Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues Practice Match Called off (Read 7815 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues Practice Match Called off

Reply #15
Back in the day, West Heidelberg and Preston were two of the roughest, meanest suburbs around. That pub near the corner of Oriel Rd and Bell St (name escapes me, there is an Aldi there now) was insanely violent.

I think "South of Bell St" has almost become trendy/expensive now following several years of gentrification.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
Wasn't it the Olympic?   It was, without doubt,  the sh1ttest, most violent,  low brow drinking establishment in Australia.   Utter dump.  

Almost certain if you parked there you would be offered a cheap car stereo, which would have been nicked within five minutes of leaving the vehicle.

The flats next door are on par with the Bronx,  the sleazier parts of Jo'burg or some gang infested South American slum city.   The cops don't even go there.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #17
The Olympic is still operating, cnr Albert St.

Reply #18
Yep....Heidelberg the suburb is fine and I can recommend the "Old England " pub for a meal....
Heidelberg West isnt somewhere I'd visit late at night....is that cream brick police station in waterdale rd manned, never seen a copper anywhere near it?

Grew up in the "mean streets" of Ivanhoe (the Eaglemont / East Ivanhoe part), so can't really comment :D

Reply #19
Wasn't it the Olympic?   It was, without doubt,  the sh1ttest, most violent,  low brow drinking establishment in Australia.   Utter dump.  

Almost certain if you parked there you would be offered a cheap car stereo, which would have been nicked within five minutes of leaving the vehicle.

The flats next door are on par with the Bronx,  the sleazier parts of Jo'burg or some gang infested South American slum city.   The cops don't even go there.
No, it was the Colosseum and it burnt down thankfully. Wandered into the public bar one night to meet workmates for drinks after work and knew right away I was not in a nice place, turns out they were all in the restaurant bar at the front but forgot to tell the new guy, I didn't make that mistake again.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #20
I think "South of Bell St" has almost become trendy/expensive now following several years of gentrification.

The aptly named ‘Coliseum’. Heidelberg Heights has gone gangbusters pricewise. Give West Heidelberg 8-10 years. It is too close to the city to stay derelict. Long term buyers bargains to be had. (Who would have lived in  Collingwood 20 years ago??)

Reply #21
There were a lot of rumours going around about the ????.

Reply #22
The aptly named ‘Coliseum’. Heidelberg Heights has gone gangbusters pricewise. Give West Heidelberg 8-10 years. It is too close to the city to stay derelict. Long term buyers bargains to be had. (Who would have lived in  Collingwood 20 years ago??)

Yep. I think things are already beginning to stir in "West Heidy". I first witnessed the situation there in the seventies (I lived just off Waiora Rd) and it was definitely a "Fort Apache the Bronx" world then. Many parts of it are now under gentrification and even the old Olympic Village properties are being sold off and renovated. The recent general market softening may even speed things up there.

Reply #24
Yep. I think things are already beginning to stir in "West Heidy". I first witnessed the situation there in the seventies (I lived just off Waiora Rd) and it was definitely a "Fort Apache the Bronx" world then. Many parts of it are now under gentrification and even the old Olympic Village properties are being sold off and renovated. The recent general market softening may even speed things up there.

Liked the shops across the road from the Olympic Village area, my kids played a few basketball games there at the village, weird old stadium....the shops were nearly all closed
and covered in corrugated tin sheets...looked like an area that had seen war.....

Reply #26
I spent a lot of time at a mate's place in Liberty Parade when I was in my mid teens.  I was amazed at how quickly the word spread that I was from Coburg.  We'd be wandering the streets and 3 or 4 Sharpies would approach and grunt, "You're the Coburg boy?" before stalking off.  It didn't encourage any interest from the local girls though ... and that was probably a good thing.

I survived unscathed, apart from the mental scars  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
Sharpie wasn't referring to their intellectual ability.

Reply #28
There used to be an American Military camp just over the road from the zoo, called CAMP PHELL.  You may recall the BROWN OUT MURDERER came from there.  When the yanks left, the dregs of society were housed in the former barracks.  They kept the barbed wire fence up (locals said to keep the residents in)  After the Olympics the government thought it best to split the inmates up - so half went to Broadmeadows and the other half to the former Olympic Village, thus creating two problem areas.   >:D  >:D >:D  The former military camp was quickly torn down.

Reply #29
There used to be an American Military camp just over the road from the zoo, called CAMP PHELL.  You may recall the BROWN OUT MURDERER came from there.  When the yanks left, the dregs of society were housed in the former barracks.  They kept the barbed wire fence up (locals said to keep the residents in)  After the Olympics the government thought it best to split the inmates up - so half went to Broadmeadows and the other half to the former Olympic Village, thus creating two problem areas.   >:D  >:D >:D  The former military camp was quickly torn down.

Some of my relos were in that camp Chalky ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball