Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 53071 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #15
Starc and Hazelwood worry me EB.   Both have been underwhelming for a while and given the frailty of both Audra's batting,  bowling is going to be key.   On green decks 3/30 is the kind of figures you need to return,  not 4/135.

They might be lucky to play. Pattinson and Cummins will play and it's possibly they may even play Neser or Siddle as the 3rd bowler, two players who might be well suited in England. One of Starc or Hazelwood will likely play but it's no certainty.

Reply #16
Take your point Prof...Poms are really playing a one day team with Roy, Denly, Stokes, Butler and their reliable's in Root and Bairstow in the top order, reckon Lyon is a lock to play given that lot play the quicks ok and are aggressive hitters in the main. Think we will go with Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood and Lyon first up, I'm a Pattinson fan as he is aggressive, takes wickets plus handy with the willow and probably prefer him to Hazelwood but he struggles to stay on the park and Hazelwood has that reliability factor about him

Think we need to win that first test, when they have Archer(145-150kph) and Anderson fit I think its going to get a lot harder and they will be preparing some real Anderson friendly wickets in typical english fashion.
Hoping they are a bit cocky and still wallowing in their world cup victory(steal) and not switched on and we surprise them....

Huge, huge mistake if they leave Pattinson out. He's the best bowler of the entire group, especially in England.

Poms might think twice about green wickets after last night..lol.

Reply #17
The Irish bowled the Poms out for less than 100 about Lunch time. That suggests to me that a green top is a poor choice for them.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
Love your theory Jim but Starc seems to have a mortgage with the new ball, can't see CA omitting a NSW incumbent. Pattinson reminds me of Steyn with that length and away movement....and enough pace to be nasty.   I'd pick him in a flash.   Hazelwoodor Siddle, not both.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #19
I reckon they'll pick all the NSW boys, Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon. I'd prefer Pattinson to all of the above except Cummins, but can't see them selecting him. Siddle would also be more reliable than either Starc or Hazlewood

Reply #20
Should be Cummins, Hazelwood, Pattinson and Starc.

Should Marsh be played as an all rounder?

I hear he's back bowling 140+.... and moving it a bit.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #21
Bancroft batting himself back into the opening gig!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #22
I agree, poor wickets favor consistent bowlers.

The blokes who spray it can still have bad days on poor wickets, and Starc is the prime global candidate for a bowler who can have a bad day on a crap wicket!

Thommo was a classic for this, some days on any wicket including Indian or West Indian roads he was unplayable, but he was just as likely to go at 0/100 on a Gabba green top!

Someone like Siddle or Hazlewood, even Behrendorff could be unplayable on a sticky wicket.

Hussey reckons Siddle will be in contention if the Poms dish up a green top.  His first choice bowlers are Cummins and Pattinson.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #23
Starc must play the 1st Test if fit....

I know he can bowl garbage at times but he is a wicket taker and a lefty.And he scares them.

If he fails he gets dropped - just like everyone else?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #24
Warner and Bancrott batted extremely well on that deck as did Laburschagne in the first innings. Warner said he's never come across a pitch like it. Up and down, lots of sideways and a heap of swing both ways. The whole lot, which he said was rare.

Reply #25
I like what I see in Marnus, real effort player,  plays with real energy and application.  Wouldn't be surprised if he plays and the Goat carries the drinks.

Reply #26
Warner and Bancrott batted extremely well on that deck as did Laburschagne in the first innings. Warner said he's never come across a pitch like it. Up and down, lots of sideways and a heap of swing both ways. The whole lot, which he said was rare.

There will be a sh..tload of sandpaper sold in London next week if Warner and Bancroft get picked!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #27
There will be a sh..tload of sandpaper sold in London next week if Warner and Bancroft get picked!

First test is at Edgebaston.....in Birmingham...right in the middle of the Barmy Army/football hooligan stronghold......you reckon this scheduling was an accident ?

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #28
so it is, you get my drift nonetheless!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29
English second dig fall away rapidly as well.  There's hope.