Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rnd 1: Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game (Read 34486 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rnd 1: Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

Reply #135
Some stats for the Rnd 1 Team:
Average Age:  25.2 years
Average No. of Games:  85.5
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #136
Again explain to me how swapping a decrepit player like Thomas for Cunningham upsets the balance. Do we really need to carry two below average players neither of whom made our top 10 B&F when we have a future 200 gamer needing experience. Let him run out in front of 70,000, where they say a playing in front of a big crowd is worth 2 games of experience.
He may have a niggle, he may be crook, we dont know. He has time on his side, patience Grasshopper.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #137
Again explain to me how swapping a decrepit player like Thomas for Cunningham upsets the balance. Do we really need to carry two below average players neither of whom made our top 10 B&F when we have a future 200 gamer needing experience. Let him run out in front of 70,000, where they say a playing in front of a big crowd is worth 2 games of experience.

Cunningham will get plenty of chances. We have a young side already, and just like retaining gibbs, playing thomas gets some experience in the side. He is our only player with a premiership medel. Without wishing to turn this into a thomas discussion (we have a long thread for that!) he adds experience and i would think some leadership to the backline.

Playing the kids is fine when they can play alongside some experienced hands, even if they have limited futures. This is why we recruited the likes of palmer and alex sivagni. Neither of them are going to set the team alight, but they might speed up the development of the young players by adding experience here and there. Otherwise we are back to where we were when murphy and gibbs were belted up in their first seasons with the likes of whitnall and stevens to lead them. ::)

Reply #138
You might not have a match winner with Daisy, but you won't win a game with an unbalanced list and it's as simple as that. Our club obviously thinks it has a better than 50/50 chance to win this one.

This is AFL not TAC Cup, clubs cannot player half a team of kids, Cripps said as much discussing the pre-season games.

If Cuningham or Fisher come in, one of those other four would have to go out.

Yet again.... replacing Thomas with Cunningham would not unbalance the list. Both would have a similar impact, I'd wager that Cunningham will run faster after an opponent and be able to kick and keep it in bounds.

Cunningham has a decent sized body and is capable of competing. I never spoke of Fisher, while I like the kids endeavour, he is truly undersized. As the team is listed Docherty will not line up on the wing nor will Thomas at half back. Cunningham could play on the wing, Daisy will be sitting in the forward pocket, as he is a liability further up the field. So with that in mind Cunningham's inclusion would give us more flexibility, but if we need two duds to play to give us "balance" as I've been informed twice, then there is no way we are serious about developing youth.

They is very little chance we will win this game, we will finish bottom four, probably bottom 2 and that's fine if we see a Cunningham type taking the game on and stuffing up, rather than Daisy get the ball and kick it out on the full, we've seen that or Lamb look too scared to put his head over the ball then push someone like a tough man.

Reply #139

You've missed the point completely, those first gamers in front of 70000 will be like Neo first time in The Matrix, distracted by the woman in red, hyperventilating and oblivious as the evil agents have their way!

Thomas, White, Armfield, like them of hate them, they've been there and done that. What they lack in one area their experience more than covers. I made the analogy between McLean and Thomas once before, McLean was even slower than Thomas but just seemed to find himself in space at the right moment. Not by accident, but because experience helped him know where to be and when. Doing the smart stuff and managing themselves through a game like beginners cannot. It's an aspect of playing AFL a lot of the kids just don't have, and it has nothing to do with ability or fitness. They'll get plenty of opportunity to gain experience, but not all at once and not in the majority.

When those younguns get hyped in the first 5 mins they'll most likely be blown up by halftime, you just cannot carry more than 3 or 4 first gamers for that reason alone.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
I reckon Cuningham & Macreadie have every chance to deliver to the same level that Thomas & Lamb would, the difference being that the two young guys would gain some much valued senior experience.

I understand that people are suggesting that players should be rewarded with selection for various things but I'm struggling to understand what Thomas & Lamb have done that is better than the other two lads.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #141
I understand that people are suggesting that players should be rewarded with selection for various things but I'm struggling to understand what Thomas & Lamb have done that is better than the other two lads.

Sheik, the tell has been coming from the club officials and senior players for a couple of weeks. Why wouldn't you trust the comments coming form Bolton, his assistants, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Simpson and Murphy? They have all pumped up Daisy in recent weeks.

It's just that supporters are biased by past performances which they cannot move past.

Nobody inside the AFL takes the JLT seriously, even the media beat it up but they know it means nothing. Cripps highlighted that fact in the video posted on the club website, in one JLT game we had a dozen first season players on the field at the same time, that's another tell.

The only thing that disturbs me is the skills, or apparent lack of skills, that is a development issue and not related to pre-season matches.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #142
Good to see a few young guys get their opportunities and looking forward to seeing them play for the first time. Our forward division looks a bit thin to me though and our mids will need to be very busy both helping out with the goal kicking and running both ways. Army and White will definitely need to focus on keeping the ball in our F50 as much as possible, and causing Tiger turnovers.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #143
I'm pretty happy with that line up.

Like others, I'm not convinced that Lamb and Thomas have earned their places but I don't think Cuningham (note the spelling!) and Macreadie have done more at this stage.  They will get their opportunities in due course.  I would have had Palmer in the 22 before Lamb or Thomas but it's probably a line ball.

White has a pretty good record against Martin and I'd be expecting that match up, not that I'd be surprised if it didn't happen.

I'm changing my prediction from winning by a goal kicked after the siren to a comfortable 3-4 goal margin.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #144
Looks good on paper. Congratulations to those debuting in the Navy jumper.
Noticed Docherty in the centre and Ed down forward, although realize they'll mix it up.

OK. Cannot contain my excitement.... I can't wait to see young Sammo debut. My prediction in another thread was he'll have a debut game like "young Walker". I'll probs have a coronary if he does.

Go new Blues.

Blues by 7.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #145
Looks good on paper. Congratulations to those debuting in the Navy jumper.
Noticed Docherty in the centre and Ed down forward, although realize they'll mix it up.

OK. Cannot contain my excitement.... I can't wait to see young Sammo debut. My prediction in another thread was he'll have a debut game like "young Walker". I'll probs have a coronary if he does.

Go new Blues.

Blues by 7.
I share your hopes about SPS. With all due respect to Weiters who was fantastic last year, but FMD we are long overdue for one of our top draft picks to debut make the footy world stand up and really take notice. Could SPS be "The One"? I feckin hope so.
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #146
Jack and Griffith aside the tigers look small up front, where as we with Rowe,Marchbank, Weiters and Plowman look big?!?

All but guarantees one of them to go forward. I see Marchbank to Griffith, and Plowman to Jack, Weiters third/intercept tall defender. That leaves Rowe as defensive forward on Rance (he did have the most spoils last year, and Rance is the intercept king) White to Dusty to give him the crapes.

With all the hype over Nankervis, Kreuser's preseason form should leave him in his wake, thereby exposing the one paced Richmond midfield. Ed all over Cotchin, Cripps over powering the Caddy/Prestia combo, Murph and Gibbs stealing the show. Leaves the nimber 6 pick to run amok.

Goals need to be spread. Daisy and  Pickett will prove to be a very useful goal kicking combo as demonstrated in the JLT (THEY DID MANAGE A FEW GOALS), Levi just needs to convert (very hopeful I know)

I am not that pessimistic, as today my daughter told me that her dalliance with the yellow and black is over and she is returning to the force, emboldens me to believe that indeed we can win this ;) ;)
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #147
Jack and Griffith aside the tigers look small up front, where as we with Rowe,Marchbank, Weiters and Plowman look big?!?

All but guarantees one of them to go forward. I see Marchbank to Griffith, and Plowman to Jack, Weiters third/intercept tall defender. That leaves Rowe as defensive forward on Rance (he did have the most spoils last year, and Rance is the intercept king) White to Dusty to give him the crapes.

With all the hype over Nankervis, Kreuser's preseason form should leave him in his wake, thereby exposing the one paced Richmond midfield. Ed all over Cotchin, Cripps over powering the Caddy/Prestia combo, Murph and Gibbs stealing the show. Leaves the nimber 6 pick to run amok.

Goals need to be spread. Daisy and  Pickett will prove to be a very useful goal kicking combo as demonstrated in the JLT (THEY DID MANAGE A FEW GOALS), Levi just needs to convert (very hopeful I know)

I am not that pessimistic, as today my daughter told me that her dalliance with the yellow and black is over and she is returning to the force, emboldens me to believe that indeed we can win this ;) ;)

I'll go Rowe on Griffiths for the height factor, I think Prestia might need a tag...if someone can man up Lloyd it would be handy as well...Tigers forward line isnt great but they have a few players like Lloyd who seem to ar$e a few goals everytime we play them and they do kick straight..
Like to see Kruezer exploit Nankervis around the ground but I remain unconvinced about him dominating the ruck.....
Happy Lambert isnt playing, like Lloyd he is another under the radar player who likes playing us...
Reckon Pickett can kick a few vs the Tigers who are not great down back IMO and I reckon JackS can also hit the scoreboard....close game IMO...

Reply #148
Pretty happy with the team and think it is as good a team as we are going to see lineup this year.

Thomas will keep getting games unfortunately but feel for Cunningham. Glad to see Kerridge not make the cut as I think he is an athlete and nothing else, terrible game sense and skills and a depth player at best so glad others have gone past him.

Really like Smedts, Pickett, SPS and Armfield in there together providing some toe on the wings and high half forward.

I also like Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman and Rowe back. I don't think its too tall as Rowe and Marchbank can play the key lock down roles, let Weitering play on some hack and intercept and control the game from back there and Plowman to play on a 3rd tall type and not be undersized like he was a lot last year.

Lamb I don't mind getting a game as he gets goals and we just dont get enough. I like the mix of White, Silvagni and Curnow up forward with Casboult occupying Rance. I definitely think we are a chance and probaly be a close game.

Reply #149
One mob has no external expectations on them.  The other is facing a' 'season defining' game in Round 1.  One group has the reputation for having a 'pea heart' when the crunch is on, the other one has honest triers.

Pressure does funny things to vulnerable teams. Blues by 14 pts.