Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Coburg this Sat on TV (Read 18852 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs. Coburg this Sat on TV

Reply #45
I'd like to see Watson played across half forward. Persisting with him in the backline for years now has been a complete and utter disaster. Has a golden boot and the club is crying out for anyone who can hit the side of a barn from outside 50m.

Bootsma is just a waste of space...that chip kick to the Coburg player 30m directly in front...EEEEEkk !

Cripps is the future but I'd be leaving him in the 2nds this year. He needs to get through the season without the physical punishment of the seniors. Getting a full pre-season into him is a must.

Giles not sure...did look exposed and will need all of 2 years to start showing any key position ability. A keeper at this stage.

Johnson & Holman showed something, but there is a question mark on Graham - not sure he has the polish to cover the lack of legspeed.

Reply #46
@Debster

Yes I think it's been well proven now that Watson will never be an AFL standard defender. He needs to be tried now at HF to see if we could capitalise on his mighty boot. If he's no good there then see ya latter at year's end.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #47
Cripps is the future but I'd be leaving him in the 2nds this year. He needs to get through the season without the physical punishment of the seniors.

Got a fair dose of physical punishment yesterday with that whack to the nose that drew the claret. ;)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #48
Cripps is the future but I'd be leaving him in the 2nds this year. He needs to get through the season without the physical punishment of the seniors.

Got a fair dose of physical punishment yesterday with that whack to the nose that drew the claret. ;)

Didn't even get a free kick & Coburg had a great run of frees & 50's  >:D

Reply #49
I'd like to see Watson played across half forward. Persisting with him in the backline for years now has been a complete and utter disaster. Has a golden boot and the club is crying out for anyone who can hit the side of a barn from outside 50m.

Tuohy is a better kick than Watson b/c the glacier kicks it too high.

If Watto wants a career as a professional footballer, he should try the NFL where someone throws the ball to him and he only needs to kick it high and long.

Reply #50
http://northernbluesfc.com.au/news/377-nbfc-news-lions-grab-spoils-in-historic-suburban-clash.html

Lions grab spoils in historic suburban clash

The Northern Blues succumbed to their second straight defeat, on this occasion a nine-point loss to local rivals Coburg at Preston City Oval today.

The 9.15. (69) to 12.6. (78) result was the first victory for Coburg this year and their first as a standalone club since 2000, having terminated their affiliation with Richmond last year.

The loss brings the Blues’ tally back to three wins and two losses after a perfect start to the season after Round 3.

A tight opening term saw only three goals kicked, with the Lions taking a five-point lead at the first interval, mainly due to the brilliance of tall forward Lech Featherstone.

A finger injury to key defender Matthew Watson further compounded the woes for the Blues, who trailed by as much as 31 points midway through the second term.

However, clutch goals to Carlton youngsters Patrick Cripps and Nick Graham saw the deficit reduced to only 18 at the main change, and momentum was all Northern’s.

The opening of the second half saw the Blues pressing and dominating the ball, yet inaccuracy in front of goal cost Northern dearly.

Five straight behinds for the Blues were sandwiched by three Coburg goals, spread evenly amongst the team as Featherstone’s influence was quelled.

It set the platform for fellow forward Daniel Cooper to chime in with two goals, while Ozgur Uysal and Andew Sturgess also impressed for the Lions.

As the rain came down at Preston City Oval, it seemed as though Coburg’s five goal lead at three quarter time time would see the 150th instalment of this rivalry comfortably go the way of the Lions.

Quick goals to Cripps (three) and Dennis Armfield firmly put the pressure on Coburg as a stoppage-ladened final term saw the Blues come roaring home with a head full of steam.

Once again, poor conversion ensured that any chance of another infamous Northern Blues comeback would be unsuccessful, with the Blues ultimately going down by nine points.

After half-time, the Blues kicked 6.12 in comparison to Coburg’s 6.6, and will be lamenting missed opportunities late on.

In his first VFL outing since the round one comeback against Williamstown, first round selection Cripps again proved to be a huge factor for the Blues finishing with 22 disposals and significant influence in the final term.

The supply for the midfield group came through the assertive dominance of Cameron Wood, whose 19 disposals came as a sideshow to a whopping 73 hit outs for the game.

His influence saw the likes of Graham (31 disposals, seven clearances), Jaryd Cachia (27 disposals) and impressive debutant Jesse Tardio get first use of the football.

However, from there, Andrew McInnes - back in the side this week after missing through injury against Werribee - stood up, while vice-captain Joel Wilkinson provided plenty of run and carry of a back flank.

While the Blues had more of the ball (351-294 disposals), it was the efficiency and fast ball movement from the Lions which proved to be too troublesome for Northern.

Speaking post-match, coach Luke Webster said that next week’s game against Casey would require a four-quarter effort if the Blues were to end the run of two consecutive losses.

“We’re still in front of the ledger in terms of wins and losses and we have to move on before the game against Casey next week,” Webster said.

“We have to really concentrate on giving four quarters of consistent footy and effort, which we haven’t produced so far this season.”

Webster gave credit to his side for their last quarter display in which they almost snatched the four points, with late comebacks becoming a trademark of the Blues this season.

“The guys could’ve rolled over but they kept going and we saw in the first three rounds the spirit amongst the group to keep going. But in the end it was missed opportunities which cost us, as otherwise it could have been a different result.”

The Blues host the Casey Scorpions at Visy Park next Saturday at 2pm.

NORTHERN BLUES                 1.1       3.3       5.11     9.15. (69)
COBURG LIONS                     2.0       6.3       11.5     12.6. (78)

GOALS: Cripps 3, Johnson, Graham, Armfield, Coulson, Wilkinson, Cattapan

BEST: Cripps, Wood, Graham, Wilkinson, McInnes, Cachia

As a side note, Joel Wilkinson is an ex GC Sun, who got delisted and showed a bit on saturday.  He might come into the rookie list conversation at the end of the year.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #51
Mixed feelings about this game  ???

As a Coburg boy, there was nothing worse than losing to Preston.  I still remember Ray Shaw playing an amazing game at Coburg oval to steal a win.  That was the season he won the Liston and I was playing basketball against him the night of the count.  He played basketball like he played footy; fast and liberal with elbows and mouth.

It's a bit of a quandary but I think my heritage requires me to support Coburg when we play them.  I'm happy to support the NBs in all other games.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball