Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Prattle: AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda at Marvel (Read 24282 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Prattle: AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda at Marvel

Reply #30
Tis not the point - Fas or Polson - who cares really....and I note Fas kicked 2 goals in the last quarter on the weekend?

See attached - hardly out of form?

Did you watch the game?

If I recall one goal was a free kick down the field, and the other may have been a kick out the back. Fasolo spent all day getting ahead of the play, very little physical impact on play. I do admit that could be useful if the rest of the team are on a roll, but that is hardly the Carlton we know at the moment! In a team that is being bullied out of the contest at the coal-face another outside runner won't be a major help.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Thought of Lang, but also thought 6 changes was a big axe!!

After playing like witches hats and getting thumped by 93 points, I reckon making six changes isn't going hard enough.

We need to send a strong message not only to the playing group but the footy world outside that we do not accept lacklustre efforts like that.

Anyone (and I mean anyone) who is performing strongly in the seconds gets a game in place of those players who aren't trying hard enough in the seniors.

Added to that, every player who is older and more physically developed (Kennedy, Lang, Fasolo etc) have to come in and provide some immediate physicality. Casboult needs to be instructed to play the Mumford role and throw some weight around to hurt the opposition.

Young players like O'Brien must be sent back to the VFL for an extended period and do not return to the seniors until such time as they have developed a more hard nose 'win at all costs' approach.

And if Charlie Curnow wants to swan around the ground after drinking his own bathwater, he too can have an extended visit to the magoos. 
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #32
After playing like witches hats and getting thumped by 93 points, I reckon making six changes isn't going hard enough.

We need to send a strong message not only to the playing group but the footy world outside that we do not accept lacklustre efforts like that.

Anyone (and I mean anyone) who is performing strongly in the seconds gets a game in place of those players who aren't trying hard enough in the seniors.

Added to that, every player who is older and more physically developed (Kennedy, Lang, Fasolo etc) have to come in and provide some immediate physicality. Casboult needs to be instructed to play the Mumford role and throw some weight around to hurt the opposition.

Young players like O'Brien must be sent back to the VFL for an extended period and do not return to the seniors until such time as they have developed a more hard nose 'win at all costs' approach.

And if Charlie Curnow wants to swan around the ground after drinking his own bathwater, he too can have an extended visit to the magoos.

And so say all (most?) of us....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #33
Polson.....haven’t we all seen enough. 

What we saw last week was a lack or pressure and chasing on the ball carrier. Polson brings both.
It's about time we reward effort, and penalise a lack of.

Reply #34
Casboult just isn't that kind of player,  he's too decent,  plays nice clean footy. He seems concerned about his actions on those around him ("Duty of care"), a memo a swag of players seem to have missed.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #35
Cant drop every player that put in a bad game this week otherwise we wont field a team - Kennedy has to come in - just have to get a bigger body in the middle with Cripps.

We must field a team with the best chance of winning a few games in next month, which means no hacks like Polson, Fasolo or Garlett acting as witches hats. All these guys have frustrated us when in the senior team and show SFA and its only in sheer desperation that the same names are being mentioned again as though they will have a positive as we have some kids out of form. Well don't hold ya breath these list cloggers will do anything but guard space!

If we want any chance of getting a win im praying Simmo, Jones and even Plowman all get up, and Thomas gets off the charge with a fine. If they don't we wont win - simply as that.  

Reply #36

What a ridiculous comment. We as a club have been accepting of that type of effort for almost 2 decades. The club has lost it's soul and is devoid of any meaning other than to be the percentage booster for all other clubs.

We're a joke and until we dismantle the boys club that it is, it will remain so.

The sh*tness this club exudes on a yearly basis knows no bounds. I don't even get mad watching the shyte that they dish out on weekly basis anymore. I've literally become desensitised to it and simply watch in amusement at how bad we are as a club in virtually every aspect of football. The fact that after almost 2 decades we can't:

- Find a player who can hit a target and by that I mean by hand or by foot. You're not talking about late draft picks either. We have had arguably more high draft picks than any other club in the history of the AFL including GWS and GC, yet can't draft someone with any semblance of skills is mind boggling. By my count this is now 4 different list managers! Who the f*ck is employing these guys? Do they even know what skills to look for?
- Tackle
- Kick at goal accurately
- Work a simple zone
- Implement a decernable game plan
- Develop any leadership

Jesus, when you see what Dew has done with the Gold Coast, Geelong revamping their list with hardly any high draft picks and Port Adelaide injecting a crapload of talent in one off season and that talent showing something in it's first year really shows you the level of ineptness that Carlton has displayed over the past 2 decades.

This constant tripe about wait until the list matures is total shyte as well. We waited until Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer and a myriad of other first round picks matured and here we are. Left with a host of list cloggers and a club devoid of any talent.

I'm sick hearing "this time is different". No it's not, it's history repeating itself.

The only decent talent we do have is Cripps, Walsh and perhaps McKay. The rest is just meh to be honest. Turn over merchants by the bucket full and so easily bullied and so meek it's frightening to think these guys think they belong on a football field. Worse still, are those who drafted them initially but that's a whole new level of crappness to be discussed on another day.

Poor Cripps and Judd before him. The load these blokes have had to bear is bordering on criminal.
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #37
Skills are skills.

I read somewhere that our forwards go above 85% in goal kicking during the pre-game warm up, then deliver a fraction of that performance in real game time. That's not something that can be coached, it's an in game experience repetition issue.

Further the only way to filter out players is to give them game time and observe who improves and who doesn't, it's nothing to do with match selection, form, trading, drafting or coaching.

But it doesn't suit the BB bashers argument to admit things like that.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
A pass/fail criterion that must be on our recruitment check list is "Does the player make good decisions with the ball?" We must not take players where the answer is NO! This quality is pretty much hard-wired so if you get this selection wrong you are pretty much stuck with it - coaching can only possibly change it with much work and attention or not change it at all.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39
A pass/fail criterion that must be on our recruitment check list is "Does the player make good decisions with the ball?" We must not take players where the answer is NO! This quality is pretty much hard-wired so if you get this selection wrong you are pretty much stuck with it - coaching can only possibly change it with much work and attention or not change it at all.

Fans point to Walsh as an example, but in reality Walsh is doing that stuff because he is allowed to be unaccountable for his direct opponent, and based on a few rumors of him sledging senior team-mates the kid needs to be reminded of that or eventually a team-mate will leave him high and dry Murphy Mumford style!

Does Carlton have the luxury of allowing Walsh to play that way for 3 or 4 years, like CheatsFC did with Zach Merrett? I'd say no because it means continued loses while the kids learn!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
What we saw last week was a lack or pressure and chasing on the ball carrier. Polson brings both.
It's about time we reward effort, and penalise a lack of.
Polson would have made 2/10 of SFA last week, he would have cowered like the rest of them. Im over LOB and Polson, LOB in particular brings nothing. Polson tackles and applies pressure, doesnt kick goals or win a high number of possessions. You can only go so far with 1%ers.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #41
If we are to believe Andrew Russell, Simmo, Plowman and Cuningham should be good to go with Jones still ‘a couple of weeks away’. I think we need an actual defender down back rather than Casboult. We might play Goddard and they might play Rowe!! 

Reply #42
That's a bad concussion for Jones. I hope they apply due care

Reply #43
If we are to believe Andrew Russell, Simmo, Plowman and Cuningham should be good to go with Jones still ‘a couple of weeks away’. I think we need an actual defender down back rather than Casboult. We might play Goddard and they might play Rowe!!

Saints dont really run with a tall forward line, they have leadup types like Membrey and Bruce and then rely on smalls like Billings,Gresham and newbie smalls Parker and Young.
They will look to run it in and hitup Membrey in particular, he doesnt miss very often so denying him the footy will go a long way to winning the game.
Parker is a highlight reel player, can kick the freak goals and also takes big speccy's like Liam Ryan but lacks consistency.

Josh Steele usually plays on Cripps and does ok, Dunstan is the relief tagger but there is no Jack Stevens this time and they only have junior ex forward in Marshall doing the rucking.

If we do our homework, plan properly we should win this game and win well IMO.....Saints are injury ravaged and run a very small non physical team which should suit us.

Reply #44
We have been the Saints bitches for years. I don't know where all the confidence comes from, we will probably get done by 5-6 goals. Its at Marvel where we have a shocking record, dont know where the circuit breaker will come from. Jones is another f/n away, the "stable back 6" is not there.
For mine

Outs: Murph, LOB, Ed, Charlie, Dow

Ins: Anyone with a pulse (not Polson) and who gives a fark about the jumper.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time