Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 - What do you expect from the club? (Read 45625 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 - What do you expect from the club?

Reply #31
Great believer in that FB. Jones is a more likely long term defender prospect for us than Rowe or ACoS, although these two will be useful over the next year or two. I'd like to see Jones continue to develop in his current role and moving him forward may well upset that. If we want someone to fill in as a forward I would rather go with Rowe although that prospect doesn't really excite me.

Agree there cookie. I would defintely be not moving Jones anywhere. Rowe and ACOS will be backup depth however there is a part of me that really wants ACOS in that side though as we need that mongrel.

Rowe will end up filling in for injuries or whatever back and forward, but I too would be really worried if he is in the forward for any other reason. As I am hoping McKay and Kerr, especially McKay will be a permanent fixture by then.

In general I am really optimistic, the natural progression of SPS, Curnow, Weitering, Fisher, Cunningham, Pickett, Silvagni and the like coupled with the 2 kids from the draft and the addition of Kennedy and Lang is exciting. Hopefully this will also mean Murph as a 70/30 forward/mid.

Reply #32
There is a difference between 'cutting it' at the highest level and thriving at the highest level.

Casboult 'cuts it' but he isn't going to dominate games on a consistent basis....or at all.

We don't wont McKay to 'cut it', we want him to dominate. WAY too soon for that to occur.

one has to crawl before one walks.....no reason to think he can't kick 30 odd goals in his first 'full' season....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #34
Agree there cookie. I would defintely be not moving Jones anywhere. Rowe and ACOS will be backup depth however there is a part of me that really wants ACOS in that side though as we need that mongrel.

Rowe will end up filling in for injuries or whatever back and forward, but I too would be really worried if he is in the forward for any other reason. As I am hoping McKay and Kerr, especially McKay will be a permanent fixture by then.

In general I am really optimistic, the natural progression of SPS, Curnow, Weitering, Fisher, Cunningham, Pickett, Silvagni and the like coupled with the 2 kids from the draft and the addition of Kennedy and Lang is exciting. Hopefully this will also mean Murph as a 70/30 forward/mid.

Charlie has already shown that he will be an unstoppable force....opposition teams will become so focused on stopping him, the heat will lessen on others!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #35
one has to crawl before one walks.....no reason to think he can't kick 30 odd goals in his first 'full' season....

Pretty sure you said the same thing about him last year.

Sure, its possible, but like last year, unlikely.

Reply #36
Pretty sure you said the same thing about him last year.

Sure, its possible, but like last year, unlikely.

Pretty hard to make an impact if you're not playing.

Some players just need to be thrown into it.....given our forward line, Bolton was remiss in not playing him sooner this year.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
Pretty hard to make an impact if you're not playing.

Some players just need to be thrown into it.....given our forward line, Bolton was remiss in not playing him sooner this year.

But he wont play players until they are ready. Given his inability to chase, or unwillingness, i think the right call was made re selection.

Point is, dont expect too much too soon.

Reply #38
I expect more improvement in 2018 and I think that it will come in the form of not giving up last quarter leads.  Our ability to lock games down should improve and Bolton will have to find a way to create more scoreboard pressure.

I expect SOS to nail the draft and land a midfielder that will have an impact from round 1.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39
stronger fitter side

Reply #40
Which of his 2 games gave that definitive impression???

The one against Geelong.

Was starved of the footy and Casboult got a free kick for one of McKay's marks inside fifty.

Still managed two goals.

If he averages 1.5 goals a game and plays 20 games he could kick 30..

I'll settle for 25 first up.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #41
The one against Geelong.

Was starved of the footy and Casboult got a free kick for one of McKay's marks inside fifty.

Still managed two goals.

If he averages 1.5 goals a game and plays 20 games he could kick 30..

I'll settle for 25 first up.
I am not normally one to compare players however, Joe Daniher managed 5 games in his first year and kicked 3 goals. Since then he as managed:
21ga 28go
22ga 34go
22ga 43go
23ga 65go
A young fellas career can turn fairly quickly with the right attitude, hard work in the PS and of course a bit of luck. If H has a good preseason and stays injury free, anything is possible, he has the talent.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
Great analysis
Thanks

Reply #43
I am not normally one to compare players however, Joe Daniher managed 5 games in his first year and kicked 3 goals. Since then he as managed:
21ga 28go
22ga 34go
22ga 43go
23ga 65go
A young fellas career can turn fairly quickly with the right attitude, hard work in the PS and of course a bit of luck. If H has a good preseason and stays injury free, anything is possible, he has the talent.

Agree but rumour has it Daniher was at the club whilst dank was.

If you could find another example though I'm all ears.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #44
Harry only turns 20 in December!

Finals, then 4 in a row!