Skip to main content
Topic: 2020 SEASON SUSPENDED (Read 8102 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2020 SEASON SUSPENDED

Reply #1
Our first winless season ? 🙈
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #2
Until May 31, which is only a target date, rather than firm. We'll get most of our injured players back. All bar Kreuzer and Charlie. May 31 would've been round 11 so Charlie might not be far off by then. We'll miss Kreuzer then for 6 weeks.

https://www.gold1043.com.au/sport/afl-season-suspended-following-government-action/?fbclid=IwAR23168xGFTuqAw1Ss6lQINGasJiG9lqScG1yaEzRmJVZYAWiCoNQWViZFY

Reply #3
Not exactly a surprise I guess.

Reply #4
They only canned it because our aflw team won their final...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #6
Training is suspended too.

Reply #7
A season into November?  You gotta be kidding.  Draft order for 2021 and based on what?

Cancelling the whole damned thing might have been the wiser decision and give some certainty to next year.

Reply #8
A season into November?  You gotta be kidding.  Draft order for 2021 and based on what?

Cancelling the whole damned thing might have been the wiser decision and give some certainty to next year.

That may well be what eventually happens.  :(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
Cancelled the AFLW when there is a grand total of 3 games left, all finals.

Suspend the AFL season even though there has only been 1 round played.
Just cancel the thing now and put everyone out of our misery.

If the world recovers from Corona virus in time, play some exhibition matches, state or origin round robin or whatever else.

Reply #11
I can't see the AFL ever going back to the myriad of assistants, trainers and medicos, it was just way over the top and COVID-19 has been the trigger the AFL needed to get that under control. The AFL by accident was delivered a way to pry the parasites off it's teat!

I wonder if the AFL will try to take the same opportunity to pull the AFLPA and Club Playing Lists into some sort of rational realignment?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
... and taking that through to its logical conclusion, it'd extend to all other sports and businesses.  The AFL and clubs are not sacred cows immune from change. 

Reply #13
... and taking that through to its logical conclusion, it'd extend to all other sports and businesses.  The AFL and clubs are not sacred cows immune from change.
Most commercial business is already pretty lean though, AFL was bloated and suffering extreme nepotism, perhaps some charities and bureaucracies are more analogous to AFL.

When you look at what some clubs were doing off field in terms of coaching and match-day staffing, those of us who tend towards sarcasm might be forgiven for thinking the clubs were basically making sure they were non-profit!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
Dangerfield loud and proud.

I'm clearly biased, but to me this bloke wants to give nothing and get everything in return, he seems not to have even a minuscule of interest in what is best for the sport in general, yet he dresses his opinion up as exactly that!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/play-it-forward-dangerfield-warns-cuts-would-damage-football-20200503-p54peo.html
The Force Awakens!