Skip to main content
Topic: Movie & TV thread... (Read 12735 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Movie thread...

Reply #45
Boy, I like this thread. I often ask people their suck-in movie. This is not necessarily their favourite but the one that comes on and keeps you sucked in until the end. Even though you've watched it a zillion times. For me it's Shawshank. I will deliberately avoid the channel it's on for fear of being "sucked in". Love it.

Reply #46
...............I often ask people their suck-in movie. This is not necessarily their favourite but the one that comes on and keeps you sucked in until the end. Even though you've watched it a zillion times. For me it's Shawshank. I will deliberately avoid the channel it's on for fear of being "sucked in". Love it.

I was the same. Having now watched it about 15 times, I think I've finally expunged it from my system.

Reply #47
Boy, I like this thread. I often ask people their suck-in movie. This is not necessarily their favourite but the one that comes on and keeps you sucked in until the end. Even though you've watched it a zillion times. For me it's Shawshank. I will deliberately avoid the channel it's on for fear of being "sucked in". Love it.

Shawshank is an easy 'out'.

I'll give you a few....
Seven
Silence of the Lambs
Beverly Hills Cop trilogy (Eddie is so good)
and a more leftfield one....
Before Sunrise.

Reply #48
For me the sucked in movies are:
All the Jason Bourne movies
All the Daniel Craig Bond Movies
Stepbrothers
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49

The Magnificent Seven .... and James Coburn ("Brit") with his 11 lines in the entire film.

Musta seen it 30 times. 

Reply #50
For me the sucked in movies are:
All the Jason Bourne movies
All the Daniel Craig Bond Movies
Stepbrothers

Ha!  One of these movies is not like the others!!  (And is also from planet bullsht, in the galaxy of this sucks camel ds)

Reply #51
I teabagged your drum set. Your drum set is a whore!

Reply #52
Ha!  One of these movies is not like the others!!  (And is also from planet bullsht, in the galaxy of this sucks camel ds)
Did we just become best friends?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #53
On another note entirely, K. Loved El Machina. Clever. Great script, mood/setting and acting... and refreshing and bold to have the 3 main characters flawed in each of their own ways but no-one really the out-and-out bad guy... a la Hollywood. Even Nathan, a challenging character, had sharp, honest and poignant viewpoints.
@Baggers

Glad you liked it.

I came across it without really knowing anything about it.

I usually search lists for "best ***** movies of 2019" etc and download/save a heap of movies.....every now and then i go through and watch one without remembering why i got it. This was one of the best 'little finds' i've found from that method.

If you liked that one there is a movie called Morgan that is similar, but not quite up to the same standard....but interesting at least.

Oh....and you must watch Black Mirror, on netflix. Its a series (there is an interactive movie which is ok, but not as good as the series)
Each episode is completely unique. A basic premise is looking at a new form of technology that is almost within grasp of us today....and taking it down a path with unintended consequences. Eye opening and the best thing i've seen since the X-Files.
Some episodes can be a bit much....but stick with it.

Reply #54
@Baggers

Glad you liked it.

I usually search lists for "best ***** movies of 2019" etc and download/save a heap of movies.....every now and then i go through and watch one without remembering why i got it. This was one of the best 'little finds' i've found from that method.

If you liked that one there is a movie called Morgan that is similar, but not quite up to the same standard....but interesting at least.

Oh....and you must watch Black Mirror, on netflix. Its a series (there is an interactive movie which is ok, but not as good as the series)
Each episode is completely unique. A basic premise is looking at a new form of technology that is almost within grasp of us today....and taking it down a path with unintended consequences. Eye opening and the best thing i've seen since the X-Files.

Yep
Black Mirror is very good and different...but you're right, there is that occasional episode that doesn't quite come up to the standard of the others.

Reply #55
@Baggers

Glad you liked it.

Huge thanks... Black Mirror starts tonight!

What did you think of Edge of Tomorrow? I loved the concept, but the violence was over the top.

Principal LODS, have you seen Edge of Tomorrow?

I've got the original (B/W) Outer Limits and Twilight Zone on DVD... great to bring out every now and then. Rod Serling was brilliant and something of a social activist, he learned early in his writing career that using sci fi to get across social messages got him into less strife with the censors! Likewise with the original Star Trek series from Gene Roddenberry.

If you can handle old b/w Twilight Zone episodes, Time Element is pretty good and available on YouTube.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #56
Principal LODS, have you seen Edge of Tomorrow?

Yep.
Quite enjoy those time shift type shows
Watching 'Timeless' on Amazon at the moment.
Time travel.
Lot's of references to significant events and characters in American History.

Reply #57
I haven't watched Edge of Tomorrow. It has Tom Cruise in it.
I like him a lot less than Kevin Costner.

I like him in Cocktail. He's good in Rain Man. I only watched Top Gun from start to finish for the first time 2 years ago. I'll put up with him in Eyes Wide Shut because its Kubrick.....but i won't watch much else with him in it.

Reply #58
I haven't watched Edge of Tomorrow. It has Tom Cruise in it.
I like him a lot less than Kevin Costner.

I like him in Cocktail. He's good in Rain Man. I only watched Top Gun from start to finish for the first time 2 years ago. I'll put up with him in Eyes Wide Shut because its Kubrick.....but i won't watch much else with him in it.

Hey, K, I am on the same page re Cruise... absolute Scientology bozo and if he was any further up himself, he'd turn inside out. He's the reason I resisted Edge of Tomorrow for so long but the story and concept become the main characters after a while.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #59
Hey, K, I am on the same page re Cruise... absolute Scientology bozo and if he was any further up himself, he'd turn inside out. He's the reason I resisted Edge of Tomorrow for so long but the story and concept become the main characters after a while.
I'll get to it one day....but its not near the top of my list at this stage.