Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Coburg this Sat on TV (Read 18850 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs. Coburg this Sat on TV

Reply #30
Well I reckon, watching that, Cripps will eventually end up a KP forward. Big boy, certainly looked tall, built like an ox for his age and takes a strong, contested mark.

A Crameri type?

But best work is at stoppages, quick hands inside F50 would make him very useful but I doubt we can waste his stoppage talents.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Well I reckon, watching that, Cripps will eventually end up a KP forward. Big boy, certainly looked tall, built like an ox for his age and takes a strong, contested mark.

A Crameri type?

But best work is at stoppages, quick hands inside F50 would make him very useful but I doubt we can waste his stoppage talents.

Could well be. He'll up up 192-193cm once he's done growing. Certainly going to be big enough for the role.

As I said earlier, the only way this club could land a decent KP player would be by accident.

Reply #32
I thought Holman showed a bit. He tired as the game went on. Was very surprised at the sub standard skills albeit in crapty conditions.
I thought Coburg was cleaner than us considering the amount of AFL listed players we had.

Reply #33
What a sad state of affairs our Club is in....

Reply #34
What a sad state of affairs our Club is in....

Surprised they didn't come out firing considering how much the coach rates them all. :o
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #35

A Crameri type?

Could well be. He'll up up 192-193cm once he's done growing. Certainly going to be big enough for the role.

As I said earlier, the only way this club could land a decent KP player would be by accident.

He currently moves more like a forward than a midfielder.

For all those crying out for the club to play young players - Cripps is the only one who looks to have the physical skills.

Decent game from Graham but Wood was the only listed player who looked to be up to AFL standard.

Bootsma showed endeavour but turned the ball over when he tried to kick short.

Reply #36
Cripps was good and the conditions suited his lack of leg speed...needs to work on his kicking but was a class above everyome else in the NB's and looks a leader.

Temay is another Raso pick......
Holman wins the footy well but his kicking is hurried and sloppy.
Giles needs some more wet weather footy, the kid is a rebounding defender not suited to heavy body work.

Wood was ok in the ruck but not much else around the ground.....

Byrne...no idea in the wet.

Cachia....VFL/SANFL player...not enough class.

Armfield.....annoyed at being in the twos and Laidler markII expect him to be somewhere else next season......

Is Wilkinson the fuzzy haired bloke?.....good intent on the footy but cant kick.....

Luke Webster....NFI.....

Reply #37
Pretty good summaries.

Wasn't a great day but even worse when you consider the lack of positive points from our younger players.

Temay is gone at year's end - was basically a bystander against the second bottom team in the VFL. Delist.
Bootsma was terrible and flogged by both the forwards he manned.
Graham got heaps of the ball but was either caught or kicked it short to a contest. Looks more like an Ellard than a Murphy.
Giles is a long way off.
Watson injured - his man had three shots on goal before he went off.
Holman showed some poise and is a good size - didn't get heaps of the ball.
McInnes was good but mostly because he found space rather than for his defensive skills.
Cameron Wood was dominant in the ruck - but wouldn't play him in front of Casboult.
Cripps was incredibly influential in the second half. Took marks and was strong around the packs. Even brought the team together for a bake at the end of the first half. Shows leadership, talent and footy nous. Not sure we can fix his speed. Definitely has a big future in AFL.
Armfield was better in the second half however his skills are rubbish and has lost some pace. Not the future.
Johnson was ok, Sheehan showed a bit and is a great size. Byrne was out his league and will take a couple of years.

Reply #38

A Crameri type?

Saw him (Cripps) standing next to Waite and Everitt and he was the same height, a couple of bios that i read of him had him listed at 193cm and 91 kg.

Reply #39
I reckon i saw about 5 of Grahams kicks smothered, got a lot of ball but he didn't look that great when he had it.

Bootsma, i just don't understand how we used our first pick on him, he is just absolute poo!

Watson, see Bootsma

Giles and McIness, yuk

Johnson and Reynolds, were they even out there.

Temay and Cachia struggled

I think with Army he is dragged down to VFL standards, when he's in the one's he looks much better.

Wood looked like the only bloke along with Cripps that is of any worth.

Reply #40
2014 Peter Jackson VFL
Northern Blues   1.1  3.3  5.11  9.15 (69)
Coburg   2.0  6.3  11.5  12.6 (78)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Cripps 3 Graham 2 Wilkinson  Armfield  Coulson  Johnson
Coburg: Featherstone 3 Cooper 2 Venditti 2 Saad  Anderson  Christensen  Uysal  Sortino

BEST:
Northern Blues: Cripps Cachia Wilkinson Armfield Wood McInnes
Coburg: Featherstone Cooper Uysal Sturgess Fairbairn Hartley

9 goals 15 behinds: 24 scoring shots to 18. That says a lot about where we are at. We need to work on our skills.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #41
Pretty good summaries.

Wasn't a great day but even worse when you consider the lack of positive points from our younger players.

Temay is gone at year's end - was basically a bystander against the second bottom team in the VFL. Delist.
Bootsma was terrible and flogged by both the forwards he manned.
Graham got heaps of the ball but was either caught or kicked it short to a contest. Looks more like an Ellard than a Murphy.
Giles is a long way off.
Watson injured - his man had three shots on goal before he went off.
Holman showed some poise and is a good size - didn't get heaps of the ball.
McInnes was good but mostly because he found space rather than for his defensive skills.
Cameron Wood was dominant in the ruck - but wouldn't play him in front of Casboult.
Cripps was incredibly influential in the second half. Took marks and was strong around the packs. Even brought the team together for a bake at the end of the first half. Shows leadership, talent and footy nous. Not sure we can fix his speed. Definitely has a big future in AFL.
Armfield was better in the second half however his skills are rubbish and has lost some pace. Not the future.
Johnson was ok, Sheehan showed a bit and is a great size. Byrne was out his league and will take a couple of years.

Nice summary.

The only person who was upset when Watson couldn't return after qtr time was his opponent.

Cripps and Wood are the only two who are ready for senior footy of the NBs. And I hope we bring Cripps on slowly. Still needs time in the NBs and as Ye Rat O' the River wrote he moves much more like a forward than a midfielder.

There's a lot to like about Johnson, Holman, Reynolds, the 'Ciarans'... but they will need lots of time in the seconds to be AFL ready. At least they show promise.

Don't know what Den Den has done? I'd have him in front of Lucas every day of the week.

Temay, Bootsma, Graham... oh dear.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #42
Would you guys say Cripps is any slower than say a Jab Watson or a Josh Kennedy? Whilst his speed may not improve he can become more powerful which would give him a bit if an edge with that size about him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #43
2014 Peter Jackson VFL
Northern Blues   1.1  3.3  5.11  9.15 (69)
Coburg   2.0  6.3  11.5  12.6 (78)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Cripps 3 Graham 2 Wilkinson  Armfield  Coulson  Johnson
Coburg: Featherstone 3 Cooper 2 Venditti 2 Saad  Anderson  Christensen  Uysal  Sortino

BEST:
Northern Blues: Cripps Cachia Wilkinson Armfield Wood McInnes
Coburg: Featherstone Cooper Uysal Sturgess Fairbairn Hartley

9 goals 15 behinds: 24 scoring shots to 18. That says a lot about where we are at. We need to work on our skills.

2.8 in the third quarter!!

4.6 would have won them the game.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44
Unless you're an elite runner a midfield player needs something... Cripps has tricks, fast hands and raw mass to offset a lack of lateral mobility.

I don't understand the rush to play Graham as he needs a lot of development.  Plays like junior footy... gees can he find the pill but were is his opponent?  Gets a million kicks but half are smothered and the rest go nowhere.  I guess he at least knows where to run and how to get the pill  and you can't teach that but I can't see him - in his current guise - cutting up an AFL midfield.  Physically he has a long long way to go if you compare him to mids who play a similar role elsewhere eg Beams.  Again, rational expectations required.

As for the other mids, Holman looks like decent starting material but his disposal is iffy and Cachia looks "More Ellard than Murphy" as another poster put it.  We really need to get in some elite ball users and pace because I don't see that developing on the current list.

Featherstone outmarked Giles a couple of times one on one  (he was playing from behind) and based on yesterday Giles isn't a KPD.  He is another that needs some mass and time and playing him at senior AFL and expecting him to do well is not a realistic expectation.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?