Skip to main content
Topic: SSM Plebiscite (Read 112528 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Father's Day ad pulled!

Reply #60
Is it though?

Should I just believe you because you are telling me it is?

I dont like being told what to believe.

It reminds me of living in a fascist dictatorship.

Can I assume that as a self declared practicing Christian, you'll be voting no, assuming you do indeed vote ?

Reply #61
<deleted>
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #62
Can I assume that as a self declared practicing Christian, you'll be voting no, assuming you do indeed vote ?

You are on a slippery slope PaulP, why introduce religion?

Thry has the right to hold any religion and belief he likes as long as it operates within the laws of the land, and nobody better than yourself should know that!

All you need to go over the edge is introduce racism!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
You are on a slippery slope PaulP, why introduce religion?

Thry has the right to hold any religion and belief he likes as long as it operates within the laws of the land, and nobody better than yourself should know that!

All you need to go over the edge is introduce racism!

It's a very simple question - I have no power over Thry or anyone else on these forums - if he declines to answer, that's ok by me.

Reply #64
It's a very simple question - I have no power over Thry or anyone else on these forums - if he declines to answer, that's ok by me.

You ask that question with motive.

It's not a relevant because as you know there are people on both sides of the argument in every valid religion.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
You ask that question with motive.

It's not a relevant because as you know there are people on both sides of the argument in every valid religion.

I ask every question with only one motive, which is to hopefully receive an answer.

Reply #66
Not sure why this was put to a vote when they should have just implemented it and then on the other hand we have disgraceful councils scrapping Australia Day off their own bat.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #67
Not sure why this was put to a vote when they should have just implemented it and then on the other hand we have disgraceful councils scrapping Australia Day off their own bat.

In reality the councils are scrapping Australia Day for one reason, money!

It costs them a crap load of cash each year to run and administer the activities, and they are happy to be without them by using a few select political opinions as the excuse!

The Feds and Turnbull made an error, they should not have fined them, they should have cut their funding and you would have seen a brace of instant about-faces!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68

You can assume what you like. 

I can honestly state I am more than a yes than no vote, although like MIO has stated, I don't like the way this has played out.  It seems "unfair".

Christianity to me has not dictated my vote.  Why?  Simple.  Marriage predates Christianity.  Dowry's were paid, marriages were generally arranged for family status, yada yada yada yada.  We don't do much in modern society based on what we did prior to religion anyway, so to me that is something that is tied to dogma and how people perceive religion rather than what the actual religion is supposed to teach you.  This tells me that Atheists really have not understood what religion is all about but thats a seperate topic which I don't think we will ever debate properly as its all about who wishes to push a belief onto someone else, and that is due to the way in which interpretation works.  So I leave that out of this argument.

Irrespective, my Christian faith actually pushes me more to vote Yes than no.  Why? many would look at me befuddled and like I have no idea, but there is sound logic there.  For me, anyone that believes that God created the earth and all life, did so for a purpose.  That purpose is unclear and something I believe we will find out in due course, but extrapolating that further into a specific example, one of the kids from my primary school was as queer as queer can be and he would have been in grade 1 (apologies for the terminology to anyone who might be offended in advance, I frankly don't know how to paint the picture appropriately).  The mannerisms, the speech, the inflections on the voice that seems to be quite common among the homosexual community was very clear for all to see.  Even at such a young age as 7, not many are going to know much about these things, but I had seen enough Julian Cleary on television to understand that landscape enough to know that this guy was destined to join that community.  Primary school ended, I went to high school, and as is common you lose touch with most of the kids from primary school if they go to another school.  My cousin started working at a telecommunications company and was having discussion with me about this guy who was out of the closet.  Lets not pretend in the 90's that this was common in workplaces, it was uncommon.  Irrespective, he told me this guys name, and I was not surprised to hear it was the same kid from primary school.  Sure enough what we all knew 12 years earlier, happened to become true and that he grew up to become a homosexual.

Now, this led me to ask some serious questions about why.  I cannot for the life of me understand why people would choose to go that way.  It goes against everything in my being and what I think and feel is the right way to live your life (which is why I think so many people would be more no than yes).  So that leads me to think that the Homosexual community were created as they are to teach us in society about something that God intended us to learn.  Applying Christian dogma (do unto others as you would have them do unto you) I have arrived at the result, that this community exists to show us how evil we human beings can truly be to each other.  It changes nothing to do with me, or my existence as to whether or not gay people marry.  So I am more likely to vote yes than no.

This argument needs debate.  Logical, constructed debate.  Not, emotive, intolerant of opinions, beliefs, stigma etc.

IMHO the less debate it faces, and some of it will be really hurtful stuff, which needs to be buried with facts and logical counter argument, not simple dismissal of others based on preconceived ideas, you would be surprised on how much traction the yes vote will actually achieve.  The side asserts itself so proudly that it cant possibly be wrong, yet seems to be very scared of simple logical debate, and part of me thinks that its based on emotion.  There is an entire demographic of people who leave emotion at the door when making decisions, and those people are males.  48% (minus whatever demographic of people will vote yes, because they want the rights in their community).

At the end of the day, the YES campaign would do well to read the tea leaves a little.  The only votes that they are likely to get from those not from their community come from the 30 something% of people who identify as Atheist on the 2016 census.

So PaulP, I think I have answered your question somewhat.  I don't know how this is going to pan out.  I know a No vote, will simply mean the status quo (like MBB's feed I am very over it) will remain, but I honestly don't think Yes will get up, particularly if current form continues.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #69
Paul you are taking away people's right to determine their own thoughts by belittling those who chose no.
That is the nonsense that I am saying has frustrated me to the point of no longer supporting a vote.

You have crossed a line there from stating your empathy for those who have not had this right, so then denigrating people right to chose what they believe.
It is okay for someone to vote no, because they believe marriage is exclusively a union between man and woman.
That actually is OK for someone to believe.

They can't be bullied into believing otherwise, they can however be legislated into accepting an alternative.

You have stated that you ask only one question, yet you ask it cynically when added with our other posts.

I find you a fairly even poster Paul, but I 100% disagree with the way you address this topic (as I am sure you 100% disagree with my reasons for abstaining), whilst not disagreeing with your motive or really your vote.

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #70
Thry, that's a pretty impressive and heartfelt post. Thanks for replying.

Reply #71
Thry, that's a pretty impressive and heartfelt post. Thanks for replying.

No worries.

As you can see, I seek only to understand with my questions.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #72
No worries.

As you can see, I seek only to understand with my questions.

No doubt. I hope all that questioning leads you to vote yes. A yes vote is a vote for a better and more equitable society. And plus, as Jerry Seinfeld put it, "You have no idea how your life is gonna improve as a result of this. Food tastes better. The air seems fresher. You'll have more energy and self confidence than you ever dreamed of."  :P

Reply #73
And plus, as Jerry Seinfeld put it, "You have no idea how your life is gonna improve as a result of this. Food tastes better. The air seems fresher. You'll have more energy and self confidence than you ever dreamed of."

Take away his $90M/year average income and see if he still thinks that! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
The irony is this is only issue where the hardcore Christians and fanatical Muslims will probably agree.....complete waste of money and a political stunt.
I dont care either way or who marries who...what annoys me is that I walk past homeless street people everyday with numbers increasing, there is a bloke with a bad haircut planning to nuke half the world and here in Aus we have this as the major issue?
Sick and tired of hearing about it from either side to be honest......