Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 8: Northern Blues vs Sandringham at Marvel (Read 8005 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 8: Northern Blues vs Sandringham at Marvel

Reply #45
How Lebois got offered another contract staggers me....

I haven't heard a single good reason from anyone to justify that......or any reason to try and justify that.

Reply #46
I haven't heard a single good reason from anyone to justify that......or any reason to try and justify that.

To think we could have had Bolton or Pickett or many others...mystifying.

As are the Cotterill (sp?) and Finbar picks rally.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #47
Imagine giving up Mitch Robinson and Jeffy Garlett for nothing.
Robinson and Cripps in the engine room would protect the youngsters.
Garlett settles Small forward issue. 

Reply #48

Robbo was undervalued as a player and overated as a problem.....late to mature but Brisbane got the best of him,
2 x B&F's isnt it? Robbo played for the jumper,I  remember Gibbs contacted a Essendon player late just before half time in a game and Robbo jumped in front of Gibbs to protect him against the mongol hordes of red and black seeking vengeance. Gibbs vacated and left Robbo to fly the flag...

Reply #49

Garlett has been poor to average.   He had 6 disposals on the weekend.   5 goals for the year.    Some chance we can have him back as a delisted free agent.  Hardly the answer.

Reply #50
Robbo was undervalued as a player and overated as a problem.....late to mature but Brisbane got the best of him,
2 x B&F's isnt it? Robbo played for the jumper,I  remember Gibbs contacted a Essendon player late just before half time in a game and Robbo jumped in front of Gibbs to protect him against the mongol hordes of red and black seeking vengeance. Gibbs vacated and left Robbo to fly the flag...

To be fair none of us know the extent of the off the field stuff.

Reply #51
To be fair none of us know the extent of the off the field stuff.

Greg Swann who was CEO with us and then Brisbane would have known all about Robbo's off field history,
didnt seem to stop him picking him up.
Martin Pyke won four flags and wouldnt have been an entrant in choir boy of the year but you need a few rough diamonds
to make a football team and we have over done it with the choir boys IMO.

Reply #52
to make a football team and we have over done it with the choir boys IMO.

Yes, it's another form of list imbalance, as I sit here watching Matty Parker beat us up on the replay!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
Setterfield has a go and puts himself in the action but isnt pretty to watch, he needs game time to tune his disposal under pressure.
I couldnt work out why he was dropped when we knew Cripps would have Steele and Dunstan on him all day, neither of them are pretty players and Setterfield could have
been a good assistant for Cripps, Kennedy needs more game time too but I'd look to play him off half back and use the good kicking Newman in a more attacking role
further up the ground.

Agree with all this mate.

Newman to a wing to pin the ball inside forward 50 more often. He's creative and can win lots of the ball.

Setterfield I'd play as a genuine inside mid at AFL level. Think he, and Davey Cuningham, can find their way through traffic really well. When Setterfield plays at AFL level, he seems on the outside of the contest, or at half-forward way too much. He's a natural inside ball winner with great touch and hands IMO.

Agree keep Kennedy in the team.

Some of the players need new challenges, roles, tasks.

Could someone like Fisher, and/or SPS, spend more time across half-back?

Reply #54
Newman to a wing to pin the ball inside forward 50 more often. He's creative and can win lots of the ball.

In the absence of Jones, Daisy and Simmo is it wise to move Newman, that leaves us very inexperienced inside D50?

I'd be running Setterfield in F50, in form he is a genuine contested mark equal to if not better than Weitering. Certainly a better F50 target than Cripps or SoJ!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
In the absence of Jones, Daisy and Simmo is it wise to move Newman, that leaves us very inexperienced inside D50?

I'd be running Setterfield in F50, in form he is a genuine contested mark equal to if not better than Weitering. Certainly a better F50 target than Cripps or SoJ!

There are so many configurations to experiment with - I like the idea of Setterfield across HF, Curnow to a wing, Casboult at CHB and Jones on the other wing. Cripps would certainly have the support he needs around stoppages.

Reply #56
I'm ok with trying new things if the old ones aren't working but getting our forwards to lead might help more than moving Charlie out of there.

Also no more than two men up, everyone else should be getting front and square.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson