Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 - What do you expect from the club? (Read 45130 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 - What do you expect from the club?

So I asked this last year and tried to create it as a thread different from 'predictions'. I am not so sure that worked out well.

So in general, be it gameplay, results etc.. What do you as a support of our football club expect from the club this year?

For me

It is no surprise that I was behind a full rebuild last year. I wanted it to far exceed what happened and part of that puzzle did finally happen this year, with a very good footballer in Bryce leaving and our age profile lowering. To me though this doesn't drastically alter what I expect of a football club. You don't sign up to follow teams with the agreement they can non be competitive for too long. If Carlton had gone real hard last year and traded all their elder players i would have give this year as their last pass. But now I EXPECT and DEMAND results from the football club. That is not so say they have failed me to date, but Carlton has to now be relevant in terms of winning football games. We can't have every win an 'upset' win.

I need Carlton to be finishing 10th or higher this year and to do so with about 8-10 wins. I also need our percentage to be higher than in previous years by quite a long way and I need to see at least a handful of games where we show that we can put 100 points on the scoreboard.

If we want to entice a big talent in next years Free Agency, then we need to be on the verge of something. We need to be able to sell 3 things. The club, the results & of course in Free Agency the money. We want Wines or Lynch or the likes.... Then we need to show they are not here as the savior, they are joining a genuinely exciting organisation.

Anything less than these results for me and we need to be questioning if we have the right people in charge, at all levels of the club (well perhaps excluding SOS who is killing it).

Oh and I EXPECT to see a functioning forward line this year

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Re: 2018 - What do you expect from the club?

Reply #1
With some good experience from 2017 our guys will win more of those close games. As we already take the game up to almost everyone, I would not be surprised if we beat more top 8 contenders. With Gibbs gone, we WILL be underestimated.
We will be especially competitive if Kreuzer can have a year like he did in 2017. He isn't the best tap ruckman in the business, but his ability to compete and to cancel out the opposing ruckman allowed our mids to have a much better chance of getting the pill. If we pick our team carefully and have Lobbe and/or Phillips stand up, we should not often be beaten in that area.

I hope to see continued improvement from our young guys. Hopefully they can start getting some top quality scalps in 2018.

Our attack SHOULD be improved, but what I really want to see is more system in our forward moves and more from our small forwards.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
We will be especially competitive if Kreuzer can have a year like he did in 2017. He isn't the best tap ruckman in the business, but his ability to compete and to cancel out the opposing ruckman allowed our mids to have a much better chance of getting the pill. If we pick our team carefully and have Lobbe and/or Phillips stand up, we should not often be beaten in that area.

It's a lot on the shoulders of one or two, the opponents will not miss this fact!

We have some mysteries on hand, what of Jones, McKay, Kerr and Weitering for 2018?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
I expect we will get beaten consistently and often comprehensively in the midfield. Our defense will try hard and stand up, but will be overrun most weeks. Our forwards will be starved of opportunity, and will often be found on the half back line to get a kick. 4-6 wins

Reply #4
We were probably heading for an 8+ wins year but as we lost experienced &/or first 22 personnel through injury -- Cripps, E Curnow, ACOS, Rowe, Phillips, Byrne, White -- much flexibility was lost which put an increased burden on the shoulders of remaining experienced blokes (who stood up brilliantly) and kids/depth players. Jones was a revelation and without his contribution I believe we would have finished with at least 1 more loss.

So my W/L expectations fall into two categories:

1. With a reasonable or better run with injuries I believe we'll win 9-12. 2. If we have another year of injuries similar to this, then it'll be 6-8.

I expect the Board to invest in a team building / 360 degree feedback workshop to sort out the factions/cOckheads and finally become united. If you cannot get buy-in from any individual on the Board, re doing something about the disunity, then p1ss that individual off.

If Rooter Lethlean becomes our CEO then I expect him to maintain a low profile and strengthen the club's financial coffers, considerably... and not to go fishing off the company pier.

And finally, a much better %.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #5
We will be younger again, we only have Murphy, Kruezer, Simpson, Jones, Docherty, Casboult & E Curnow as first 22 who are 23 and under, this is the last year of the 66 game rebuild that was originally stated, when Bolton started. Two more drafts to add to the already promising block of talent we have built.

Kennedy comes in and gives immediate assistance to Cripps, Lang offer another good ball user further up the ground but both are still very young. We will get natural improvement from our recent draftees and trades, who should have figured out their bodies by now, half the team will hit the track when we start training with the 1-4 years starting a week ahead.

This looks great for the future but 2018 I doubt will see much improvement, the only increase up the ladder will come from other teams who can't make the 8 tanking to improve their draft position in a stacked draft. Look for North to try and finish bottom as they have a Tassie acadamy player in Tarryn Thomas who has already played in the TFL premiership and is a gun, if they get pick 1 the Thomas should go around the 5 mark and they will get him for a song too.

7 wins

Reply #6
We are looking at groundhog day for 2018.

Competitive, will lose more than we win, be in the middle six at best and could sneak finals but will just lack that bit of class to make finals.  9-12 is where we'll finish unless we really develope well this off season.

We had a good run of injury this year and traditionally players that have struggled played well. We won't get that lucky again IMHO.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #7
I'll wait till the pre season games and see the game plan/style we are playing before working out where we will finish...unless we stop putting 7 men down back
and play a proper forward line we will continue to struggle to kick goals and the wins wont happen..

Reply #8
Led 7 times in last qtrs and lost this years. Means we don't nees alot of improvement to finishing 8th. I'll go 8-11th.

Reply #9
I thought we'd go about 9-12 last year.
I was told it was too soon but we'd make significant progress in 2018.
So I'm expecting significant progress. ;)

9-12 on the ladder
9+ wins
95+ percentage

Reply #10

Finish 10-11-12.
9 wins.
Higher scores. 2 or 3 100+ pointers would be nice.

A better functioning attack. Levi improved last season. If he can do that again in 2018 it will be a great help.
Some natural from Jimprovement Jack, Charlie, Pickett, Sammo etc. can be expected too.

I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #11
The departure of Gibbs will be a challenge for us early on but I think BB can rally the troops and get the younger guys to step up. Hoping to see our overall skills, tackling and ball movement improve to get us 3 or 4 more wins and our players growing in confidence.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #12
I'll wait till the pre season games and see the game plan/style we are playing before working out where we will finish...unless we stop putting 7 men down back
and play a proper forward line we will continue to struggle to kick goals and the wins wont happen..
Spot on. Unless we find a way to hurt other teams on the scoreboard when we have the ascendancy then we will continue to struggle to win.
We haven’t done anything yet personnel wise to improve our scoring - we appear to be banking on natural improvement, which is what 17 other teams are also doing.

Reply #13
Spot on. Unless we find a way to hurt other teams on the scoreboard when we have the ascendancy then we will continue to struggle to win.
We haven’t done anything yet personnel wise to improve our scoring - we appear to be banking on natural improvement, which is what 17 other teams are also doing.
There is more room for natural improvement with our list than just about any other team, though.

Curnow, SPS, Marchbank, Fisher, Williamson, Pickett, Cuningham have all now played a clutch of games and the upside there is enormous. And I am genuinely hopeful this group will improve our scoring options significantly.

Throw in some probable growth in Kennedy and Lang, and #3 in the draft and there is serious optimism.

If McKay and/or Kerr can click as well, and Levi keeps kicking straight, we will trouble plenty of sides.  I know GIbbs is a loss, but with that comes the opportunity for others to step up.

It may not show on the W-L ratio, but if we can be in as many games as we were last year, this time we will win more.

A lot of ifs, but 10 wins is not out of the question.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #14
The expectations on McKay and Kerr are interesting. McKay played 1 game last year and had very little impact. I'm really hoping he can come on as a player this year as that would make a huge difference for us, but I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think that will happen. I've only seen a little of Kerr (much less that some others on here), but what I've seen doesn't make me think he'll have significant impact at AFL level in 2018. If one or both of these guys can becomea regular dangerous forward that would help enormously (assuming we can get the ball in there quickly and often enough), but I think we'll be relying on Casboult, C Curnow and Wright to kick the majority of our goals this year