Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 67402 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #360
I think a point to make here is that we're a discussion forum.
If we cant be critical and discuss different aspects of the club there's not a lot of point to our existence.

I've found we're a pretty good cross section of members and supporters and over the years are pretty reflective of the general feelings of Carlton folk at any particular time.

My guess is at the moment we're running about 80% in favour of the current direction of the club.
But there are some who are starting to question some aspects of the rebuild.

It's pretty fair to say that continued lack of success will see that support gradually erode.

So the key is 'progress'.

The 2 are not mutually exclusive.
I find myself in both camps.
...but i think your 80% is perhaps a touch swayed by your personal opinion. I think its more. But no point squabbling over the figures.

Reply #361
The odd win provides people with some sort of "confirmation " (I'm not sure of the right word)  that the rebuild is in track.

No wins and people start to lose faith.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #362
Daisy Thomas was on TFS last night and called Curnowfides dumb "and he wouldn't mind me saying that either". He said he has the nickname reindeer because he just gallops around without any idea on what he is going to do. He also said that if his teammates have no idea what he is going to do, how are the opposition supposed to work it out.

So, i guarantee you there are members who dislike his laissez faire approach.

I've got a mad Geelong member mate of mine who absolutely HATED Stevie J, basically for the same reason.

Which is the point, members will not agree. So should they be listened too?

Your contention that the club ALWAYS knows best in relation to supporters can be disproven.
Sydney Swans were looking for a coach. They had (unofficially?) signed Terry Wallace as coach, but due to HUGE supporter backlash and support for another candidate the club was forced to change their mind and go with the majority.
End result, Paul Roos gets signed and wins them their first flag in 73 years.
Club was wrong.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples, but none quite so poignant as that.

Club SHOULD know whats best, but to just assume they do could leave you following a club that has spent the better part of 2 decades rebuilding after it got itself into salary cap issues. ;)

I'm not really sure how you can quote Daisy Thomas (who as far as I can tell is a player, not a supporter) and from that conclude that some supporters may think CC is laissez faire, and therefore not like it ?

The Swans supporter base voted for Roos out of love and loyalty, not football knowledge. Some coaches make it work at one club and not others. Wallace may have netted the Swans 2 or 3 flags, or 2 or 3 spoons. We will never know. The point is that the clubs spend a lot more time and effort in making these decisions, and make them with access to a wealth of knowledge that supporters can only dream of. Us humans are unpredictable buggers. Trying to select the right human for a particular task will never have a 100% success rate. But the right systems, methods and processes are critical. Otherwise we end up with the club equivalent of the car Homer Simpson designed.

Reply #363
The odd win provides people with some sort of "confirmation " (I'm not sure of the right word)  that the rebuild is in track.

No wins and people start to lose faith.

Sometimes no wins give false despair, and sometimes a few wins give false hope - our 2004 regular season and 2005 pre seasons being exhibit A.

Reply #364
...but i think your 80% is perhaps a touch swayed by your personal opinion. I think its more. But no point squabbling over the figures.

Sure
Just a gut feeling...
Poll on TC of 120 odd members is running at 74% in favour of the current direction, 13% no idea, and 14% genuinely concerned or unhappy.
Who knows...I'd guess that the fringe supporter who doesn't belong to any social media groups and doesn't follow club announcements closely is wondering WTF is going on and when will it turn around.

Reply #365
Do a poll if we lose tomorrow. ;D
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #367
Whatever the result tomorrow we just have to put in a very very convincing performance! Maybe "line in the sand"  would be too strong a term but it's pretty damn close.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #368
I'm not really sure how you can quote Daisy Thomas (who as far as I can tell is a player, not a supporter) and from that conclude that some supporters may think CC is laissez faire, and therefore not like it ?

The Swans supporter base voted for Roos out of love and loyalty, not football knowledge. Some coaches make it work at one club and not others. Wallace may have netted the Swans 2 or 3 flags, or 2 or 3 spoons. We will never know. The point is that the clubs spend a lot more time and effort in making these decisions, and make them with access to a wealth of knowledge that supporters can only dream of. Us humans are unpredictable buggers. Trying to select the right human for a particular task will never have a 100% success rate. But the right systems, methods and processes are critical. Otherwise we end up with the club equivalent of the car Homer Simpson designed.

So we can't use Daisy Thomas' evaluation of a player because he isn't a supporter.

Yet, you go on to say that the club knows best.

No comment about the salary cap breaches i threw in there?
Pretty sure supporters would know its not the right way to run a club. ;)

Reply #369
Why would Thomas call C Curnow dumb and tell other clube he has no idea where to run? Just giving ammunition and information to opposition clubs. Can't see how this helps Carlton

Reply #370
Why would Thomas call C Curnow dumb and tell other clube he has no idea where to run? Just giving ammunition and information to opposition clubs. Can't see how this helps Carlton

I think it was more about once he has the ball, rather than when he is trying to get it.

Him being unpredictable to his teammates means the opposition certainly can't plan for him.

Reply #371
My take on it was that Daisy was suggesting CC is goofy, nothing more than that. He suggested he does things in a way that makes him  unpredictable. There was no malice whatsoever.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #372
So we can't use Daisy Thomas' evaluation of a player because he isn't a supporter.

Yet, you go on to say that the club knows best.

No comment about the salary cap breaches i threw in there?
Pretty sure supporters would know its not the right way to run a club. ;)

You stated that no CFC player would be universally loved, then include as "evidence" for this fact comments made by Thomas wrt CC ?

The issue of whether to play by the rules or not is vexed and one that constantly appears in various guises on here. I've lost count of how many posts on here I've read about how we are now a club of goody two shoes, whilst other clubs get away with blue murder because they don't play by the rules. So now that we are honest, law abiding citizens, does that make us well run ? Should we as supporters tell the club we know best because other clubs are rorting the system and gaining an advantage ? Do clubs other than us "know best ?"

Reply #373
My take on it was that Daisy was suggesting CC is goofy, nothing more than that. He suggested he does things in a way that makes him  unpredictable. There was no malice whatsoever.

x2.....I know that Ben Reid at Collingwood is known for being as thick as six fire doors, cant play to instruction and they take the pi55 out of him all the time but the players all love him and its said in jest, Charlie probably is seen as equally goofy/thick but its in an affectionate way and Thomas was only having a bit of fun like mates do....

Reply #374
In the real world you can't expect this list to be anymore than it currently is, given it's demographics.  If at the start of the season Essendon had our list we would have all said that a bottom 2 list.   Otherwise you are getting into Murray Goulbern Areas of telling everyone you will get $4 a litre for milk, when the market wants to pay $2

Our blue chips talent is all at the bottom end age wise.  It's difficult to draw parallels with North who still have Higgins, Goldstein, Robbie Tarrant, Ziebell, Cunnington, Brown all 25 years old with 100 odd games of football?   Who do we have in this bracket to match that?   Our blokes at that age bracket are Kerridge, Lamb, Mullett, Shaw, Phillips, Jones, Casboult, Wright, Curnow, Kreuzer, Lobbe.    Battlers and honest footballers.   These are the guys that are consistent with their performance week in week out.
North haven't cut back like we have.  They still have talent at the top end.    If they traded Zeibell and Higgins maybe.   

In 3-4 years time who will have the better list when this bracket moves on.

So timeframe?

GWS took 4 years to break 50/50, but had a massive injection of young talent.

Maybe similar to the Demons rebuild.    Vintage 2012.

Moved (or lost)  Rivers, Moloney, Stef Martin, Green, Sylvia, Frawley.   Cut the dead wood and didn't have much top end older talent.

2012: 16th 4 wins.   Rebuild Starts
2013:  17th 2 wins
2014:  17th 4 wins
2015:  13th 7 wins.
2016:  11th 10 wins.
2017:  9th  12 wins.

Now Melbourne haven't mastered the rebuild.   It's not the Blueprint, but it shows how long it can take and yes I think it can be done quicker with FA etc.   But you have Gawn (26), Viney (24), Hogan (23), Salem (22), Petracca (22), Hunt (23), Tyson (24) all at that 60-100 game bracket.   Add Oliver and you are on your way.

I would think bottom 4 next year.

Thats a comprehensive answer, you make a lot of good points and I agree with your theory of bottom four next season....while I am happy to agree I'm not so sure the average supporter will see an extended rebuild built on development at the expense of results for too long as acceptable or the media who like a unsuccessful coach/club or two as a target for for headlines....