Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 37918 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #75
I believe you should pick your best team at the start of the season. Make the youngsters earn their spot.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #76
I believe you should pick your best team at the start of the season. Make the youngsters earn their spot.

I agree, except I would gift each youngster a block of four games to see what they can do. Other than that, the club has to pick the best team to win, and every player earns their spot - young, old, short, tall etc. is irrelevant.

Reply #77
CFC Facebook page says Murphy and Gibbs have been cleared of any serious damage an are expected to play v the Swans.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #78
Well, we now know what the tipping point is in terms of selecting kids that turns into getting thrashed .

I hope there's s more measured selection process this week.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #79
Don't worry guys. We will play Sydney and get them back into full confidence and back into form, after they smash us by 75 points.  ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #80
Pick kerriage palmer and we still lose by less and then everyone can complain we don't play kids. That way we can filll the boards up next week.

Reply #81
I would pick Cunningham & McKay, after watching the Northern Blues, and hopefully bring in Kreuzer. Phillips looked a bit underdone.Not sure who I would not pick. I hope we keep going with the youth policy, we need to get plenty of games into the kids. I also hope Kerr gets a game sometime this year.

Reply #82
I think we need to wait on McKay. He doesn't appear to have built his tank yet. He struggled to get to contests in the second half in the VFL. Maybe later in the season, he'll get his chance to play 3 or 4 games.

Reply #83
I think we need to wait on McKay. He doesn't appear to have built his tank yet. He struggled to get to contests in the second half in the VFL. Maybe later in the season, he'll get his chance to play 3 or 4 games.

Tom Wilson agrees with you:

... Wilson said Carlton supporters begging for Brendon Bolton to hand McKay a debut against Sydney on Saturday should show greater patience.

“I think he has come along pretty quickly,” Wilson said.

“You have got to remember he had a significant injury last year that kept him out for a little while.

“A lot of people think he is ready to go. I have no doubt he will be a quality player for a very long time for the Carlton footy club.

“But for me, just don’t expose him too early.”
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #84
There is a LOT of different messages coming through with Harry McKay.
I have not been the only one who has noted that he tends to start much better than he ends, and that his sprints later in the game are lacking the same purpose that appears early in the game. The natural suggestion is that his tank is not AFL standard yet.
However, information has come to my attention from a number of sources that suggests that harry runs around a LOT more than most forwards. His tracking data suggests he runs around more than our mids!
That does not sound like a guy with a smallish tank.

So, what IS his problem? I'm not sure yet. I am guessing when I say that he is wasting his energy when he cannot get the ball. As he learns the caper better, he'll probably run less, but to better positions more often. Because he needs to have that sprint and leap left in the last quarter.

Harry's kicking is another issue. I don't know if he is spending time with Rocca, but he should be. There are times when he can kick the ball through the eye of a needle, and there are others when Casboult's kicks look better. If he works on his drop, he could be deadly, as he has excellent depth in his kicks. But at the moment he is something of a hit or miss often.

I really don't want to rush our kids too much. Most of these guys have displayed enough to think they will be long term options. And yes, we DO need t get games into them. But we also to carefully manage them, to keep their confidence from dropping too much. In future year's their self belief will be as import if not more important than their fitness. In the 1970's and 1980's, the will to win got us over the line a lot. That is what we want from these guys.

Cuningham might be ready for another try. He is not a 4 quarter player yet, but his work at Jones' feel was most impressive. Having that dash from the centre would be something that Sydney would NOT expect.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #85
He drops so many marks he almost grabs. And thats in the 2's. Yes that will come with experience but leave him in the 2's for now imo

Reply #86
He drops so many marks he almost grabs. And thats in the 2's. Yes that will come with experience but leave him in the 2's for now imo

My opinion too!  Let him develop, bulk up and gain confidence. 

Reply #87
By way of comparison, North have been depleted up forward but are yet to debut their McKay for possibly all the same reasons we are holding back, and he wasn't injured like his brother. 

Reply #88
By way of comparison, North have been depleted up forward but are yet to debut their McKay for possibly all the same reasons we are holding back, and he wasn't injured like his brother.

Their McKay is apparently a KPD, I read somewhere they use to play CHB and CHF respectively!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #89

McKay had 10km up by 3/4 time last week. Tank is no issue. Like to run and get up the ground.