Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2020 season (Read 6068 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2020 season

Reply #15
Go Tayla I say. I had a chat with Lucy Mcevoy a few days ago, she is champing at the bit, has been doing all of her preseason training with the midfield, can't wait for Round 1

Reply #16
I'm sure they'll test her ability to avoid suspension, God help her if she gets in a scuffle and hooks somebody, that'll leave her fodder for Danger's MRP!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
It seems that the failure of the expansion teams to record a win in round 1 has brought out the anti-AFLW trolls with a vengeance  ::)

I heard a bloke on the wireless today claiming that the money the AFL is pumping into the AFLW means that grass roots footy is under-funded and is withering on the vine.  Trigger and Alister Nicholson didn't pull him up, which was a little disappointing, but (a) the amount of money the AFL is "pumping" into the AFLW is minuscule in terms of the AFL budget and (b) grass roots footy now involves girls and boys.  Furthermore, the problems with grass roots footy are a lot more complex than AFL funding.

I appreciate that AFLW is not everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine.  If you don't like it, don't watch it ... and don't bitch about it.

PS Virginia revealed today that Swan McKay gave her the "Trigger" nickname and she seems quite proud both of the nickname and its creator.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
Furthermore, the problems with grass roots footy are a lot more complex than AFL funding.
Yep, the interwebs, video games and drugs are killing grass roots and junior sport.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
It was interesting listening to Kez Harrington on the wireless last night.  She said that in previous seasons they had a game plan and would follow it regardless.  This season the game plan is more flexible and is changed to counter opposition tactics.  I guess it reflects the evolution of the women’s game and Harf’s growing confidence in his team.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
It was interesting listening to Kez Harrington on the wireless last night.  She said that in previous seasons they had a game plan and would follow it regardless.  This season the game plan is more flexible and is changed to counter opposition tactics.  I guess it reflects the evolution of the women’s game and Harf’s growing confidence in his team.

....and the improved skill level of the girls playing it. ;)

I've heard someone within the club speak about their game plan and how comfortable they are playing with it against any side/style. Perhaps the flexibility is a large part of that confidence.

Reply #22
I can't believe Harris made that tweet.  Talk about throwing away any high ground.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #24
Talk about a storm in a tea cup. Did anyone hear Livingstone interviewed the next day... very contrite. She went over the top and made a mistake - yawn. Harf thought it was funny and so did most of us... just fuel for the next Baggers v Dagpies clash.

As for Tayla's response... oh dear, what were you thinking, Tayla! Better start kicking more goals from GBGs real soon!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #25
I was going You Say something prior to last round but never got around to it.

However, after looking through the coaches votes this week it has reminded me.

So....here is a list of former carlton players who got votes this week.
Davey (coll)
Lucas-rodd (stk)
Gillespie-Jones (nm)
Privitelli (gws)
Gay (mel)
Watts (stk)

There is also another 10 or so players that are playing more often than not as well.
Ivey (geel)
Exon (stk)
Arnell (bris)
Keryk (geel)
Shierlaw (stk)
Grieve (fre)
Hardiman (nm)
Nestor (nn)
Li (ade)
Brown (stk)

You could fill a side with our former players.
There is probably another 10 that have played elsewhere and been delisted as well.

Reply #26
I see that the AFLW tigers are a chip off the old block.   Don't want to see that kind of crap. Four weeks I reckon.   Not a footballing "action" and off the ball on a prone opponent - very weak stuff.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #27
I see that the AFLW tigers are a chip off the old block.  Don't want to see that kind of crap. Four weeks I reckon.  Not a footballing "action" and off the ball on a prone opponent - very weak stuff.
 There was some questionable incidents against us from that mob. 

Is it a case of if you can't beat them, make them earn it?

Reply #28
Dockers got out of jail yet again. This time against the doggies. Last week against the saints.

Dockers kicked 4 goals to 1 in the last to run over the doggies and maintain top spot in our division.

In other news, Crows lost to Giants which means they are basically a 1 in a million chance of making finals now. Needed those above them to lose the last 2 games, they must win both......and by plenty to make up the % on top of that.

Reply #29
I understand Prespakis and Harris getting into the 2020 AFLW Team of the Year.

But, how the feck doesn't Harrington get a run?

Harrington must be easily "The most in form defender" for the whole competition! She hasn't had a lot of games in which she was a contender for BoG, but for consistency week in and week out she must be close to the first picked!

It's just another sign the AFL do not take AFLW seriously.

Anyway, for Carlton girls it sounds like it's the Choccy Frog award that they want!
The Force Awakens!