Skip to main content
Topic: Pass Mark 2015 (Read 66034 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pass Mark 2015

Reply #30
Funnily enough I walked right past MM on Collins St the other day. Pass is making finals so top 8 and that would be a good result I reckon.

Not that I am happy with that or we are only that good but to get any higher than 7-8 would mean that we have hardly any serious injuries, Gibbs, Murph, Hendo, Yarran pretty much have to have AA years and a bunch of the others have to become really solid players i.e Menzel, Cripps etc.

That is where the improvement has to come from, relying on players like Walker etc to have a year like he did a couple years ago helps but in my opinion won't take us where we need to go.

Reply #31
Funnily enough I walked right past MM on Collins St the other day. Pass is making finals so top 8 and that would be a good result I reckon.

Not that I am happy with that or we are only that good but to get any higher than 7-8 would mean that we have hardly any serious injuries, Gibbs, Murph, Hendo, Yarran pretty much have to have AA years and a bunch of the others have to become really solid players i.e Menzel, Cripps etc.

That is where the improvement has to come from, relying on players like Walker etc to have a year like he did a couple years ago helps but in my opinion won't take us where we need to go.

Did you give him a mark as you passed?  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
Win a final.

Reply #33
Anything less than a top four finish would be a fail.

What makes you think this is possible given we just finished 13th?

It's been done before.
It's not impossible. ;)

Never said it was impossible, just wondering what kind of logic was applied when coming to that conclusion.

Based on follow up responses it appears, very little.

People fall into the Mick was hired to win us a premiership way of thinking. They ignore the fact that we were not quite as good as we thought we were, so have hit a little speed hump in the meantime.

Would people prefer that we chased played like Cooney and tried to make a run at the flag and most likely fail.
OR
Would people prefer that we take stock, evaluate our list and make some tough calls to set us up for a better chance at a flag in the next few years.

Personally, i prefer to think the latter.
IMO Mick was hired to get the club into a position to win a flag. Not necessarily in his first 3 years as coach, but set us up for long term success.

You can't buy flags anymore. It takes hard work and everyone pulling in the right direction from el presidente down to the boot studder. Mick is steering the ship the way we need to go and it may take longer than they think, but we've got a better chance of getting there then with someone like Ratten IMO.

Reply #34
Anything less than a top four finish would be a fail.

What makes you think this is possible given we just finished 13th?

It's been done before.
It's not impossible. ;)

Never said it was impossible, just wondering what kind of logic was applied when coming to that conclusion.

Based on follow up responses it appears, very little.

The fact is Kruds that an opinion was offered.
You initial response was dismissive.
So was this one.

If I've learned anything from nearly 50 years of following this game its that you can 'guess' till your blue in  the face but most of the time your prediction of a finishing position will be wrong.

We have no idea how injuries will impact on our season.
We have no idea how our older players will come up....and most importantly of all, we have absolutely no idea how our younger players will improve and how our recruits will fit into the side

In reality it has little to do with opinions of Malthouse..... but he's a key element.
If he can get a dramatic improvement out of several younger players,
If our older players can hold their form,
and 
If we have a bit of luck with injuries and return from injuries then we're well on the way.
Yep...a lot of "ifs" but none of them totally unrealistic

Is that logical enough?

Reply #35
I agree with what you've said Lods, i said similar. It is dependent on how a lot of things go...including opposition.

My response was dismissive, because he said he didn't think it was possible and it is just a swipe at Malthouse because he was hired to win us a flag. He wont make top 4, so he's failed, thus we fire him.

My post was to point out that whichever way you look at his hiring, the goal posts have changed. Thinking otherwise is naive.

As i said in my post, we could go relatively deep in finals if the stars align for us. But by the other side of the coin, if we get another 'bad luck' season, we'll struggle to get higher than 13th.

Reply #36
Much of this proves to me the evenness of the competition. A little bit of luck either way, good or bad can be the difference between top 4 and 13th !!

A couple of close wins or a Key player going down with injury in the 1st qtr of a game can be enough to completely change the fortune of a whole season.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #37
Much of this proves to me the evenness of the competition. A little bit of luck either way, good or bad can be the difference between top 4 and 13th !!

We're actually closer to a flag now at 13the than we were when we finished 5th  :))

Reply #38

We're actually closer to a flag now at 13the than we were when we finished 5th  :))

On paper and in theory you would consider this to be the case. Wait to see what else we get in the draft.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #39
I wonder what KPIs have been set for 2015  :-\

I'd be interested to see what the club sees as meaningful indicators and what is acceptable level of performance.

If it was up to me, I would have one KPI; percentage greater than 100.  So, I guess that is my considered pass mark.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #40

OMG that is gold! :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #41
I wonder what KPIs have been set for 2015  :-\

I'd be interested to see what the club sees as meaningful indicators and what is acceptable level of performance.

If it was up to me, I would have one KPI; percentage greater than 100.  So, I guess that is my considered pass mark.

At least with Ratts he was transparent and set the benchmark for the side every year. How about Mick let us know what we're aiming for as well?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #42
6-8 is being generous, i think we'll finish in between 8-12th

Reply #43
Not quite focused on ladder position for the moment.

For me, a pass would be :
- stringing together 4,5, maybe in my wildest dreams even six wins on the trot.
- knocking over two of the sides that will likely finish top 4 - Swans, Hawks Frockers etc.
- 4 quarters of sustained effort, week in, week out
- consolidation of form of players like White, Rowe, Gibbs - no sliding backwards please.

That'll do for now.

Reply #44
Not quite focused on ladder position for the moment.

For me, a pass would be :
- stringing together 4,5, maybe in my wildest dreams even six wins on the trot.
- knocking over two of the sides that will likely finish top 4 - Swans, Hawks Frockers etc.
- 4 quarters of sustained effort, week in, week out
- consolidation of form of players like White, Rowe, Gibbs - no sliding backwards please.

That'll do for now.

That's a top 4 side  ;)