Skip to main content
Topic: Daisy in strife (Read 20282 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Daisy in strife

Reply #15
Maybe I'm naive, but I can't see how this is a story if all he did was have a couple of glasses of wine and spilt some blokes drink? Si there more that we don't know about?

Yes, if everything that happened is what we've been told, then it's a big beat up and and a complete waste of time.

Was there something else ? The club seems to be taking its sweet time issuing a statement............

Reply #16
Statement issued, Daisy playing VFL this week

Reply #18
I've gone in to bat for daisy more than anyone on this site i reckon, but i'll back the club in on this one.

Why?

He lied to the club. He said he only had a couple of drinks, when in reality he was probably pretty sloshed.
Even if it was just a couple, not ideal, especially in public. But its the lies he told the club that are the big thing for me.

I backed the club when they ditched Robbo, for the same thing, and i'll back them now. You have to set the standard. You have to be held accountable.

Kudos to the club for making a stand. Daisy will learn from it.

I think the timing of this is either 'worst possible' or 'perfect' depending on if you are wearing a tin-foil hat or not.
Let me explain...
Worst possible timing because we need every senior player we have for this week in a winnable game against the old enemy.

Perfect timing because the club might find it harder to sack Bolton if he wins.

Reply #19
Surely you mean "if he loses"?

Reply #20
I've gone in to bat for daisy more than anyone on this site i reckon, but i'll back the club in on this one.

Why?

He lied to the club. He said he only had a couple of drinks, when in reality he was probably pretty sloshed.
Even if it was just a couple, not ideal, especially in public. But its the lies he told the club that are the big thing for me.

I backed the club when they ditched Robbo, for the same thing, and i'll back them now. You have to set the standard. You have to be held accountable.

Kudos to the club for making a stand. Daisy will learn from it.

I think it's an overreaction. Sanction him, give him a fine, but we need to win games of footy. I understand your "worst possible" or "perfect" scenario, but I still think it's OTT. Should we trade him out at year's end ?

Reply #21
I'm not being smart, but how do you know he lied to the club? I don't know what he said to the club, and I don't know what happened apart from the Club statement?

Reply #22
I'm not being smart, but how do you know he lied to the club? I don't know what he said to the club, and I don't know what happened apart from the Club statement?

Based on Caros efforts, Judds comments and reevaluating and the fact he's been suspended.

Reply #23
Surely you mean "if he loses"?

No, i'm suggesting the club might WANT to sack him. If he wins, it might ruin their plans. Suspending daisy might help them achieve that goal.

Hence the tin-foil hat comment.

Reply #24
Ridiculous penalty.  TOTALLY out of order.  Just another example of how inept we really are.

Reply #25
I think it's an overreaction. Sanction him, give him a fine, but we need to win games of footy. I understand your "worst possible" or "perfect" scenario, but I still think it's OTT. Should we trade him out at year's end ?

Not at all.

Its his first issue since being at the club (i don't count the umpire thing because he's right!)

He'll cop his whack and life goes on.

Reply #26
Yep. What a hullabaloo over not much. And to think Rhys-Jones used to have a ciggy at half time and Lord knows what else afterwards.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-05-28/club-statement-dale-thomas
Pauly to me its about setting and living elite standards. If the players had a rule amongst themselves about no drinking x hrs before a training session or game, then so be it. If the club high performance group imposed the rule, so be it. Either way, if the rule is in place, it must be enforced, its the only way the culture will be improved. The only person who can judge if this is an overreaction or BS is Daisy himself. By the sound of it, he knows he farked up and is prepared to make amends. Same rules for 1st years as 10th year and 20yr players. Does it penalise the club and jeopardise our chances of winning? Probably. "Pay the price" is what John Kennedy Snr used to say.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
Not at all.

Its his first issue since being at the club (i don't count the umpire thing because he's right!)

He'll cop his whack and life goes on.

Sorry, that was a sarcastic reference to Garlett and Robbo being traded out.

Reply #28
Sorry, that was a sarcastic reference to Garlett and Robbo being traded out.

I figured as much, hence why i said it was his first offence.

The 2 you mentioned were repeat offenders

Reply #29
Pauly to me its about setting and living elite standards. If the players had a rule amongst themselves about no drinking x hrs before a training session or game, then so be it. If the club high performance group imposed the rule, so be it. Either way, if the rule is in place, it must be enforced, its the only way the culture will be improved. The only person who can judge if this is an overreaction or BS is Daisy himself. By the sound of it, he knows he farked up and is prepared to make amends. Same rules for 1st years as 10th year and 20yr players. Does it penalise the club and jeopardise our chances of winning? Probably. "Pay the price" is what John Kennedy Snr used to say.

My issue is with the punishment rather than the rules. In my view, we have a tendency to go overboard with these things. He's been a model citizen for ages, why not just give him a warning ?

The other thing is who is actually being punished ? We have no seniors as it is. Why leave him in the magoos when we desperately need a win. I think we punish ourselves more than any individual. There's some fine tuning required to how we deal with these issues - too draconian for mine.