Skip to main content
Topic: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing) (Read 117571 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing)

Reply #210
Thomas is gone so there's one running spot and there aren't any A graders lining up for it.
Boekhurst or Buckley I guess but nothing to get too excited about,  if they start picking Ellard again I'm off to Yemen.

Ellard is miles ahead of Clem at this stage.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #211
I want to see Wiley and Buckley in next week. Wiley is a raving lunatic just like Robinson, but 10 times better as player. Goes in hard, doesn't give an inch.

Buckley is an attacking half back with great skills.

At least those two should be in.

Mick will probably give Jones another go, but his marking was terrible and he has no idea how to read the game. Even out of form as mick said, I'd prefer Casboult any day.

Reply #212
Ellard is miles ahead of Clem at this stage.

True,  but Clem can improve whereas Ellard is as good as he's ever going to be.
Does anyone but the most one eyed Carlton supporter truly believe that Davey would be on anyone else's list?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #213
F*** me. We lose one game and it turns into a 'Fev was hard done by' thread.

Fev realised that he needed to leave the club why is it that nobody else can?

Reply #214
It really was disheartening to watch our top players, our leaders, falter and wither last night. You could tell in the Stands when the Tigers started their charge...it was palpable. Clear as daylight.

And yet our Captain, and Gibbs, where no shows. Literally.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the excuse that he might be injured. Don't play injured players. Says a lot of our lack of depth that we have to play players in round 1 who are not altogether 100%. You watch, we'll bring back Kreuzer and he'll limp out in that game. Guaranteed.

Murphy was picked as a marketing gimmick. People need to realize that you don't automatically pick the most talented (potentially) player for the most important role. You pick on Character. Sheer bloody mindedness to put your head over anyone or anything for your Club. Not once did I see Murphy crack it with anyone. He has no presence at all. NONE. Murphy is to us what Daily was to a rampant Collingwood - Cream. When Murphy saunters near the Forward 50 he is fantastic at picking out and setting up players. Simply put, the longer the game evolves, the smaller and ineffective he becomes in the middle. He should not be in there..certainly not there if he is to be an inspiration to others while getting swatted aside. It looks pathetic.

We raised this last year, about needing more extroverted players and a leader. I don't buy into that. Some of the most effective leaders in and outside the game, inspire and lead without opening their mouths. They lead by example. Its buying into the plan and sticking to it by having faith with the Coach and Captain.

I was utterly distraught sitting there watching us make the Tigers look like a good side. I'm sorry, but they are ordinary..not top 4. If they get their, I'd be very, very surprised. Which makes our lack of pluck so sad.

Things I took out of the game last night.

1. We picked too many one paced players. We need to get Buckley, Boekhorst and Graham in. They are the future. The fact that a slow, dithering Carrots gets a game means that we are not building a side at all. He is past it. Has he ever kicked the ball within 5 seconds of receiving it and allowing the opposition to get set up? Graham needs the game time. As does Buckley.
2. Lack of Character in the playing group. I get the feeling that if we are 0-3 or worse and we are no chance of getting inside the 8, which you can pretty much lock in, that we'll get a new coach and begin a true 3-5 year rebuild. Malthouse has cleared out a lot of dead wood, I'll give him that. But I tell you what, young Boekhorst better be some player or that round 1 selection looks horrendous. Was he not played due to injury? Simply put, I'll repeat what I and others have said time and time again: Play on performance, not on seniority. If you don't play well, hello Northern Blues. ANY PLAYER. 0 Exception. That will instill some spirit and desire.
3. Malthouse needs to go. I want a rebuild, with a new coach. Get Clarkson and sign him up and let him who whatever the hell he wants. He has proven that he gets results. Can you imagine the players not performing under him. You'd soil yourself from his dressing down. Then again, the results would instill loyalty. It's time to go shopping for a new, innovative coach, who is giving a mandate to rebuild. It's up to the President and CEO to make that call and realise that we are more likely to get back to the club we were by starting fresh that we are dithering around the edges. Look at the Doggies...4-5 new kids make some difference. They are good to watch too.
4. Henderson needs to go back permanently and we need to bring back the Bolt. Hendo, as much as he wants to, is not a leading Forward...but he is bloody good in the backline. We all know it. We also need to pray for young Giles to get well..I fear that Jammo is getting to the stage where only has 1 or 2 years left. His glass shoulders don't help either.
5. I want the kids played. Literally. Stuff the senior players. Shame them. You don't play for yourself. You play for a club. You play for me and everyone on this Forum, you play for every poor bugger out there working on $15 an hour shoveling crap, every Kid, every Grandparent, every single one who has a piece of Carlton in them. Remind them of that. Buckley, Watson, Cripps, Graham, Boekhorst, Tutt, Whiley. Pump games into them. What is the point of maybe winning games with players who will not be around when next we challenge..what's the point..? None. 
6. Murphy needs to be stripped of the Captaincy. It sends a GOOD message. not a bad one. It shakes things up. He simply is not the man for the job. Don't kid yourself that things will improve with him as a pretender. Potential Captains? Only 2 of them. And no, Simmo and Carrots are not the future. So no to them.
Henderson - as CHB. Natural leader, who is also articulate in front of the camera. Also good way to retain him without selling the Ranch.
White consistently performs to his absolute potential, follows instructions and most importantly - will not step back. I like that. In fact I love that he does that. Saw him give it to Martin last night. Cheered me up.
Cripps - As a special mention. Maybe, just maybe in a couple years he will be a bonafide leader. For now, leave him be to learn as much as he can.

It has come to the stage already that I cannot see a silver lining with Malthouse and Murphy leading. We need both gone and Trigg to hire a truly inspirational new Coach with a mandate to start fresh. Trade Kreuzer, Walker, Gibbs, Murphy...do it. Do it this year. Get as many 1st and 2nd round picks and get those Mids and true Key Forward. Just don't trade Hendo nor Menzel unless its for a true Key Forward or Bontempelli like Mid. That is where we are hurting the most. The amount of times they bombed it in from the second quarter...I knew we'd loose. No plan, no inspiration on or off the field. No character. Time for Trigg to have a quiet word with replacement coaches and tell SoS to start writing his shopping list up.
Keep the Faith

Reply #215
Don't let the fact that Fev was completely off the rails and incapable of playing football in 2011 get in the way of a good story.

Maybe not have been if he was still in Victoria near his family. Even in 2010, injured, couldn't run, unfit, he still kicked 49 goals from 15-16 games.

Culture didn't improve getting rid of him. Off field stuff is overrated. Collingwood and West Coast had ordinary ones and won flags. On field culture is more important and we don't have that. We did well getting Henderson for Fev though from a future perspective at the time but once again we botched the draft pick that come with it. We got Lucas instead of Talia.

Reply #216
I want to see Wiley and Buckley in next week. Wiley is a raving lunatic just like Robinson, but 10 times better as player. Goes in hard, doesn't give an inch.

Buckley is an attacking half back with great skills.

At least those two should be in.

Mick will probably give Jones another go, but his marking was terrible and he has no idea how to read the game. Even out of form as mick said, I'd prefer Casboult any day.

Yes, yes and yes.

Jones will then be better as a 3rd tall. Be handy too when Walker comes back and can player forward. Maybe can rotate with Menzel in the midfield. Got speed, got a tank, we drafter Walker as a mid, maybe 11 years later we may actually try him there.

Reply #217
Maybe not have been if he was still in Victoria near his family. Even in 2010, injured, couldn't run, unfit, he still kicked 49 goals from 15-16 games.

Culture didn't improve getting rid of him. Off field stuff is overrated. Collingwood and West Coast had ordinary ones and won flags. On field culture is more important and we don't have that. We did well getting Henderson for Fev though from a future perspective at the time but once again we botched the draft pick that come with it. We got Lucas instead of Talia.

There it is folks. That is a selection from Jims Greatest Hits in a nuthsell folks.

Track 1 - Fev should not go anywhere.
A passionate song, albeit ill conceived. A pop song that got stuck in peoples heads because it had a certain ring to it. In reality there is little depth to its message and it doesn't hold up over time.

Track 2 - Lucas ahead of Talia
That old song that you thought you liked maybe once upon a time, but its been played so many times that it just $hits you up the wall everytime you hear it.

Track 3 - Goals are all that matters
The follow up to track 1. It's about here that you realise that there is very little variety between tracks. They all sound the same. Again, overplayed and overhyped lacking any real depth in its message.

Track 4 - Screw the culture
What would be considered the final part of the trilogy involving Track 1 and Track 3. Same basic tune, wrapped up in a simple catchphrase that gets stuck in your head, little depth in its message.

Reply #218
There it is folks. That is a selection from Jims Greatest Hits in a nuthsell folks.

Track 1 - Fev should not go anywhere.
A passionate song, albeit ill conceived. A pop song that got stuck in peoples heads because it had a certain ring to it. In reality there is little depth to its message and it doesn't hold up over time.

Track 2 - Lucas ahead of Talia
That old song that you thought you liked maybe once upon a time, but its been played so many times that it just $hits you up the wall everytime you hear it.

Track 3 - Goals are all that matters
The follow up to track 1. It's about here that you realise that there is very little variety between tracks. They all sound the same. Again, overplayed and overhyped lacking any real depth in its message.

Track 4 - Screw the culture
What would be considered the final part of the trilogy involving Track 1 and Track 3. Same basic tune, wrapped up in a simple catchphrase that gets stuck in your head, little depth in its message.

While you talk crap, I'll point to the scoreboard. Proof is there. Can't argue with facts. It's obvious i'm right on all counts. How much is the culture been helped losing Fev, Robbo, Garlett etc...none. It was all crap. You keep with the theories, I'll stick with practicalities. On-field culture hasn't changed one iota and you know it. All we've done is work our way down the ladder.

Lucas ahead of Talia, a 10yo would know what a stuff up that was so don't make a fool yourself and mention it. I was right, you were wrong. One's a gun and a Rising Star winner the other got delisted. Like you actually think we're all wrong there? No-one could be that stupid. Like really, you think you know everything but you don't live up to it. Save yourself the point scoring and admit you were wrong if you have the manhood.

So quit while you're behind. Saves making yourself look silly.

You'll look smarter deleting the post.

Reply #219
Funny @Kruddler that you also came in here to dispute the Fevola crap and not the 3 years invested in Malthouse and the minimal improvement we have shown.

Obviously you found not a lot of positives last night as well.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #220
Have to admit Krud, you've been going on about this 'changing the culture' thing for a long time, and pulled it out as an excuse for each and every decent player we've lost, and the poor recruitment decision we made in getting Thomas. We're getting worse with the loss of these players, not better.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #221

Whiley's on the injury list....2 weeks with an achilles tendon injury.....be lucky to get up.

Reply #222
Right, enough of this NAB game stuff, ready for the real stuff.
Enough of playing like we don't care, running around in second gear and MM trying players in different positions like Rowe in ruck and Jaksch up forward.
Our first game is in Perth isn't it?
What!........ Oh sh1t, its going to be loooong year ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #223
Whiley's on the injury list....2 weeks with an achilles tendon injury.....be lucky to get up.

Played very well in the practice games against the Box Hill Hawks today apparently.

Reply #224
Mitch Robinson has been trouble his whole career. Garlett had girl problems and decided to hang out with Mitch. I thought they were both good players but they have to abide by team rules.

cannot misrepresent matters to the club.....gone..>>>