael Close   Wrist and foot   2 weeks
Tom Cutler   Shoulder   Test
Cian Hanley   Groin   Indefinite
Jaden McGrath   Foot   Indefinite
Tom Rockliff   Hamstring   1 week
Sam Skinner*   Knee   2 weeks
Updated: Thursday, May 26

From 5 Talking Points:

5. Is the West-Martin partnership working?
Trent West has now played the past two matches working in partnership with Stefan Martin. Martin was noticeably quiet against the Hawks, finishing with just seven touches, while West had eight. In comparison, the Hawthorn Ceglar-McEvoy combination had a total of 29 disposals and three goals. Martin seemed frustrated at times playing in the forward 50, and with West more of a tap ruckman, rather than being dominant around the ground, it remains to be seen whether the duo is an effective partnership. With Carlton coming up next week, it will be interesting to see if Justin Leppitsch pursues with playing the two together.
Finals, then 4 in a row!