Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 16: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 25688 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 16: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #135
I’m the ceo that you have wet dreams about kido !
Two way street...

Well you best revise your posting history because it certainly won't enhance your resume! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #136
Well you best revise your posting history because it certainly won't enhance your resume! ;)

Give it up and go back to your faraday cage !  :o
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #137
Give it up and go back to your faraday cage !  :o

You can cast aspersions all you like, once you start that rubbish you've already lost, you won't get a bite from me!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #138
You can cast aspersions all you like, once you start that rubbish you've already lost, you won't get a bite from me!

This is what you accuse the media of doing !
And here you are doing it me !
I’ll just join the throng who don’t bother with your postings anymore...  :-X
Xo
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #139
This is what you accuse the media of doing !
And here you are doing it me !
I’ll just join the throng who don’t bother with your postings anymore...  :-X
Xo

I differentiate between the behaviour of media entities and the behaviour of individuals.

When Barry Hall's comments went to air, the audio had to pass through the scrutiny of a number of individuals before it was broadcast. Most of them scurried like rats when the Barrett laughter came to light!

When Ling commented on Lamb, and reviewed the video live to air multiple times, there is a whole broadcast crew working on making that happen. But in that case Ling has the opportunity to choose his words, in the end Lamb gets banned for a media driven his opinion and will play the rest of his career with the stigma of an eye gouger even though he actually didn't!

Given our club history, will we stand up for him?

btw., How soft Christian, wording the charge as "eye region", the MRP(Christian) fully folded and influenced by the media! But apparently that doesn't happen and never happens, even to our our lowly struggling club! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
Yes, it appears the evidence was not really there....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #141
Ah the classic jumper debate.

I don't have an aversion to the alternative strips.

I certainly don't have such a distaste that most seem to.

I do know that every single jumper that comes out has those in favour of it, and those against it.

For the record, i think this jumper was greeted with the most amount of acceptance over previous versions.
I also think jumper sales would not be a good indication, as i don't think many people are buying much Carlton merch at present, regardless of what it looks like.

The difficulty I have is young supporters can't really identify with those club colours after they're scrapped for the next and latest incarnation.  They're a cheap marketing exercise and though I hate Richmond, they should have never been compelled to wear their clash guernsey in the GF.  Collingwood hasn't succumbed anywhere near the level others have

Reply #142
The difficulty I have is young supporters can't really identify with those club colours after they're scrapped for the next and latest incarnation.  They're a cheap marketing exercise and though I hate Richmond, they should have never been compelled to wear their clash guernsey in the GF.  Collingwood hasn't succumbed anywhere near the level others have

It could be worse....

Reply #143
At least Carlton and Collingwood steered clear of this nonsense in the McCAllum cup

Reply #144
At least Carlton and Collingwood steered clear of this nonsense in the McCAllum cup

Is publicly supporting the fight against breast cancer nonsense?

What does Roughead think about supporting the fight against a cancer with a pink striped jumper?

You do know some of our most loathed one off alternative jumpers that while promoting a corporation had a charitable cause attached. The changing of the jumper typically has a requirement for charity attached before the AFL grants a permit to have the jumper changed. They would not approved the special alternatives strips without the attached charitable cause. Clubs have no choice in this, they signed the rights to logos and jumpers over the the AFL many years ago because individual clubs are just not big enough to defend the trademarks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #145
The jumper discussion is obviously a diversion and i’m Ok with that - stops me potting the players which is becoming increasingly difficult.

Once again we’ve been led by developments overseas - clash strips are de rigour for all other codes with the European clubs leading the way. Yes, it’s a cynical marketing exercise (witness the frenzy on eBay when the top English clubs release their strips for the coming season) but it’s really driven by TV.

There’s no going back now that Richmond accepted the directive and acquiesced last year (and won - that helps!). I also think it’s not too much to ask if it helps those who may be visually impaired.

It will be fascinating to see if Gil tries to tell Eddie to switch it up. I actually did have a bit of trouble when we played them a few weeks ago. The black on their backs should be white when they play us.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #146

What does Roughead think about supporting the fight against a cancer with a pink striped jumper?

You do know some of our most loathed one off alternative jumpers that while promoting a corporation had a charitable cause attached. The changing of the jumper typically has a requirement for charity attached before the AFL grants a permit to have the jumper changed. They would not approved the special alternatives strips without the attached charitable cause. Clubs have no choice in this, they signed the rights to logos and jumpers over the the AFL many years ago because individual clubs are just not big enough to defend the trademarks.

Do your eyes work?

Its not about the charity, its about the design and the colour clash it brings.

Freddy Kreuger was chosen to wear a red and green striped jumper (Geelong horizontal style) because the writer/director Wes Craven read a study about the 2 colours being seen against eachother making people uncomfortable. There is some kids saying that says similar about 'red and green should not be seen together unless there is a colour inbetween' or something like that.
Simply the mere appearance of those colours together gets you off-side.

Its similar to that jumper.

That doesn't mean you can't find a jumper that represents the same thing.
Brisbane have similar colours and managed to find a good comprimise for their AFLW jumper. Hawks could do similar with their white jumper with a hawk on it.

Funnily enough i suggested years ago that we have the best jumper for the cause as we can use an all pink alternative with the CFC monogram and still be instantly recognisable.

So don't bring 'the cause' into this. Focus on the product being presented.
I don't think our saints clash jumper is half as bad as people make out.
Most people opposed to it are opposed to the idea and will use the argument no matter what we come up with.

Reply #147
The Hawks jumper they wore against Brisbane is an abomination, it's no wonder that they lost the game.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #148
So don't bring 'the cause' into this. Focus on the product being presented.

They are intimately connected, what you or I think is irrelevant, there is a message attached to some of those jumpers.

The Dawks jumper image you made comment on is a limited use targeted charitable strip, not a valid part of an argument about general use alternative strips, it is an extremist example.

As for alternate strips, clubs submit any number of options to the AFL, only the AFL has the power to decide which are approved. Why the AFL hasn't acted on Collingwood is a very different question. Some argued Carlton should do the same, but I suppose Collingwood isn't financially underwritten by the AFL like Carlton, who would have thought some external influence might have such effects! It must be a conspiracy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #149

Did I say that?  Both Carlton and Collingwood wore (wear) tributes on their jumpers and promoted the cause of the CLINIC as did the media.  It's been 20 matches thus far between the two clubs.  You're not to know but I've lost three family members in the last  two years to cancer ... prostate, breast, and recently, brain.  Think please before you press "enter".  I contribute to all three causes