Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 - What do you expect from the club? (Read 45619 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 - What do you expect from the club?

Reply #15
There is more room for natural improvement with our list than just about any other team, though.

Curnow, SPS, Marchbank, Fisher, Williamson, Pickett, Cuningham have all now played a clutch of games and the upside there is enormous. And I am genuinely hopeful this group will improve our scoring options significantly.

Throw in some probable growth in Kennedy and Lang, and #3 in the draft and there is serious optimism.

If McKay and/or Kerr can click as well, and Levi keeps kicking straight, we will trouble plenty of sides.  I know GIbbs is a loss, but with that comes the opportunity for others to step up.

It may not show on the W-L ratio, but if we can be in as many games as we were last year, this time we will win more.

A lot of ifs, but 10 wins is not out of the question.
As Richmond showed you improve when you fix the holes on your list and settle on a game style..........three important players in and a rebuilt contrarian forward line made the difference....youth doesnt guarantee improvement. Boltons game plan's and in game tactics are still unproven and he is also learning as a novice coach.... I think he needs to show improvement as well as the players.

Reply #16
I expect a huge year from Weitering.
His third in the system and he is a very talented player.
Hopefully he gets stronger and starts to control our half back line with intercept marks he was known for in his junior years.

Williamson is also important as he, like weitering have a powerful kick which can open up games and help scoring.

Pickett is also one I hope comes on in leaps.
He is very talented and hard at it. If/when he finds his feet and gets his fitness right he will be very handy.

McKays development is crucial.
He needs to play 15-20 games and hopefully he kicks 25-40 goals.
He will be a very difficult match up if he is fit and firing.

Reply #17
You bet both are raw. But Harry definitely showed he can cut it at the highest level.....

And from what others have said, Kerr struggled with carrying an injury most of the year?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #18
Williamson is an interesting one. Really liked what i saw from him this year, and i agree his kicking is fantastic. But our backline is the only area where we have depth, and we can't play them all. Weitering, Plowman, Marchbank, Jones, Docherty and Simpson would appear to be certain starters, and Rowe or A Silvagni will play some games depending on matchups. Where does Williamson fit?

Reply #19
I forgot Byrne and Macreaadie, I'd like to see more of them too

Reply #20
I think Williamson played every game he was available fitness wise last year. He played back pocket/flank.
I think he may have been one of the youngest players in the competition.
He will be there if available.

Reply #21
I agree and he should be there, be interesting to see who misses out though

Reply #22
Simpson could play higher, what we used to call "the wing" when football used to have positions

Reply #23
As we all know our defence is overloaded yet our forward line is bare.

Really hope Weitering can learn to be a forward and maybe even something left field like Willo playing up th field.

Not saying they should, simply saying worth experimenting maybe in pre season games.

Looking forward to watching SPS and crippa after a full and hopefully injury free pre season.

Reply #24
Maybe Jones can go forward with Rowe and ACoS back?

Perhaps with his new found confidence he can dominate as a forward. That said, his form down back probably shouldn't be meddled with!

If our midfield starts to click, the forwards will start to look a lot better - literally overnight.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #25
Maybe Jones can go forward with Rowe and ACoS back?

Perhaps with his new found confidence he can dominate as a forward. That said, his form down back probably shouldn't be meddled with!

If our midfield starts to click, the forwards will start to look a lot better - literally overnight.

Great believer in that FB. Jones is a more likely long term defender prospect for us than Rowe or ACoS, although these two will be useful over the next year or two. I'd like to see Jones continue to develop in his current role and moving him forward may well upset that. If we want someone to fill in as a forward I would rather go with Rowe although that prospect doesn't really excite me.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
i consider, all other things being equal ie injuries, Harry gets played Rd 1 on and is told he has the role for half the year minimum, no questions asked....

Heck, the kid will probably be 210cm by the start of next season!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #27
i consider, all other things being equal ie injuries, Harry gets played Rd 1 on and is told he has the role for half the year minimum, no questions asked....

Heck, the kid will probably be 210cm by the start of next season!

His height is irrelevant now.
He is tall enough if his attitude and determination are there.

Reply #28
Robbie Warnock was about 210cm wasn't he?

Reply #29
You bet both are raw. But Harry definitely showed he can cut it at the highest level.....

There is a difference between 'cutting it' at the highest level and thriving at the highest level.

Casboult 'cuts it' but he isn't going to dominate games on a consistent basis....or at all.

We don't wont McKay to 'cut it', we want him to dominate. WAY too soon for that to occur.