Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 Rd 2: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 2140 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW 2019 Rd 2: Carlton vs Adelaide

Another shocker in Tassie down and our first ever Rd 1 loss. :( Hopefully the girls can regroup at home and being us back to the winner's list.
But at the moment, 2019 is not looking good.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFLW 2019 Rd 2: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #1
Teams are in for Sunday's game at Ikon Park. Hope the Blues can show more this week.

Sunday, February 10
Carlton v Adelaide at Ikon Park, 4.05pm AEDT

CARLTON

B: S.Hosking 10, K.Harrington 9, N.Stevens 21
HB: G.Pound 6, B.Davey (c) 1, L.Brazzale 12
C: G.Gee 19 
HF: M.Prespakis 4, T.Harris 7, D.Vescio 3
F: K.Bentley 13, A.Downie 30, N.Plane 32
R: B.Moody 16, K.Loynes 2, C.Dalton 15
Int: J.Hosking 11, J.Van Dyk 36, S.Audley 26, A.Barden 8, J.Edwards 25
Emerg: B.Walker, R.Watt

In: G.Gee
Out: T.Lucas-Rodd

Interesting selections this week. Davey named at CHB, with Downie and Moody changing ruck and FF. That hasn't worked so well for the boys... Tilly LR got the flick. She played poorly last week. But she wasn't alone. I hope the girls can really show improvement this week.

ADELAIDE

B: A.Foley 3, S.Allan 39, S.Thompson 14
HB: D.Cox 31, C.Randall 26, C.Cramey 22
C: E.Marinoff 10          
HF: M.Rajcic 32, A.Hatchard 33, A.Considine 16
F: C.Scheer 4, E.Phillips (c) 13, J.Mules 23
Foll: J.Foley 24, D.Varnhagen 9, R.Forth 27
I/C: H.Martin 6, M.Nankivell 12, S.Perkins 28, E.Jones 2, D.Ponter 15
Emerg: S.Li, S.Riley

In: S.Perkins, D.Ponter
Out: J.McCormick (W-League), S.Li

I'm not sure who we should play on Phillips. We don't have the tall defenders we used to have.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Teams are in for Sunday's game at Ikon Park. Hope the Blues can show more this week.

Sunday, February 10
Carlton v Adelaide at Ikon Park, 4.05pm AEDT

CARLTON

B: S.Hosking 10, K.Harrington 9, N.Stevens 21
HB: G.Pound 6, B.Davey (c) 1, L.Brazzale 12
C: G.Gee 19 
HF: M.Prespakis 4, T.Harris 7, D.Vescio 3
F: K.Bentley 13, A.Downie 30, N.Plane 32
R: B.Moody 16, K.Loynes 2, C.Dalton 15
Int: J.Hosking 11, J.Van Dyk 36, S.Audley 26, A.Barden 8, J.Edwards 25
Emerg: B.Walker, R.Watt

In: G.Gee
Out: T.Lucas-Rodd

Interesting selections this week. Davey named at CHB, with Downie and Moody changing ruck and FF. That hasn't worked so well for the boys... Tilly LR got the flick. She played poorly last week. But she wasn't alone. I hope the girls can really show improvement this week.

ADELAIDE

B: A.Foley 3, S.Allan 39, S.Thompson 14
HB: D.Cox 31, C.Randall 26, C.Cramey 22
C: E.Marinoff 10          
HF: M.Rajcic 32, A.Hatchard 33, A.Considine 16
F: C.Scheer 4, E.Phillips (c) 13, J.Mules 23
Foll: J.Foley 24, D.Varnhagen 9, R.Forth 27
I/C: H.Martin 6, M.Nankivell 12, S.Perkins 28, E.Jones 2, D.Ponter 15
Emerg: S.Li, S.Riley

In: S.Perkins, D.Ponter
Out: J.McCormick (W-League), S.Li

I'm not sure who we should play on Phillips. We don't have the tall defenders we used to have.

Play Davey down back and let her loose. She might have some extra anger at her mate being dropped.
Looks like we've tried to get some more pace in the team this week with the addition of Gee. We need it.

Tex perkins on the bench? Bit of a fall from grace.
Sophie Li as an out, too scared to play against the mob she abandoned?

Reply #3
Prespakis is s gun.

Reply #4
Prespakis is s gun.

Absolutely!  And she has a touch of mongrel  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
Better effort. We're building and remember we came from a long, long way back.

CARLTON     2.0     3.0    6.1     7.2 (44)
ADELAIDE    2.2     2.2    6.2     9.3 (57)

GOALS
Carlton: Plane 2, Loynes, Moody, Dalton, Vescio, Prespakis
Adelaide: Thompson 4, Jones 2, Phillips, Perkins, J.Foley

BEST
Carlton: Prespakis, Harrington, Pound, Plane, Barden
Adelaide: Thompson, Phillips, Hatchard, Cramey, Marinoff

INJURIES
Carlton: Harris (shoulder) replaced in selected side by Watt, S.Hosking (hip)
Adelaide: Randall (hamstring) replaced in selected side by Li

Reports: Nil

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #6
2019 looks like being another long season, for all the improvement we displayed today. :( I hate losing to these buggers.

[1] We do appear to have made some significant improvements from last year, but we still lack midfield talent, fitness and strength.
[2] We still do not make the most of ruck hit outs.
[3] Breann Moody is beginning to really annoy me.
[4] Our present team structure struggles when we don't the get the ball forward.
[5] Bree Davey is a shadow of what she was before her knee reco.
[6] I really hate that nobody has the stats for the AFLW.

OK. Before I address these points, I do have some good things to report.
[1] Maddy Prespakis is going to be a very good player for us.
[2] With our big names generally down, the lesser lights put in well.

The Players:
Sarah Hosking and Jess Hosking were reasonable without being dominant. Both had consideranble time outside the centre square and probably ended up with low teens for possessions. We really need these girls to be getting close to 20. But neither has done that yet.

Kerryn Harrington was very good for most of the game. She was excellent.

Nick Stevens didn’t have a good day and looks to be down on form and confidence. She has stagnated somewhat since she has come to us and really didn’t have much impact at all.

Gabby Pound was quite good and did some very nice things.

Bree Davey is struggling to have an impact. She showed her class a couple of times, but considering what she can do, she was well down.
To be honest, I am not expecting a big year from Bree: Darcy Vescio struggled last year after having a poor preparation due to injury and it looks like Davey is following in her footsteps. She isn’t fit enough to play much time in the midfield.

Lauren Brazzale was OK, but definitely not as effective as last week.

Georgia Gee has improved. She has worked on her body strength and just doesn’t get moved away from the ball as easily. Mind you, she could still do with an extra 10 Kg of muscle. She showed some nice things and her kicking looked quite fluent. She has some way to go, but there was enough to get interested in today’s game.

Maddy Prespakis wasn’t dominant for all of her 20+ possessions, but she made some nice centre clearances. Her kicking and decision making were really good; she has a great feel for the game and was probably our best player.
However, she wasn’t dominating in the middle. Hopefully that will come in time. Her other issue is that she is no speed demon. Hopefully the rest of her game will make up for that.

Tayla Harris didn’t play and we really missed her. A couple of big marks from Tayla and the result could well have been different.

Darcy Vescio had another quiet game, but playing so near goal, she is only going to dominate if we get the ball near her enough and we didn’t. I would like to see Darcy leading more, but we also have to be able to hit targets and we have some way to go to be able to manage that consistently. The other thing is that Darcy is rarely managing to be one out against opponents. When we were dominating from the centre (early in the 3rd quarter), our forwards had some room and scored quickly. Darcy showed her class with a really great snap.

Kirby Bentley did OK but did not dominate. Maybe 10 possessions?

Alison Downie started like a house on fire but tired. She was brilliant in the ruck early and did some nice things around the ground. But the possessions dried up after half time and her opponents got on top.
Still, she is going considerably better than she did last year.

Nat Plane was excellent and was easily one of our best. In the past she couldn’t get the ball enough, but she did much better in that respect and her kicking and marking has improved a lot.

Breann Moody: she is an enigma and she is really irritating at the moment. She has so much athleticism, but she isn’t using it. Her feel for the game just isn’t there. She didn’t spend a lot of time in the ruck and Adelaide got 3 goals when she was there. She didn’t take a mark, contested or otherwise. She kicked a nice goal and showed flashes of brilliance, but she just doesn’t know what she is doing. I wonder what her stamina is like, as she gives up the chase far too easily and she lets her opponent run off her far too easily. She is fumbling, not holding her marks and make poor decisions.
I was really frustrated as she was one of our better players last year. However, she is really down at the moment and lack of football background is really showing. I really want to see her attack the ball and any opponent who may have it.

Katie Loynes didn’t have a great game, but she gives her all. How she doesn’t get more frees will always be a mystery to me.

Chloe Dalton was good today. Her run and carry was nice, she did some nice moves to break tackles and her kicking wasn’t bad at all. Not a dominant game, but one that showed real promise.

Jayde van Dyke also had a pretty good game. Her pace was nice to see. The way she read the game was excellent. In fact, until the Crows started pin point passing late in the game, the way our defence structured up as really good.

Shae Audley didn’t have a great game. She was OK, but struggled late in the game. Early on she was pretty decent.

Amelia Mullane was much better this week, in defence and on the ball. She was pretty effective and one of our better players.

Jess Edwards had another shut down role. She was very good in the first half, but she struggled after half time. A learning experience.

Rhiannon Watt came in for Tayla Harris and showed a bit. She wasn’t sighted after about half way through the 3rd quarter, but she showed some good things before that. Her mobility for a tall was excellent and her ball handling was good. However, she struggled in the ruck: she is willowy and mobile and the taller Crows pushed her around too easily. However, when we were good, she often had a hand in what we did.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Some good summaries Crash, largely agree, but i'll add a few things where i differ.

Bri Davey......she is better running in straight lines where she can attack the footy. They said last week that we need 3 of her, 1 for each area of the ground, and we do. However, midfield is not her gig. Yes, she will do better than most, but you're only getting 70% of her ability. Forward might help the team structure best, but again, i think you are still only getting about 85-90% of what she can do. Down back, you get 100% Bri Davey. She attacks the ball like no other (none her size at least) and takes the game on, can kick the ball long and accurately. None of which any of her replacements can do.

Watt....late call up for Harris and did quite well. I was impressed with her efforts and i reckon she should keep her spot next week to allow some team versatility.

Moody....personally, i think she is overrated. She spent 5 months of the off-season overseas and hasn't really knuckled down like some others have. She is not very agile, has a shocking kicking action and reminds me of Harry Madden, without the rucking ability.

Plane....was her best game for us. Never rated her last year and despite improving remarkably, i thought she was relatively lucky today. Right place, right time type stuff....mainly through dumb luck, than good management (see Prespakis misskick at goal)

Mullane....Barden.....whoever the hell she is. Sort it out. On the coverage they refer to her as Mullane. On the stats/ranking she is Barden. On the club website she is Mullane. In the bests in the report she is Barden. Amateur hour there. Decent game though.

Dalton will be a player. Still learning the game, but has the pace and courage to do well.

Van Dyke i'm not sold on yet. Barely noticeable mostly.

Bentley i did notice. Thought she did VERY well on some tough opponents. Was matched up on both Tex Perkins and Erin Phillips throughout the day, and wasn't disgraced against either.

Edwards....good user of the ball, smart player, tough gigs. We've found one there.

Gee.....starting to show that promise we were told she has. I was a fan of hers last year, and she is a better player this year.

....Sophie Li.....it was hard seeing her sing the song at the end (even if she didn't know all the words) but i was put at ease during the game after she shirked at least a few contests. Cest la vie.

At least it was a much improved performance this week. Onto the next one..

Reply #8
I was at the game on Sunday. It was my first AFLW game. A few general observations.
Adelaide Crow supporters who follow their Women's team are just as stupid as those who follow their Men's team.
It is a different crowd that comes to the AFLW games.
Princess Park needs to be upgraded if it is going to be the Showpiece for AFLW. It is good to see State and Federal money being committed, but there needs to be really serious money.The ground needs more than just an upgrade but it needs a total rebuild.
I think the AFL should really commit to the competition with a proper fixture rather than pretending as they are now and using it as a marketing exercise.
To the game itself:
In the warm up I thought the Adelaide players were bigger and stronger and demonstrated better ball handling than our girls and when they lined up this also seemed to be the case. The umpires crucified us in the first half but were more even in the second half. I thought Brie Davies struggled to get to enough contests at CHF, but Harford's post match explanation about coming off a knee reconstruction gives that context. Adelaide are clearly more developed having had three pre-seasons together whereas Carlton had a change of direction after last season. I think that showed half way through the third quarter where Adelaide's size, fitness and cohesion meant they were able to over-run Carlton. I think Darcy Vescio has good football instincts which will become the norm as more girls come through the systems. I thought 9 goals to 7 was a good game, which is better than some of the games I have seen on TV, I just wish the scores were round the other way

Reply #9
I was at the game on Sunday. It was my first AFLW game. A few general observations.
Adelaide Crow supporters who follow their Women's team are just as stupid as those who follow their Men's team.
It is a different crowd that comes to the AFLW games.
Princess Park needs to be upgraded if it is going to be the Showpiece for AFLW. It is good to see State and Federal money being committed, but there needs to be really serious money.The ground needs more than just an upgrade but it needs a total rebuild.
I think the AFL should really commit to the competition with a proper fixture rather than pretending as they are now and using it as a marketing exercise.
To the game itself:
In the warm up I thought the Adelaide players were bigger and stronger and demonstrated better ball handling than our girls and when they lined up this also seemed to be the case. The umpires crucified us in the first half but were more even in the second half. I thought Brie Davies struggled to get to enough contests at CHF, but Harford's post match explanation about coming off a knee reconstruction gives that context. Adelaide are clearly more developed having had three pre-seasons together whereas Carlton had a change of direction after last season. I think that showed half way through the third quarter where Adelaide's size, fitness and cohesion meant they were able to over-run Carlton. I think Darcy Vescio has good football instincts which will become the norm as more girls come through the systems. I thought 9 goals to 7 was a good game, which is better than some of the games I have seen on TV, I just wish the scores were round the other way
You are not the only one.
Live Long and Prosper!